Installing and using LTspice IV (now including LTXVII), From beginner to advanced

sent.. ;)

Attachments

• LTspice bug.jpg
    LTspice bug.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
Two emails (with attachments) on, Mike doesn't believe me either and still thinks "the software performs ok" while it obviously does not...

So, if anyone still wants to use older schematics : the new software is NOT compatible on the area of parameter transfer! I won't use the new software if this isn't fixed!

Last edited:
Just trying out the native mac LTspice IV version (I had always either used a VM or Wine and the PC version) and am curious about a difference in behaviour that I have perhaps just overlooked.

After running a simulation the PC version will allow you to 'probe' various currents and voltages without having to plot them. The Mac version seems to only let you plot the waveform, not just probing the DC steady state values by hovering the probe over the schematic. Is there a way to 'see' a voltage or current without actually plotting it, but rather to simply probe it like the PC version?

Is there a way to 'see' a voltage or current without actually plotting it, but rather to simply probe it like the PC version?

There are many (setting) options in LTspice regarding how to save time in doing the simulation. This can be confusing (as each computer/LTspice can be set differently, either using GUI or using code syntax), but there is no way the software will know the operating points in the schematic if we don't give the software time to do the calculation.

So I think at least a DC simulation can be done by putting ".OP" on the circuit and run any simulation types (no need to run ".FOUR" or ".TRAN" which both require longer time).

I have installed LT4 in a temporary laptop since few months ago and I found many strange behaviors. I think I have seen similar issue like in the LT7 in this thread. The biggest issue I have is when I right click on the label or similar text on the circuit, I just cannot edit it. This is very annoying :(, but I'm in a temporary laptop so I don't want to waste more time solving the problem.

Jay, I'm talking about probing the schematic *after* the simulation has been run and performed the operating point analysis. I'm reasonably comfortable with the PC version and while not a guru on it I'm not nubile either. My query is with respect to the different GUI and apparent behavior wit respect to the Mac version.

After the simulation has been run, I can hover over traces and pins to see the voltage and currents in the lower left, just like version 4. Also, you can Rclick on empty space in the schematic, go to draft->.op to place a voltage or current readout on the schematic for that trace. You can edit the readout afterwards and have it display something else or a calculation.

I remember seeing the Mac version had smooth anti-aliased lines, which makes me jealous. Oh so jealous...

In my experience, it is always easier/better to use self-contained folders to hold the .lib, .asy files instead of putting them in the LTSpice directories unless you know what you are doing, this is especially true for the Mac version.

I've always stored my custom subcircuits/libraries in a "User" folder nested under the LTspice "lib\sub" folder, and have done the same with custom symbols, storing them in a "User" folder under "lib\sym." When creating a schematic and adding a component with the F2 key, custom symbols show up in a new category named "User." Custom subcircuits and libraries are called from the schematic by prefacing them with 'User\' to tell LTspice where to find them (like "User\name.lib"). I tested this in LTspice XVII and it works with this new version as well.

This, to me, has been the easiest way to keep track of my personal library of symbols and models and avoids the danger of them being overwritten when LTspice is updated or reinstalled.

EDIT: I added the "User" folders under the Windows 10 "Documents" folder, not under "Program Files." It appears that LTspice XVII installs its built-in subcircuits and symbols in both places. But the ordinary user has write privileges to the Documents folder so that seems like the safer of the two locations to store my own files.

I haven't used the Mac version so I can't say whether this approach works or not on that platform.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Currently experiencing some weirdness in LT XVII

When you try and move a component around I'm finding it drags the whole diagram around the workspace. Even the built in examples are doing this.

A .asc file created in LT XVII seems to be behave correctly, its those carried over from LT IV that have the issue.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hope the experts can help me here :)

My LTspice is working ok. However, when I do an AC analysis, the data is not plotted as a graph, instead I get a print out of the raw data. I've gone into the Setup and clicked 'default' settings on everything and also rebooted my machine. No luck.

Any idea what it could be?

Thanks

If one of the AC analysis variables is a stepped parameter, that may trigger LTspice to do something weird. I had a .noise analysis where the end frequency was stepped, and I had to set the step command so that the first step was not equal to the start frequency.

BTW, LTspice was updated yesterday, so you might just try that.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Noticed an obvious flaw... Parameters defined for the transient analysis in a current schematic appear not to be correctly read into the new version and are displayed in the AC department.. also other settings (octave, decade... etc.)for the AC transfer function are lost. One has to re-enter them to be able to run the analysis...

Verdict... some nasty details have to be fixed...

That happens to me too, are you on Linux? I reported it to Mike and he said it was a WINE problem. I seem to remember I had that problem with LTspice IV once and it went away after a while, maybe I fiddled with WINE settings.

Go to Help->About and report the issue to the email address there. Then maybe he will believe me.

I've mentioned this problem to Mike sometime toward the end of August and also that the changelog file is not updating.

I don't get it tbh. Mike sent quite a detailed reply saying that the behaviour is 'by design' and that once you understand how LT XVII works it will makes things easier.

For example if you right click an op command there is a 'help me edit' tab. Its not intuitive and it seems a bit convoluted and difficult to understand at the moment.

Edit... changlelog file will become operational when LT IV drops out of support at the end of the year.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    26.3 KB · Views: 266
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Well its certainly different and its going to take a lot of getting used to. On the other hand, if LT IV is becoming an unsupported legacy system then I feel its probably worth the effort to try and get to grips with it.

It is difficult though !

I've run into problems creating a sub circuit to appear in the 'Auto Generated' models field. What worked in LT IV isn't doing in LT XVII

Two other things I've noticed.

1/ When I installed XVII I can not remember now what the installer offered in the way of 32 or 64 bit versions. Was there a 32+64 option ? I ask because in the program files I have both applications installed (and both work). However BOTH these are in the x64 program files. There is nothing LT related in the x86 program files.

2/ I do have an old laptop running the 32 bit version of W10 and so I installed the 32 bit version of LT on this one. Although it was OK at first, I'm finding now that the 32 bit version throws up an error message when updating LT. Something about permissions (I'll have to take another screen shot) but if you just carry on and click either retry or cancel then it says the LT spice executable was updated OK. And so it seems. Mentioned that to Mike but had no response.

Attachments

• LT.PNG
    LT.PNG
    77.5 KB · Views: 269
Help adding a component

I am new to ltspice, have just downloaded and started playing with it today.

I am starting by taking an existing file (.asc file) loaded from one of the diyaudio forums. The first task is to replace the existing 2SK170 jfet with a 2N5457 jfet. Problem is, I can't seem to add the 2N5457 model to the package.

I started by changing the component label to 2N5457. Then I added a spice directive to the schematic, adding:

".model 2N5457 NJF (... mfg=ACME)"

Next I right-clicked on the symbol, selected "Pick new JFET..." but the 2N5457 model does not show in the list. With mfg name of ACME, it should be at (or near) the top. But no.

So I dug around on the net and discovered there exists a component lib standard.jft. I edited that file and added the component there, adding all data to a single line. Then back to the schematic, right click, pick new jfet, but 2N5457 (made by ACME) is still not in the list.

I am running LTSpice as admin, have changed the shortcut props to "run as admin". I do see "allow this program to run as admin" when I run, so I think that is OK.

So I am stumped. How can I add this component to the package, so that it can be used in this particular schematic, but also so it can be reused in the future? It has to be pilot error, something I'm doing wrong, and I know google has the answer but I can't seem to find the right question.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I find adding models very difficult sometimes and there are different ways to achieve the same thing.

I take it you have installed LT IV and not the new XVII version (which is different in a lot of ways).

Post your model file and I'll see what I come up with (but no promises).