Is this a real TDA1541A?

On eBay I bought this tda1541a and a tda1541aS1 double crown. What I don't understand is the production code on the first chip. HSH0815, that would be 2008? Is that possible?

What is your opinion on the double crown dac? Is it real?

Attachments

• tda1541a.jpg
    tda1541a.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,007
  • TDA1541A-S1-2CROWN.jpg
    TDA1541A-S1-2CROWN.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 979
What is your opinion on the double crown dac? Is it real?

Yes, as you purchased it from me.

And it is one of the last remaining 15 pieces, I could buy from the NOS stock of Studer Professional Audio, where I am working.

I have still some offers running in a big auction site...

Probably the other chip on your pictures is a fake? 0815? And no S1?

My opinion: speculations about hand applied stamps are a little bit difficult, specially when they are applied over a period of about 15 or more years.

Dont forget: the selection process was done on a evaluation board with some automated measuring methods, but the selection and the stamping was finally done "by hand", piece by piece, batch by batch.

Franz

/Edit

The only method to separate fakes from true chips: measurements. It's like every gem :)

Last edited:
The new chip is a fake.

The font is wrong.

Although at first glance it looks similar, the 'A' is too angular not curved like the genuine Philips article,

Hey, hello?

Please cool down. What facts do you know? You just show, how ridiculous it is, to decide about some stamps appearing.

And please, don't accuse me to offer fakes!

Just buy one and measure it. Then, you can write whatever you want.

Tss tss
Franz

Last edited:
What I do not understand is the whole fake rebrand theme.

Why spend the time to rebrand a non "A" chip to an "A" chip when with the same affort you can rebrand it to an "AS1" single or double crown. Even when I had to rebrand a chip I certainly would have used a valid production stamp.

This HSH0815 chip sounds mighty well for a fake. I even tried not connecting pin 4. It is still working. So it must be an "A" chip. Can't it be that Philips produced a new batch in 2008 and this is a genuine chip?

Did you guy's hear of any fake SAA7220P/B chips? The one I received with this "fake" DAC is produced in 2005. See attachement.

Attachments

• tda1541a.jpg
    tda1541a.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 927
What I do not understand is the whole fake rebrand theme.

Why spend the time to rebrand a non "A" chip to an "A" chip when with the same affort you can rebrand it to an "AS1" single or double crown. Even when I had to rebrand a chip I certainly would have used a valid production stamp.

This HSH0815 chip sounds mighty well for a fake. I even tried not connecting pin 4. It is still working. So it must be an "A" chip. Can't it be that Philips produced a new batch in 2008 and this is a genuine chip?

Did you guy's hear of any fake SAA7220P/B chips? The one I received with this "fake" DAC is produced in 2005. See attachement.

Philips became NXP in 2006 :confused:

As for the 7220, also does not sound right. There are DSG chips from 89, can't imagine the same plant making them in 2005. Maybe it's an A or C version they rebadged. You could verify this i think by looking at the datasheets and then measure. Different powerconsumption, filter characteristics etc between them.

Last edited: