John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Genetic modifications happen spontaneously, as the result of changed conditions, selection, etc... For example, the next year I am going to use again seeds of the biggest sunflowers that grew on my front-yard. Such I way I will select genetically different sunflowers.

More harm is done by "traditional" food preparations, when in order to get better taste vital ingredients are removed from food, while other chemicals added. For example, refined salt, pasteurized milk, refined sugar, refined flour. Our body perceives the taste using it as feedback that is distorted actually, getting less nutrition it needs, more it does not, plus additional chemicals used in refinement process. Screwing feedbacks in self-regulating systems we screw them.

Last edited:
It is not!

It seems to be unlawful to claim GMO-free, as that is impossible to establish or prove.

See here: The Right to Know: Why GMO Labeling Law Isn’t So Black and White – Tomorrow's Table .

"Food Labeling in the U.S.
"In the U.S., food labeling is overseen by the FDA according to the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FDCA). The FDA first discussed the labeling of biotechnology food products in 1992, with a policy statement titled “Foods Derived From New Plant Varieties.” In it, the FDA said it had no reason to single out bioengineered foods for special labeling, because recombinant DNA techniques were really just extensions of traditional methods for developing new plant varieties–such as hybridization–which had not received special attention in the past. Without decent evidence that bioengineered foods differed from their conventional counterparts in terms of safety, the FDA determined that they should be labeled with the same name (called the “common” or “usual” name) as the conventional crop (i.e., “corn” or “tomatoes”)."

"Some groups are now demanding that the FDA allow voluntary labeling for “No GMO” or “GMO Free” products. While the FDA does not punish producers for labeling their products as such, they do discourage that practice. In January 2001, the FDA announced a “draft guidance” (a non-binding document that informally tells people how to act in a way that won’t attract the ire of the agency) outlining the reasons against voluntary labeling of food products as “GMO Free.” The FDA had three major concerns, which I’ve taken the liberty of paraphrasing below:
"1) that the terms “GMO,” “GM,” and “GE,” were not technically precise and did nothing to inform the average consumer, and that “genetic modification” was overly broad, since it would include conventional means of generating new plant varieties (the FDA prefers the terms “bioengineering” or “biotechnology”–which they use interchangeably–to distinguish newer transgenic processes from conventional practices);
"2) that the term “free” implied “zero,” and that the prevalence of bioengineered products made such a claim false, misleading, or unprovable; and
"3) that the label would be misleading to the extent that it implied that foods not labeled as “GMO free” were in some way unsafe or inferior (a claim that is, in the FDA’s opinion, unsubstantiated by the scientific literature)."

I've done a little googling on this, but so far I've not found any substance to this claim. I did find a website where this claim is made, but that site is actually run by a guy who used to be a marketing consultant, his bio has nothing on it indicating that he had an education.

While this topic may be real and important, at this moment it looks to me more like the call phone cancer drivel we've been subjected to over the years.

?

jn

John,

I'm back from my breaks....

I did my usual sideways view at the issue and looked at what seed is being sold to the farmers. It seems most of the premium seed is being sold as if there is some genetic modifications, but the actual details are lacking. They do show the hybrid details though.

Now to catch up on a bit...

Scott,

If SG has measured capacitors and found almost no V*dC/dt distortion and you find some of the same type that were measured to be microphonic, is there a reasonable explanation for the difference? CB made sure there was DC across the devices. Now some may consider it less than optimum practice to use interstage capacitors without a DC level shift.

The second issue is that of modeling DA. I believe you will find a current dependent series resistor is a better model than a fixed resistor.

Now we do disagree on the waveform that music presents. I did have a group here laughing when I mentioned to them there are folks arguing that music can be considered periodic and modeled by Fourier series.

(An interesting side issue was how much data is lost even getting the information through a microphone before any additional processing!)

RN

I presented a while back, a relay circuit wired as a buzzer just to inject noise back into AC lines. This is for an article I am working on about power supply design. I did show some pictures.

Now as to power line inductance and the EMI models. It is usually assumed when you want to send RF across power lines you need to use capacitors to jump across any distribution transformers. However from the one and only 13KV distribution transformer that I looked at it does pass RFI quite nicely at some frequencies and attenuates others. (Out of band resonances, whood a thunk it!)

John again,

I was glad to see you inject some sense into real world cable inductance. I used to have an RLC box that allowed you to listen to the effects of 2 x 12 THHN in 3/4" conduit by 100' steps to 1000'. (Loaned it to a consultant and haven't seen it since.) The surprising conclusion was that for commercial 8 ohm loudspeakers the level dropped and there were minor frequency response changes, nothing objectionable.

My back of envelope calculation says that for figure of merit home wiring the inductance losses are greater than the resistive ones above 1600 hz. The maximum load losses should be less than 5% or around .5 db and will be much lower in normal use.

ES

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
GMO affects the body. Positive ways ?

A good overview and starting point for some here is Wikipedia - genetically modified food. Then go thru every foot note and reference and subject and see where it leads you.

Address the fact that white blood cell count goes up with GMO and not with non GMO. That alone is disturbing - how the body reacts to GMO and the affects thereof, internally. Where's the proof that GMO is better for you than non gmo?

Thx, RNM

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
John,

I'm back from my breaks....

I did my usual sideways view at the issue and looked at what seed is being sold to the farmers. It seems most of the premium seed is being sold as if there is some genetic modifications, but the actual details are lacking. They do show the hybrid details though.

Now to catch up on a bit...

Scott,

If SG has measured capacitors and found almost no V*dC/dt distortion and you find some of the same type that were measured to be microphonic, is there a reasonable explanation for the difference? CB made sure there was DC across the devices. Now some may consider it less than optimum practice to use interstage capacitors without a DC level shift.

The second issue is that of modeling DA. I believe you will find a current dependent series resistor is a better model than a fixed resistor.

Now we do disagree on the waveform that music presents. I did have a group here laughing when I mentioned to them there are folks arguing that music can be considered periodic and modeled by Fourier series.

(An interesting side issue was how much data is lost even getting the information through a microphone before any additional processing!)

RN

I presented a while back, a relay circuit wired as a buzzer just to inject noise back into AC lines. This is for an article I am working on about power supply design. I did show some pictures.

Now as to power line inductance and the EMI models. It is usually assumed when you want to send RF across power lines you need to use capacitors to jump across any distribution transformers. However from the one and only 13KV distribution transformer that I looked at it does pass RFI quite nicely at some frequencies and attenuates others. (Out of band resonances, whood a thunk it!)

John again,

I was glad to see you inject some sense into real world cable inductance. I used to have an RLC box that allowed you to listen to the effects of 2 x 12 THHN in 3/4" conduit by 100' steps to 1000'. (Loaned it to a consultant and haven't seen it since.) The surprising conclusion was that for commercial 8 ohm loudspeakers the level dropped and there were minor frequency response changes, nothing objectionable.

My back of envelope calculation says that for figure of merit home wiring the inductance losses are greater than the resistive ones above 1600 hz. The maximum load losses should be less than 5% or around .5 db and will be much lower in normal use.

ES

The 'tangent' of Ls of ac power wiring is not much involved for audio-video home systems;

Incoming unwanted freqs are generally low to nil compared to what is generated within the home. LF, HF and RFI generated within the home itself is the issue and problem.

The distances within the home and of the interconnected A-V system equipment is relatively short -- often power cord lengths going to a common-bussed power strip that assures all unwanted freqs generated are available to the entire A-V system, virtually unattenuated by power wiring and cords.

Thx,
Richard Marsh

Last edited:
One perspective is that we eat, and are eaten, by our relatives in the biosphere. We all grew up together and live cheek by jowl. Each adult human includes about three pounds of other (other DNA) critters, about ten times as many of "them" than of "us" (our-DNA cells). Without these "others" we'd be very ill quickly.

We're an integrated part of a poorly and vaguely understood whole, and as such should exercize good conservative engineering practice and respect our own ignorance.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
By the way, nobody has any idea who and when domesticated wild wheat. It happened suddenly in history, with sudden appearance of developed civilizations. However the most logical answer would be, genetic engineering. But who could do that according to our view on progress in the history?

We eat genetically modified bread. It is very different from wild one. Is it bad, or good?

hoo boy! Another Sophomoric (bad sense) Running of the Time/Frequency Strawman

Now we do disagree on the waveform that music presents. I did have a group here laughing when I mentioned to them there are folks arguing that music can be considered periodic and modeled by Fourier series

too easy to find mathematically impaired audiences

continuing to repeat this on diy-audo in the face of repeated explanations proves the ignorance is willful on some participant's part

the simplest "patch" to Fourier theory and practical time limited data is to "loop" the recording - then it is periodic, Fourier Series "perfectly" represents it

the Time Series and the full complex Fourier Series are mathematical "Duals" - contain the exact same information, can in principle be "losslessly" converted back and forth - up to numerical rounding limits

for practicing engineers this is usually sufficient explanation - I have never taken advanced courses but have heard as a part of "engineering culture" that much like mathematicians would say you don't "understand" elementary Calculus unless you have mastered the material in a Analysis course, the Heaviside Step functions, "Generalized Function Theory" put a firm mathematical basis under "one sided" and finite "Fourier" analysis

it would be interesting to know how many of this easily amused audience can reliably ABX modern perceptual compression lossy Codecs that rely on short fft to toss >75% of the Shannon-Hartley Channel Capacity of CD

or how they rationalize using Mbaud QAM broadband modems to post their nonsense over links involving thousands of ft of 50 yr old voice band twisted pair telephone cable – if in their opinion the math is laughable, the engineers are foolish

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
John C --
A closely related issue is how we in the west define what is true and what isnt. The list of cancer causing elements continues to grow. That list is short however compared to suspected list. To get on the' known' cause of cancel list takes a lot to convence beyond a shadow of doubt .. sometimes a quick cause and affect is known to get on the list. Many on the known cancer causing list were once on the suspected list, first. Its a warning list - use at your own risk.

There are some who will still maintain that there is no hard evidence that smoking tobbaco causes lung cancer. [Would a short time DBT show it to be a cause? Long observation of cause and affect works better? JC - Not unlike audio DBT?]

I see the GMO in a similar fashion at this point - a warning. Yet some country's scientist have gone beyond insisting on hard data only and believe there are other tests - metadata, statistical analysis et al is strong enough proof of correlation and have banned it.

Thx, Richard Marsh

Last edited:
A good overview and starting point for some here is Wikipedia - genetically modified food. Then go thru every foot note and reference and subject and see where it leads you.
Interesting read. Apparently, most of the studies (in wiki) which "proved" GMO was bad had the SAME data re analyzed by independent scientific organizations. The most common result was that the origional study statistics were flawed.

I do worry about BT modification however..Clearly, inducing the vegetable to produce a pesticide is not what I would call a good thing. Duh..

Address the fact that white blood cell count goes up with GMO and not with non GMO. That alone is disturbing
Oddly enough, the first google hit for me on "gmo white blood cell count" was the marketing consultant's website..the second was "top food and habits to increase white blood cell count".

So I guess we can't win this one, eh? it's bad if white blood cell count goes up, but it's important to make it go up???
Where's the proof that GMO is better for you than non gmo?
Thx, RNM
Unfortunately, genetic selection of hybrid species can fall under the exact same question...how can one prove that the tomatoe which is bigger or redder is better for you than the old ones? Where's the proof that pasta cooked al dente is better for you??

When perusing ANY website on the internet which purports to be a watchdog for humans, do yourself a favor..go to the "about us" section. Find out who is trying to convince you, what their agenda is, and do they have the credentials needed to actually understand what they talk about. Chances of finding the money trail is poor.

Farmers? That's easy, GM seeds are IP, farmers want lower cost.

If a GMO doesn't produce better yield, it ain't worth it. If it produces toxins, same thing.

The next time I read a study of rats being fed a diet consisting of ONLY potatoes for half their life, I think I'm gonna puke. It's like that girl who ate only chicken nuggets...what was she thinking and what was she expecting as an outcome?

jn

too easy to find mathematically impaired audiences

continuing to repeat this on diy-audo in the face of repeated explanations proves the ignorance is willful on some participant's part

the simplest "patch" to Fourier theory and practical time limited data is to "loop" the recording - then it is periodic, Fourier Series "perfectly" represents it

the Time Series and the full complex Fourier Series are mathematical "Duals" - contain the exact same information, can in principle be "losslessly" converted back and forth - up to numerical rounding limits

for practicing engineers this is usually sufficient explanation - I have never taken advanced courses but have heard as a part of "engineering culture" that much like mathematicians would say you don't "understand" elementary Calculus unless you have mastered the material in a Analysis course, the Heaviside Step functions, "Generalized Function Theory" put a firm mathematical basis under "one sided" and finite "Fourier" analysis

Actually three generations of DSP engineers including a few PHD's.

Yes, you can do a Fourier transform of a music wavefront, all you need is six matched microphones (for directionality) and a bandwidth more than twice the music's (500 khz should do) and of course resolution from a bit below the noise floor to the maximum amplitude (26 bits or so.)

Now when you loop it and use multiple averages of that you are not doing an accurate capture.

If you are up to it just model a drumstick striking the drum head.

Address the fact that white blood cell count goes up with GMO and not with non GMO. That alone is disturbing - how the body reacts to GMO and the affects thereof, internally. Where's the proof that GMO is better for you than non gmo?

Thx, RNM

The issue of GMO is complicated.
One thing is, as I wrote earlier, that research costs a lot of money and need sponsors. Most sponsors with deep pockets are corporate with interests and investments in GMO. Again, the FDA is highly influenced by a certain corporate invested in GMO.
Another thing is that there is a huge variety of GMO and one product may bear different health impact than another.
On top of that GMO products aren't around long enough to study long terms effects.

Personally, I go by my intuitive feeling – I shun all GMO products as much as I can. Of course I have no proof to base upon that choice of mine; I neither need a proof nor am I going to wait for one.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
It ran at 44,100 and with 350 taps corrected down to about 120 Hz.
The speaker was measured with a MLSSA system ran on an external clock at 44.1 K so I didn't need to sample rate convert as that required a Sun work station at the time. Best results used an average of polar measurements and limited correction. I found that it was easy to get carried away with too much correction, started with a good speaker and then applied the correction. It gave the best impulse response I ever saw. Alas it was a product that required the consumer be educated and that was part of its downfall but it was educational for me.

There are some who will still maintain that there is no hard evidence that smoking tobbaco causes lung cancer.
Let me guess...avid smokers, cigarette retailers, senators from the southeast, RJR executives...

I see the GMO in a similar fashion at this point - a warning. Yet some country's scientist have gone beyond insisting on hard data only and believe there are other tests - metadata, statistical analysis et al is strong enough proof of correlation and have banned it.

Thx, Richard Marsh
Did you just say they banned metadata, statistical analysis, or just banned proof of correlation? :p

While it is VERY important to listen to the anecdotal accounts, it is also very important to NOT follow a bandwagon of ice cream science.

The best example I can think of would be powerline caused cancer in children. There was a correlation between incidences and proximity of schools to power lines. Turns out, the land under the lines was the cheapest real estate, so districts put schools there. As it also turned out, the power lines were put there because the land was contaminated with carcinogenic chemicals, and it was not sellable for residential use. OOPS..

Imagine ignoring the anecdotal accounts in that case? 60 hz EM fields do not have enough energy to cause genetic mutation, so to casually dismiss it would have been very bad.

To me, the GMO issue is also a complex one. In today's world, it's trivial for any crackpot to put up some pseudoscience on a well dressed website that others will believe..

My jury is still out, but I remain aware of the issue. With all this "there is no such thing as global warming" record breaking hottest summer in history, it may yet be GM created heat and drought resistant strains that'll pull our butts outta the fire..

jn

btw, where are all those global warming deniers now?
pps. does anybody remember the starting study for cell phone and cancer?? More cancers on the side of the head the user put the phone.. Years later somebody reviewed the data...99 cases were studied, 50 cancers on the side of the phone, 49 on the opposite..

Last edited:
Yah, but how do you know they haven't been drinking martini's made from genetically engineered potatoe vodka??

You have a very weird way of preparing a chicken dinner..

jn

They had just arrived to do lunch, so any drinking was to come.

They understood the issue was the under-sampled and improperly selected samples. When you confine your search you miss what is out of the target area. The other issue was that Fourier is limited to periodic signals not unit impulses.

By that I don't mean the impulse to lick your fingers after eating the chicken.

But Fourier is the Emperor no matter what clothes he is wearing.

BTY it was quite enlightening to look at the seed being sold to farmers. The GM mods seem to be all about making the seed blight and pesticide resistant. Now that would indicate to me greater use of pesticide.

Lettuce is one of the examples of a food that relies on systemic pesticides. Before they were introduced there were so many insects inside the leaves that you had to peel off and clean each piece. The introduction of the system pesticides allowed Iceberg lettuce to emerge as a very popular salad ingredient. After the novelty wore off others looked to more interesting variants.

Now what is interesting around here was the introduction of Chinese stink bugs. Saw my first one two years ago. Last year dozens made it into my house. This year there are almost none to be seen. Was it the weather, did birds learn to eat them or least like where I live is it modern chemistry?

Last year they damaged 1/2 of the apple crop.

are you sure they weren't laughing at you - instead of with you?

or you think nothing of changing the context to wavefront reproduction to the normal engineering domain of electrical signal reperesentation just to get a laugh

I don't know what you read but the comment was:

"Now we do disagree on the waveform that music presents. I did have a group here laughing when I mentioned to them there are folks arguing that music can be considered periodic and modeled by Fourier series."

Live music is a combined series of wavefronts, only some of which are periodic for a short term. Also note another issue was the use of models of limited accuracy.

I did see some good stuff on the net discussing the limits of Fourier you might want to see what you can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.