Is this a real TDA1541A?

look at paul_peraic / post#152[/B] ...
That one looks so much different that my first assumption was that is a good one:D

I test the two S1 in the middle of the pic:
1. Separat pin 2 from 4, it still plays musik
2. Separat pin 16 and 17 from extern dem-cap, small distortions in the heights begin

So they must be minimum a TDA1541 with A. They never soldered and the housing show no marks or scratches. It seems that they are new old stock.

Attachments

• tdafake.jpg
    tdafake.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 786
That one looks so much different that my first assumption was that is a good one:D

I test the two S1 in the middle of the pic:
1. Separat pin 2 from 4, it still plays musik
2. Separat pin 16 and 17 from extern dem-cap, small distortions in the heights begin

So they must be minimum a TDA1541 with A. They never soldered and the housing show no marks or scratches. It seems that they are new old stock.

Don't like the S1 and crown. The markings don't look genuine... Got some S1's from HSH 8905 and markings are stamped on and have different shapes.

Last edited:
"Fake" ... came from a well-known scammer, 'Tzeng-Albert".

Where did yours come from ?

I get answer about the source of the faked chip in the left oy my attached pic. It comes from ebay seller tzeng_albert in Hong Kong. After lodge a complaint he pays back the 10 €.

But who would pay the defective CDP if this chip would have been inserted? tzeng_albert knows that his chip is a fake minimum since October 2009.

Yeah I know where you are coming from but he came across a quite legit it was a while ago so I do not remember where I found them from memory it was a reasonably large parts stockist but as with most internet sales and transactions there is a large risk factor .

I do not understand why he would show me such a weird manufacturing date why not just go with the mainstream photos that is why I showed any interest as it could be some strange mythical chip as most TDA1541A's are :D

HSH0612 is certainly a variation on the HSH0123 fakes.

Speculation on the HSH98 is that the wafers were made in a fab in Taiwan (using a more advanced process than the earlier european chips) and they were then packaged back in Holland. Philips had certainly ceased production in europe by that point.

I have personal experience of a mainstream and genuine parts stockist who I have dealt with before who had obtained a supply of S1s. They had been able to source a couple of hundred of them from another large supplier in europe. The photos I got them to send me all looked genuine and I got them to send me one as a sample on sale or return. It was a fake, although a very authentic looking one I have to say. It later transpired that the source in europe were already aware that the chips were fakes which originated in the far east and yet tried to pass them on regardless. Fortunately it didn't cost me anything (apart from a couple of resistors in the power supply of my CD player which I needed to replace afterwards).

There are legitimate companies out there who unwittingly sell fakes ICs and then there are the opposite.

A fake chip that smokes your powersupply is easy to spot, much more difficult to tell apart would be a genuine A that has been relabelled as S1 or S2. I've tried to authenticate an S1 in the past by measuring the THD but I failed to create a test setup that was good enough to reach the datasheet levels and ultimately couldn't say with confidence whether or not it was actually a genuine S1 or not. It sounded different to an HSH98 A but I wouldn't say it sounded better or worse.

My personal view is that by the time they moved manufacture to Taiwan the process variation and wafer yield had reached a point where there was no need to select on test any longer but then I've never had the chance to compare an 88AS2 with a 98A to verify that hypothesis. I certainly wouldn't pay £200 or even $200 for an S2 like some people seem to be prepared to do even if it proved to be genuine.