Indian equivalents of the following DIY items.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re Mahendra Palesha

Navin

Mahendra is not coming to Bombay, but his brother will be there, he thinks it is stall No 131, is on ground floor. They also have a demo room and a demo car. He is not sure what name the exhibitors have put on the board, could be Palesha or Somooku. He has just returned from abroad, and is travelling to China next week, suggests that you contact him directly.

He is keen to know more about Indian DIYers, since we have been such a small community for many years!

George
PS Look forward to your feedback after you visit!

Navin could you give me more information on the OGL (Open general Licence).

>>The customs have improved of late. the duties i think are 50% duty, 28% CVD, 4% Octroi (bombay only). duty is on CIF value. CVD is on value incl. duty. octroi is on CIF+duty+CVD. enjoy. duty on parts is 30%. it pays to hire a GOOD, HONEST clearing agent.

In simple terms, I buy parts worth a $1500, then will I be paying a $750 as customs duty?

Also, after reading a lot about Focal and ScanSpeak range of speakers I tried to contact them but in vain. Like you said, I should have sent a mail telling "Hi! I am Doug from Canada...........:)."

These were the addresses I got after some searching.

****************************************************(Focal)
INDIA

Sound of Music

PRODUCTS : JMlab

N-61 , G.K.-I ,
NEW DELHI - 110048

TEL : (62) 55515558 - 61 , (62) 51630897
FAX : (62) 26480921 , 00-1-775-3830047
E-mail : soundofmusic@swissmail.org

****************************************************(Scan Speak)
Nova Audio Pvt.Ltd.
8, Punam Co-op Society
29/30 Rd.No. 5
Union Park
Mumbai - 400 052
India
Tel: (91) 22 600 2012
Fax: (91) 22 496 3465
E-mail: novaudio@vsnl.com

Sai

Nova Audio is run by a guy called Sushil Anand-I'm sure Navin will know him.

The Focals ( and JM Labs) and Scanspeaks are among the very best drivers around, like buying a Mercedes or a BMW-something that rich kids buy easily but we ordinary guys have to save up for many years to even dream of buying here!

I have Scanspeaks and Focal drivers bought from the US( the best place to buy drivers and audio stuff, in my view) and you need to decide for yourself if this is what you can afford at this time- an SS 8545 mid may cost the equivalent of about Rs 7000 in the US, and a tweeter about Rs 3500. If you take Indian landed costs it may be marked up about 50% or more because of duties. You may want to look at Vifas at this time and graduate to SS drivers later.

George

sushil (nova) does nto do any SS or Vifa anymore, CMM were listed as importers of Focal and Morel but i dont they did anything either.

OGL is a long story lets take this offline.

the 8546 costs $130 in the US. add the same for duty, CVD, etc... and u have a $250 driver. Yes that is Rs. 10,000 for just 1 8546.

Met Mp at the sow. seems a nice fellow. hope to expriment with his 8" and 10" and also his car coax in Jan-Feb.

His room however was making the worst sound of the show. It was all boom. Nice sounds were at manger (khusroo) and Maggie (burge and Munir). B&W and magneplanar were disapointing. I have heard B&W too be too forward before but I have hear better from magnepalnar.

more later.

For those going there sunday,

sushil (nova) can be found at the Hitachi room displayng marantz and monitor equipment.

Do listen to Quad (thery were not set up when i got there). Tannoy too were in teh middle of a sales pitch when i got there. Bose had a line.

after all the boom and tizz drop in on khushroo at manger and listen to Handel's Messiah or some Mozart. tell K i sent u. he might even stop talking to listen. :) ha ha ha.

The manger 2 way (using a 8" SS) is quite nice. K claims he uses a large series nothc at 88Hz and a 350Hz 1st order for the manger. on rock it is a little lacking in the bass. K is going to demo me the system amted to a dipole 12" in the near future. that should be fun.

Navin can you please help me out

I really need some help and advice.

I checked out the Adire Audio site and contacted Zeppelin Audio of Singapore.

He is ready to send me the SHIVA MKIII and an AVA250 plate amp with the transport charges free.

Should I go in for it. What about quality checks. I am a bit on the confused side because this will be the first time I will be spending a lot of money and will not get to see the product before buying.

Any help.

He has not yet told me the mode of transport, but has told me that it will take somewhere between 4 - 8 months.

Helppppppppppppppppppp:confused:

the long and short of it.

i have imported drivers a few times. make sure you ask for export packing it usually means they have 2 of those cardboard like boxes one inside the other. make sure they mark the shipment FRAGILE on all six sides.

also i would ask for air shipment. sea shipment makes the drivers exposed for too long and the sea freight faclilties atleast in Bombay leave a lto to be desired.

4-8 months! ouch. what is the mode of transport. donkey back. It shoudlbe in weeks. 4 weeks is more the norm.

as far as Qualtiy checks are concerned I have not imported fro Adire but i have from Audio Concepts. they were fine.

I imported 2 shipments from Audio C the 1st one was for 4 12" and I was very clear with shipping instructions. later i imported 2 more DV12s and one arrived damaged (the magnet had shifted). I was not so clear the second time tinking they would already know what precautions to take. that is the risk you take.

Be very very clear and tell them that Indian handlers are manual not automatic and that they should put large labels such as DO NOT DROP etc. As a last resort all you can do is insure teh consignment but I am not sure if that can help.

The reason I was looking for bulk purchase is that with a large consignemtn the handlers are less likely to drop and damage it.

also i see the shiva has stacked magnets. boy this is a tough driver to repair if it does get damaged. not to be discouraging the SV12 and DV12 (predesssor) also had stacked magnets and i got 5 out of 6 in ok condition.

I suggest that you get a copy of the latest Customs rule book relating to Baggage-it's available at any decent bookshop. You need to know the rate of import duty applicable on such shipments and add it to the cost and freight. I imported a passive radiator some years ago via sea mail from Lambda Acoustics in the US it took about 4 months, reached without a scratch(double boxed)

Surface mail from Florida to the nearest port, by USPS, then by ship to either Bombay or Madras and then surface to Bangalore..I thoght four months was fast! I also got my Welborne Labs chassis that way. This works ok if the value of the shipment is low( and it wont hurt too much if damaged), not otherwise!

MDF has two varieties available in the market. Exterior grade is better than interior grade but more expensive. As navin rightly suggested u can use marine ply of high quality then u can get better performance than MDF for subwoofer, But it is extremely expensive. Now it is ur choice of quality to cost, because quality is never available cheap.

palesha said:
MDF has two varieties available in the market...As navin rightly suggested u can use marine ply of high quality...it is extremely expensive.

time is just as expensive. also ply bends more easily than MDF. I also find ply easier to work with esp since i use power tools. MDF has dust flying everywhere even marine grade MDF. I tried using HDF too.

today I am firming in my belief that a 18mm skin that is well barcd and damped can provide a decent cabinet. on the other hand I prefer no cabinet at all hence i am trying to design a WAF friendly dipole sub using 2 x 12" (DV12) per channel.

in fact after rading SL's website I am also considering a 2 way sub where a corner loaded sub operates below 40Hz avoiding room nodes.

subwoofer driver

Sai

Check stryke audio, they have a preorder special on 12 and 15 inch sub drivers made by TC Sounds, one of the most respected mfrs of sub drivers.

I am ready to set up a listening session next weekend-Dec 6/7 at my place. Ajju what do you say? Anyone else from Bangalore?After I hear from you guys I will give some ideas...

George

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.