John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thx... I also understand thatEurope does not allow the importation of GMO. Where-as, we eat 80% of our grown food as GMO. GMO is suspected as a cause of illnesses... and vitamin/mineral content is very low now. i use specific suppliments to boost the immune system and by all tests on me, it works super well. Do you take suppliments? -RNM

I hope when you say "We" you don't include my family and me?

I select my foods from Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, sometimes we buy eggs from home grown chicken. I don't think European "pasture feed" butter and local kefir from whole goat milk are genetically modified. Hemp seed is not. Organic vegetables and whole wheat bread from that stores are not. Uncured pork from that stores is not. We do not use any pasteurized/homogenized milk, refined things like sugar and bread, God forbid from using margarine. I can't understand what 80% do you mean.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I don't know that I would expect him to remember something he wrote many years ago.

The man is an eminent mathematician, certainly so --- I have even read some of his stuff. I wrote to him care of TAS when he made the blunder (which at the time I discussed with Floyd Toole, who generally regarded him as a cogent reviewer, particularly in the company of a lot of the rest of the TAS crowd) and I never got confirmation that he received the message. It was during a time that TAS was on the rocks, financially, so he may never have received the note.

But it is quite reasonable to assume that others with a knowledge of acoustics, and in contact with him more directly, did alert him to the gaffe. And with his quick intellect it may well have been but a brief reflection to correct his misapprehension. I was not at UCLA at that point, so couldn't merely go to his office and engage him.

To place the review, it was at the time RG, in the same piece in TAS, also described a room correction box ---perhaps one of the "best of" series. Name started with an "S" I believe --- it was one of the early ones, with DSPs the best of the day crunching numbers like hell wouldn't have it. Perhaps Demian (good at recalling these things in particular) may remember it.

Brad Wood

Knowing he understood a lot about such things .... I would even say it could have been an editorial error in understanding what he was try to say. I have had huge editorial mistakes myself and stuff cut out etc to fit a page with disasterous results. Esp with J.Valin doing the editing... who seems to know nothing technical. I'll give R.Greene a pass.

-RNM

Last edited:
Guess we see things a bit differently. That's all I've seen is John chasing numbers of one sort or another. A quest for objective perfection.

We do see things rather differently then. I see him citing Stereophile A lists and reviews and sales success more than numbers. Of course, sales and rankings on Stereophile's list are rather numerical so its a matter of degree :p

Contrast JC's approach to say, Doug Self's - now there's a guy who really seems to love his numbers.

To place the review, it was at the time RG, in the same piece in TAS, also described a room correction box ---perhaps one of the "best of" series. Name started with an "S" I believe --- it was one of the early ones, with DSPs the best of the day crunching numbers like hell wouldn't have it. Perhaps Demian (good at recalling these things in particular) may remember it.

SigTech?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes it was the Sigtech and about the same time he did the Quadrature 5 Dsp speaker. I fit a 350 tap FIR filter in a 56009 for impulse correction. Worked well but was easy to mess up the sound with too much correction. Nice review though, it was good product but hard to sell.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I hope when you say "We" you don't include my family and me?

I select my foods from Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, sometimes we buy eggs from home grown chicken. I don't think European "pasture feed" butter and local kefir from whole goat milk are genetically modified. Hemp seed is not. Organic vegetables and whole wheat bread from that stores are not. Uncured pork from that stores is not. We do not use any pasteurized/homogenized milk, refined things like sugar and bread, God forbid from using margarine. I can't understand what 80% do you mean.

Up to 30% of food labeled "organic" is allowed to be GMO. Only if food labeled as "100% Organic" is it GMO free.
Any check on the internet will tell you we typical Americans consume 80% GMO foods.
But not allowed in Europe and Japan and other countries as unsafe/unhealthy.

Thx, RNM

Selective breeding generally involves mixing genes from the same or closely related species. It has been carried out relatively safely for thousands of years.

GM can involves firing in lumps of DNA from quite unrelated organisms and then seeing what happens. My suspicion is that they don't understand genetics and epigenetics anything like as well as they think they do - in fact epigenetics is a relatively new area of study so until recently they didn't even know there was something else they were ignorant of! However, it is nice of the Americans to provide long-term toxicity and gene mutation trials for us.

There are signs that 'Europe' is trying to soften up the European population for another try at making GM publicly acceptable. I hope they fail, for the reasons outlined above.

Even if DNA can be precisely manipulated, there is still the problem of what it actually codes for - which appears to be not as well understood as they think it is. Genetics as a technology may still be at about the state that electronics was in the 1920s - useful but not properly understood. Remember how X-rays and radium were abused at first, before it was realised just how dangerous is ionising radiation.

See this for an account of concerns about the way the EU approves GM-friendly pesticides. The article is written by senior scientists, not anti-science nutters like some anti-GM people.

Dave, you have me scratching my head. The link is to a white paper on pesticides (specifically a common one, used in backyards across the world, so of interest for hazards research). Pesticides as a group have been of great concern since the 1960s; my stint at bioresearch included testing of some pesticides for endocrine-disrupting potential. an active research area. The paper does not actually deal with hazards from consumption of food produced by "GMO" (defined as "modification of organisms using techniques developed after the childhood of the debaters").

Status
Not open for further replies.