Installing and using LTspice IV (now including LTXVII), From beginner to advanced

Does anyone know where to get zmodels.lib, containing all Zetex BJT models? It can't be downloaded from the Diodes website and it appears current versions of the file may have had obsolete BJTs removed.

Also Phillips/NXP had a BJT model library, and IIRC they also removed current BJTs. Does anyone have the original libraries with all the models present?

Also aren't there similar libraries for NEC, Tochiba etc?

Thanks.

I was actually able to find all those on datasheetarchive.com, even some gems. Summary of what I found:

vendor - Datasheet Archive list of existing libraries
motor_rf - Datasheet Archive Motorola RF transistors
on_bjt - Datasheet Archive OnSemi library - pretty bad
infineon_s_afbjt - Datasheet Archive Infineon BJTs - not bad but not very good either
phil_bjt - Datasheet Archive Phillips BJT models - mostly okay
phil_bjt - Datasheet Archive More Phillips models
diode3 - Datasheet Archive Mainly obsolete diodes
zetexrf - Datasheet Archive (copy of zetex.lib with a few differences)
zetex - Datasheet Archive 1992 Zetex library - has unbelievable parameters on many models.
zmodels - Datasheet Archive 1995 Zetex library
zmodels - Datasheet Archive 1997 Zetex library
zmodels - Datasheet Archive 1997 Alternate Zetex library (?)
zmodels - Datasheet Archive 2003 Quasi-saturation models!!! Still has some unbelievable parameters though.
zetex - Datasheet Archive 2003? good ZVNxxxx MOSFETs
japan - Datasheet Archive Lots of trash - maybe the Jfet models are okay, maybe a few good BJT models
mcebjt - Datasheet Archive MicroCode Engineering 1997 - missing Itf, Vtf, Xtf
bjtn - Datasheet Archive 1997 Intusoft NPNs - Many Japanese transistors including Sanyo, but missing Itf, Vtf, Xtf
bjtp - Datasheet Archive 1997 Intusoft PNPs - missing Itf, Vtf, Xtf. Maybe good to base new models on.
bipolar - Datasheet Archive 1995 MicroSim - Rb=10 and don't ask questions
bipolar - Datasheet Archive 1998 OrCad - Seems to be a copy of the MicroSim library
bipolar - Datasheet Archive 2002 Cadence - Another clone of the MicroSim library

jfet - Datasheet Archive 1997 Intusoft Jfets, including Japanese types
jjfet - Datasheet Archive 2001 Cadence Japanese Jfets

Unfortunately most of these models are useless because those transistors are out of production. Assuming they weren't useless from the beginning because they're terrible models. It's still quite a gamble.

I've never seen a library for speakers or microphones. I think people just make their own models when they need one. A lot of people make their own models without making them public. Just a speaker's impedance can be hard to model realistically, let alone what happens to it when the diaphragm is in motion.

There is a very real limitation of simulation, which occurs when it would be easier to construct a prototype with alligator clips than to attempt to simulate it. You may very well spend a day or two just figuring out how to construct the model, although it gets significantly faster the more you do it.

I'm attempting my first sim of a tube output stage (for learning purposes, not a real design) and although it's working, the output seems wrong.
It's a simple 6L6 PP stage where I bias it per the GE data sheet. The model is Ayumi. I can only get up to about 27W ouput before clipping (at 7%THD), which is wrong both from the GE datasheet and practical experience. Any more input and it clips.
Any help pointing out my error(s) would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 290
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 283
@euro21, thanks but I believe you didn't understand the question. I didn't ask for an opinion on design. I am asking for help making the sim work correctly. The object is to play with the sim and gain knowledge and experience with spice.

OPT includes resistances of 100ohm primary P-P and 0.3ohm secondary. Not trying to sim any specific OPT, just picked some reasonable numbers to make the sim work.

I'm attempting my first sim of a tube output stage (for learning purposes, not a real design) and although it's working, the output seems wrong.
It's a simple 6L6 PP stage where I bias it per the GE data sheet. The model is Ayumi. I can only get up to about 27W ouput before clipping (at 7%THD), which is wrong both from the GE datasheet and practical experience. Any more input and it clips.
Any help pointing out my error(s) would be appreciated.
I think your calculations for your OPT may be a little off. :dunno:
I copied and pasted some values for a Dynaco A470 OPT that swiped from a spreadsheet from a fellow member here, Robert McLean. I got over over 50 watts at 1.5% THD. Heres's a couple of pretty screenies to look at. :D

Try this (zipped file in the attachment below) in LTspice.

Attachments

• 6l6-pp-out-test.png
    6l6-pp-out-test.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 304
  • 6l6-pp-out-test-tran.png
    6l6-pp-out-test-tran.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 294
  • 6l6-pp-out-test.zip
    3 KB · Views: 61
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi all (& not least Mooly),

I just briefly read through parts of the thread and it looks very interesting indeed - I hope I'll have time to read through more of it with a purpose to learn LTSpice in more depth. Thanks for making this information available Mooly (& others) ;-)

My reason for posting now, however, is that I've been looking for a way to measure distortion differentially. Might one of you know if this has been discussed in the thread - and if so then where?

Thanks for any help - cheers,

Jesper