Installing and using LTspice IV (now including LTXVII), From beginner to advanced

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
My reason for posting now, however, is that I've been looking for a way to measure distortion differentially.

If you have nodes V(+) and V(-), you can plot them differentially by writing V(+,-). However you cannot do an FFT on V(+,-) - instead you must do an FFT on both nodes and then in the FFT window add V(+,-). Inconvenient, but it works.

You can also use the differential notation with the .four statement and almost anywhere else.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
err, could we keep this thread on topic? - how to use LTspice

nothing wrong with illustrative sims along the way

but can we agree to please start new threads for debugging/discussing amps

:) I'm as guilty as anyone after looking back at the last couple of dozen posts.

If Sk8Ter has no objections then these later posts can be split off to a new thread.

:) I'm as guilty as anyone after looking back at the last couple of dozen posts.

If Sk8Ter has no objections then these later posts can be split off to a new thread.

No...absolutely I do not mind please put link in this thread

Can you make the new thread called ( amplifiers for the musical truth ) something like that

I would like very much to continue the conversation

Lawrence

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi all ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlevoice View Post
My reason for posting now, however, is that I've been looking for a way to measure distortion differentially. Might one of you know if this has been discussed in the thread - and if so then where?
Hi Jesper,

Does post #549 and the reply by jcx give you any clues.

Yes, it does indeed. Just tried the suggestions by jcx and it works fine so I will leave it there (but thanks also to keantoken for your suggestions).

Cheers,

Jesper

Last edited:
when using the ".four" LTSpice directive, how can I have it calculate the FFT across an expression? I've tried ".four 1khz 0 10 V(out+)-V(out-)" but it just adds V(out+) to the error log. I've tried to add quotes, that doesn't help, either. It works if I go to the graph and edit the expression, but I'd like the data go to textual output via the error log.

this syntax will do it

take a look at the example...it gives the fourier results for the voltage across R1.

Attachments

• fourier.PNG
    fourier.PNG
    8.8 KB · Views: 241
Hi all here.

I've some questions on LTSpice. As you can see in my threads, i use it not too extensively, but it is the clearest way to show how a circuit works. But sometimes I obtain strange results from it.

As an example, when trying a full wave rectifier with input choke filter, as in the image below, and placing the prove at both sides of the inductor, I have:
attachment.php

Note 0V DC ‼

Why?

Suggestions will be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• diodes.GIF
    diodes.GIF
    42.3 KB · Views: 586
Inductors without DC resistance don't have DC V across them

to get the difference you left click the node, hold the left button down and move the probe to other node you want to difference

the waveform label should look like V(n001,n002)

you can add series R to a Spice Inductor - either a added R or invisibly to the schematic in the L model dialog box by right clicking the L body

you can probe the current directly too if that's what you really want to see

Last edited:
Inductors without DC resistance don't have DC V across them

Thanks, but it is obvious, is a simple piece of wire. When I put the prove, i'm measuring between any of the filter inductor and ground. The circuit has a rectified senoidal wave, but appears to not have DC at the output. In both of them I must have the same DC voltage.

The filter inductor has a non visible 700DCR, and I tryied both tube and SS rectifiers in the simulation. The same strange end.

THanks for your inputs.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I've a hunch what Osvaldo is getting at here...

Because the only voltage source in the simulation is an AC one (and also because this design is transformer coupled) the only 'simulation type' that will run is the 'Transient' one. So you are viewing all the points in the circuit as if you were using a scope probe.

The DC voltage is shown as zero at all points because the circuit can not run the 'DC op Point' solution because there is no DC voltage source present.

Does that make sense :)

When you run a 'Transient' simulation, the program automatically does a DC operating point solution as well. The result of that is always going to be zero on circuits like this because there is NO dc source present.

You can disable it attempting to do this by ticking this box.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 224
OK, excellent guy. Many thanks ;-D

I must to recognize that I don't like "software solutions" as much as real circuits, with real oscilloscopes and feeling the heaters warm. But, as you know, it is a good tool to demonstrate (or better, to show) how a piece of circuit works, as I did in many of my threads.

Many thanks again.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
.lib files on Mac version

This is my first day trying LTspice on the mac. I don't know anything at all but have some .asc files to run that came with .lib files. Going to the ltspice package files I found a file titled lib but no .lib files inside. Where do I put them?

PS. Looking at the LTspice tutprials I didn't find anything specifically for the mac,. I did look!

Thanks very much