John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your explainations are wonderful and so clearly stated. esp. the practical aspects.
Thank you.

I haven't listened to many line array setups, and others have said similar, so I'll take that. The next sentence is the one, except take the word "almost" out: everywhere in the room is sweet.

When I was working out the ITD/IID relationships for localization parametrics, the first choice was the decision of the source wavefront geometry, which in turn defines the falloff rate of the spl.

Point source (1 driver) has the spherical wavefront, with power falling off as 1/R squared. A line array drops off as 1/R, and nearfield planar does not fall off.

The choice alters the head positioning sensitivity to the sweetspot. In all my calculations, I use point source.

jn

Its a sample of a Low EMF (radiated magnetic field) cable sent to us as a sample. Its an interesting patented construction it turns out.

Demian,

When you get a chance, can you do the capacitance?

If it runs 50 pf per foot, it's probably coaxial with PVC or some related plastic.

If it's 65pf per foot, it's most likely three twisted pairs with orthogonal pitch, pvc likely.

If it's 25 pf per foot, it's a foamed coax core, probably a triaxial geometry like what I posted about 5 years ago.

If it's foamed triax, I'm not sure it would pass UL listing as portable cordage.

If it's flat conductor, I'd think about 50 pf/foot.

jn

Thx... I also understand thatEurope does not allow the importation of GMO. Where-as, we eat 80% of our grown food as GMO. GMO is suspected as a cause of illnesses... and vitamin/mineral content is very low now. i use specific suppliments to boost the immune system and by all tests on me, it works super well. Do you take suppliments? -RNM

Hi Richard,
Being a vegetarian for the past 43 years, I took for many years vitamin B12 and Vegetarian Omega 3 food supplements. Since in my country there are almost no GE vegetables and since I eat a lot of vegetables and fruits, I didn't need any other food supplements.
Now I'm 69 years old. On recent years I added multi-vitamins and some other food supplements, mainly for my back aches and some memory deficiency.

In the light of the present situation of GE food in the USA, it seems to me that food supplements are recommended for all people. To my view, organic food is much better, with or without food supplements.

I could afford consuming mainly organic food only on recent years, after my retirement. When I worked, I either ate at restaurants, or catering, so I didn't have the option of choosing organic food.

It is a very sad story in the USA, since many top employees of the FDA are former employees of a well known chemicals corporate which is also known for GE vegetables. They managed to make the FDA declare that GE vegetables are no different from non-GE ones, hence it is forbidden by USA laws to state that certain food is GE. In some states it is forbidden by law to publish any criticism on food suppliers. Perhaps conscientious people in the USA would better raise their voices, for the food situation is really gloom.

Genetically Engineering is in a way playing God role, none knows definitely what it does and what are the effects and consequences on the long run.

Meanwhile, purchasing mainly from farmers markets may be a good choice.

I'm sure that anyone who will watch documentaries about how animals for food are reared in the USA will stop consuming any meat. As for myself, I'm a vegetarian out of compassion to all living things, including animals. Only on recent years I became aware of the great benefit to health it is.

Up to 30% of food labeled "organic" is allowed to be GMO. Only if food labeled as "100% Organic" is it GMO free.
Any check on the internet will tell you we typical Americans consume 80% GMO foods.
But not allowed in Europe and Japan and other countries as unsafe/unhealthy.

Thx, RNM

It is so because of in the USA chemicals and food corporate managed to twist the arms of the FDA and other government bodies.

It will remain this way until enough conscientious people will raise their voice load enough.

Dave, you have me scratching my head. The link is to a white paper on pesticides (specifically a common one, used in backyards across the world, so of interest for hazards research). Pesticides as a group have been of great concern since the 1960s; my stint at bioresearch included testing of some pesticides for endocrine-disrupting potential. an active research area. The paper does not actually deal with hazards from consumption of food produced by "GMO" (defined as "modification of organisms using techniques developed after the childhood of the debaters").

Researches are costly affair and they need sponsors.
Who sponsor most researches on food? How do they control the published results? What are their motivations? What is their influence on government bodies?

SY said:
OK, so your objections are political, not scientific.
I have scientific concerns, and little confidence that the politicians will protect me from bad science if it turns out that I am right. The insistence, in much of the world, that it is illegal to label GM food denies consumers the right to make a choice. It is also an own goal, as it gives the impression that the food industry has something to hide. We almost went down the same path in Europe but consumer pressure stopped it. I know many Americans are puzzled by our views on GM, but we are equally puzzled by their apparently happy acceptance of it. I guess it shows a cultural difference in attitudes to technology and big business.

I have scientific concerns, and little confidence that the politicians will protect me from bad science if it turns out that I am right. The insistence, in much of the world, that it is illegal to label GM food denies consumers the right to make a choice. It is also an own goal, as it gives the impression that the food industry has something to hide. We almost went down the same path in Europe but consumer pressure stopped it. I know many Americans are puzzled by our views on GM, but we are equally puzzled by their apparently happy acceptance of it. I guess it shows a cultural difference in attitudes to technology and big business.

It may show the differences in the power corporate have on the government.
It seems that this power is stronger in the USA.

Hemp has a direct effect on consciousness. I stay away from it for the past 43 years.

I never tried marijuana. But hemp seeds from Whole Foods are tasty and healthy. Never felt any "High" from it. I feel High" when my ideas about improvement of audio equipment lead to real improvements, giving understanding what is needed for better quality of sound.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
When GMO foods are consumed, white blood cell count goes way up.
usually that only happens when a foriegn or unknown substance or something that the body tries to defend itself from.

Just another 'dot' for you to debate. But, there is plenty of info on the internet about GMO for more info.

BTW- Most of the time the GMO food has added something other than plant dna to it to make it pest resistant. And, that is the problem for the body.

Last edited:
When GMO foods are consumed, white blood cell count goes way up.
usually that only happens when a foriegn or unknown substance or something that the body tries to defend itself from.

Just another 'dot' for you to debate. But, there is plenty of info on the internet about GMO for more info.

BTW- Most of the time the GMO food has added something other than plant dna to it to make it pest resistant. And, that is the problem for the body.

I've done a little googling on this, but so far I've not found any substance to this claim. I did find a website where this claim is made, but that site is actually run by a guy who used to be a marketing consultant, his bio has nothing on it indicating that he had an education.

While this topic may be real and important, at this moment it looks to me more like the call phone cancer drivel we've been subjected to over the years.

I'd really like to find some actual peer reviewed studies by actual scientists to perview before I make up my mind on this.

I loved that eggplant/rat toxicity study...but I didn't find anything that said rats are not sensitive to normal eggplant. Was this like a dog and chocolate thingy?

jn

the concern does seem overblown – plants have been waging chemical warfare against animals for as long as both have existed

allergens, blistering agents, neurotoxins, carcinogens are natural plant products

as far as I can tell anyone selling GMO foodstuff is free to label it so

the industry does lobby against passage of laws Requiring such labeling

Status
Not open for further replies.