JBL M2 for The Poors

Phatness is the word for pathological fatness ?:D

So, too fat and not so specially speedy in the mid-bass ? Or just the too much dB in the low end due to the corner placement (boomy?)

I assume the bafle step is around - 6 dB from 700/800 to the XO (so around 200 Hz?) ?

Do you like this driver ?... really not a cheap one !

So, too fat and not so specially speedy in the mid-bass ? Or just the too much dB in the low end due to the corner placement (boomy?)

I never understood the slow/fast bass debates and find overated the importance of bass alignments to the final bass quality. Room modes and boundary effects are imho the main factors to consider ... unless we listen outdoors ...

Boundary effects on loudspeaker power and frequency response - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum.

Yes i like this driver which sounds without the usual nastinesses of big light paper cones, though as a midranger, i would like to test something bigger ( more directional), like this PHL model:

Page Not Found

Last edited:
I didn't know Zaph measured the JA8008 until know. This curve looks in accordance with the claimed specs. Thank you for posting this.

I still have my doubts on the claimed 95dB system sensitivity of the DTQWT's with the highly overpriced Seas T0035 Troels eventually echanged the TW034 for.
This decision never made any sense to me, at least from an engineering perspective.

Well, the attacks are fast, but the bass itself seem to belong to the rest of the envelopes...

It is a physical fact that there are no instruments that deliver "fast bass". Instruments that are generating low frequencies can't do the lower spectral content with fast attack due to the low frequencies and high Q values involved. So the first content that arrives is always the upper parts of an instrument's spectrum.
Even when the bass is played by one of the world's best bass players like in this example.

Regards

Charles

Now, if you insist in those modern purist audiophile speaker placements far from any boundary ( floor standing on a narrow baffle in the middle of the room...), the bass will obviously be super light, and if you insist on baffle step correction, forget about those 95dbs.

I own these 8' and use them 2 way with corner placement ... and quite some eq to remove excess phatness in low medium and bass...:p

2 way, corner placement... Have you built a pair of Audio Note AN-E clones with the JA-8008's? I wonder which tweeter you used.

Last edited:
2 way, corner placement... Have you built a pair of Audio Note AN-E clones with the JA-8008's? I wonder which tweeter you used.

I heard years ago AN-E, and didn't like their sound. Btw, for people who enjoy those relaxed big BBC dips with a touch of brightness around 5khz, they might be good, but this is definitely not my sound.

No i tried with Beyma TPL150 horn loaded.

I never understood the slow/fast bass debates and find overated the importance of bass alignments to the final bass quality. Room modes and boundary effects are imho the main factors to consider ... unless we listen outdoors ...

Boundary effects on loudspeaker power and frequency response - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum.

Yes i like this driver which sounds without the usual nastinesses of big light paper cones, though as a midranger, i would like to test something bigger ( more directional), like this PHL model:

http://phlaudio.com/no_cache/uk/phl-audio/products/fiche-pdf/index.html?user_productsdb_pi1%5Buid%5D=120

Indeed, at home speakers are standing farer than 1 meter and less than 2 meters of walls. I believe what people call "fast" sound is the opposite of boomy not transcient sound! It's very immportant in the upper bass not so true bellow ! If you have the luck to listen often a true jazz drums, you could return to home at home, crying because the speakers (I do...) :D. I can't agree more when you say the first thing is to work in relation to the room and speaker placements for this goal !

you will need certainly Something above 1 K Hz (and less if you like Something less directional) with this PHL.
A good driver you may consider : EMS speaker EB12 MKII, halas too expensive for me (as I'm sure I have not the talent of the trained designers...). T/S parameter dictates a little the design with this driver, but some uses it as an OB with large baffle due to the low Xmax !

Last edited:
It is a physical fact that there are no instruments that deliver "fast bass". Instruments that are generating low frequencies can't do the lower spectral content with fast attack due to the low frequencies and high Q values involved. So the first content that arrives is always the upper parts of an instrument's spectrum.
Even when the bass is played by one of the world's best bass players like in this example.

Regards

Charles

According to my limited experience : subjectivness fastness, transcient behavior is also very involved by the drivers aboves : mid and tweeter !

Happy guy ! a collector, for sure !

Here, same thing, one version with motor and the good enough one with magnet !

That's what I call fast bass, although more mid-bass (and mid and upper) than bass : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOUM8K0-Wkc : your driver must follow ! I listened this guy 3 times in France.... Ca va vite ! (And when Mc Laughlin is near him, it goes even faster ! )

Last edited:
This reminds me that the guy who made me the demo at the shop where i heard the JBLs insisted so much on loops of "boitaritme+ bassline" that i had to ask: "Any acoustic program?" And no, they had nothing similar at hand, only DJ stuff...:D:down:

Last edited:

This is what I consider fast bass :D
APL_Demo_wesayso.jpg

... and 99% when I go in a speaker shop, the guys putt this song : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM

I have always to buy pills against nervousbreaddown at the chemist's after such listening sessions !

Wesayso : don'tell me that's your array ? Awesome ! All above 100 Hz is at 1.5 ms max ? : should help a lot with drums ! The bass are less easy to read on the graph but seems "un normally fast" :)

Last edited:
Wesayso : don'tell me that's your array ? Awesome ! All above 100 Hz is at 1.5 ms max ? : should help a lot with drums ! The bass are less easy to read on the graph but seems "un normally fast" :)

Yep, that's the arrays, here's the DFR plot (Delay/Frequency Response or group delay) belonging to that graph:
dfr.jpg

So within 1.5 ms I'm actually at 35 Hz...

Last edited: