John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps Jasper's intent was make a living, a highly dubious and suspicious activity in itself, and he determined that his market required being fed somewhat bombastic propoganda, because of their mindset, in order to secure decent sales. It might be time to force makers of exotic cars to renounce having ads with half naked models draped over them - after all, what relevance is that to the vehicle's 'capabilities', ;) ...

Yes, but that's not what the propaganda pushes - it's aiming to embellish the attractiveness of its wares by emphasising aspects which have nothing to do with on road performance.

Apparently the Bybee does make a difference - enough people have reported such, and I have over and over again done things which "shouldn't make a difference" ... but, they do, so I'm happy to believe that there is "something" to this device.

So, then you decide whether the difference is better, or worse, and whether the "improvement" is worth the money ... or, most useful of all, whether the same result can be achieved using some established, understood, low cost mechanism ...

You CAN avoid the usefulness of Bybee's in your power line. Just have a CLEAN power line. Some people actually DO have pretty clean power lines. Other people use ACTIVE power line 'cleaners' and they apparently work even better. Still other people use an oscillator driven power amp, and they work pretty good too, I am told. I just use Bybees because I already have them in my system and they work for me.

Devil In The Details...

I stumbled upon the "good sound" purely by accident, which is why all this talk of DBT to me is meaningless gibberish. No-one told me, persuaded me that such could happen, there was nothing in magazines, in the audio community in print or in person that hinted of the possibility. Yet, there was the 'effect', I could make it come and go on command so to speak, though it was much easier to make it go, :(.

Care to elaborate ?.

Dan.

Apparently the Bybee does make a difference - enough people have reported such, and I have over and over again done things which "shouldn't make a difference" ... but, they do, so I'm happy to believe that there is "something" to this device.

So, then you decide whether the difference is better, or worse, and whether the "improvement" is worth the money ... or, most useful of all, whether the same result can be achieved using some established, understood, low cost mechanism ...
Fully agreed Frank.
I also have read many accounts of subjective changes accorded to BQP's, although not all have been entirely positive.
I have also had a first person discussion with a user and his opinion was entirely positive.
I am curious about these items, and would like to take a listen.

Is there anybody here knows somebody in Perth who has some ?.

Dan.

Sometimes the Bybee devices change the sound in the wrong way. I was with Jack at a local Hi fi Dealer when his devices took away the sound 'balance'. We quickly packed up and went to lunch.
I have had 'negative' sound characteristics with the audio inline Bybee devices. With electrostatic headphones, it made some CD's too dull. It was like the CD sounded recorded with a condenser mike, yet with the Bybee inserted, it sounded like a dynamic mike was used. I wish I knew what they originally recorded with.
However, I would not waste my time trying to get Bybee devices, today.
Their effect is subtle, and other investments are more worthwhile, UNLESS you have a really good hi end system. Then they often make all the difference.

Sometimes the Bybee devices change the sound in the wrong way. I was with Jack at a local Hi fi Dealer when his devices took away the sound 'balance'. We quickly packed up and went to lunch.
I have had 'negative' sound characteristics with the audio inline Bybee devices. With electrostatic headphones, it made some CD's too dull. It was like the CD sounded recorded with a condenser mike, yet with the Bybee inserted, it sounded like a dynamic mike was used. I wish I knew what they originally recorded with.
However, I would not waste my time trying to get Bybee devices, today.
Their effect is subtle, and other investments are more worthwhile, UNLESS you have a really good hi end system. Then they often make all the difference.
Thanks John, interesting information.
Can it be that the Bybees consequently change relative and/or absolute levels of harmonics, and the 'negative' sound is actually reduction of the aurally 'exciting' harmonics.
What is the subjective effect of the Bybees on programme with 'wrong' highs and harmonic content in your experience ?.

Dan.

Its amazing how much discussion a 0.25 Ohm resistor can generate, its also interesting how we can influence our beliefs.
Just because a million people (well less) say the bybee has an effect the actual factual data shows they are wrong. There are even more inane audiophile devices that people claim change the sound, but these are also pure snake oil.
These distractions and tomfoolery avoid us discussing sensibly the real issues that we have to face in audio reproduction, and make audiophiles look like fools in the eyes of a lot of non-audiophiles.
So while some may think they are moving audio reproduction forward, they are actually promoting the esoteric non-scientific myths that do nothing but create ridicule.
Wake up and smell the physics, the acoustics etc.
Pages and pages on a non-entity device and others like it, why not the same discussion on room acoustics or some real problems.
Everyday some new found sound improving discovery appears on the site, or some fact that science in general has overlooked, such as low level noise being stored with a digital music file, so we get a new Guru promoting his way out thesis and collecting a band of equally deranged followers, who when faced with any opposition or open debate regarding there theory resort to hand waving and general sulkiness....
As to the Bybees, there are numerous threads not only on this forum where the construction and effects have been examined and measured, look round and have a read at the info, have a look at the funniest snake oil threads for links to other audio devices that will improve your sound. But again I will ask this question: Why, if it is such a good device at reducing noise, can you not find the BQP anywhere but in audiophile shops and in audio systems... Why is it only available to audiophiles, please someone answer.(And don't bother with the secret mill stuff, cos it isn't used there either).

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Not quite, I've been working with computers for 3.5 decades, CT scanners, Cray's, but the advance is somewhat swift for my taste.

(then, I was raised to use what goes by the name John-farmer-whistle sense here, and do not abide to trends and fads. So far I'm right nine of ten times, whether it's real estate bubbles, bank crisis, stock markets, technology fashions, advertising, or BS of any flavor).

You said it with your own words. :)

But trends and fads aside (gadgets), BCI outcome will impress us gradually, otherwise.

Each morning, I call myself an idiot when I look into the mirror, that helps

I have a problem when Humphrey Bogart shows on the image side and smiles with that smile.

George

Its a resistor, nothing more, there is no magic, and as stated WHY is it only available to audiophiles, and not to the general electronics community
There is NO hard evidence on the net regarding its operation, just marketing BS and made up speculation, if you can point me to any real evidence then I shall look at it!!
What sort of series element, resistor? But they are linear...

Jan, I know,:(
Its a pity, a while back I was involved in a good discussion regarding record pick up amplifiers or signal conditioners in the cartridge head. I found it interesting and was learning something from those in the know about such things, the discussion was ended rather suddenly so we could discuss the real issues in audio, i.e. the cr*p sound of digital and BQPs:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.