[INDIA] Chassis, knobs, PCB makers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
navin said:
give me ref. of the order with harry so he knows what i am talking about. email or sms will do.
Have just sent you full details by email, giving the name of the US party, the requirement, and how long he's been waiting for Uncle Harry to respond. Have also mentioned all the arrangements I've tried to make to facilitate Harry's transaction and make it painless and safe for him. See what you can do, please?

As per your schedule, you're at Kandivali today, right?

An alternate box maker... too expensive

I sent a friend to check out another maker of boxes, chassis, control panels, etc. This company is in the Navi Mumbai area, and has a large workshop with big machines for all sorts of cutting, bending, etc. They have equipment to make accurate cutouts, hence accuracy will not be an issue with them. (Well, it's not an issue with Dinrack either.) And they are willing to make boxes out of mild steel, soft steel, or Al. They know all about powder coating, so that won't be a problem. But they don't know what a brushed finish is.

And they are too expensive. The man in charge said that if we order 50 boxes (2U, approx rack mount sizes), the price would be a little over Rs.1000 each. If we order just one or two, the price will be more than Rs.2000. In addition, he'll charge extra for the cutouts.

I'd been sent in that direction because a friend wants me to build an amp for him, and wants to help me cut down the costs that he'll pay for it. He found out this workshop and asked me to take a look. From the report I got from my diy friends who visited this place, I think Dinrack is still our best bet, specially for small quantities. Dinrack charges less than Rs.2000 for such a box, with full finishing, and doesn't even seem to charge extra for cutouts.

Just thought I'd post this here, to let you know that the theory of "abandon rack-mount kits, go for sheet-metal-bending boxes, they're CHEAP!" didn't work out, at least in this case. Any other case studies from any of you will be very useful.

ajju said:
Very impressive. It's nice to see the first retailer I know of in India who explicitly targets high-end diy audio, and it's even more impressive to see that they have a Website with prices. I think they are the only ones who fit this bill.

BTW, they have very interesting MOX power resistors, which I think are supposed to be better for all power amp emitter resistor type applications. And with a 7W rating, they can be used in practically any amp. The price is right too. We only need to persuade them to keep values lower than 1Ohm. How about telling them that they should keep 0.22Oh, 0.33 Ohm, and 0.47Ohm, and if they have some spare capacity, 0.1Ohm? That will take care of all power amp builders' requirements.

Incidentally, their price of Rs.16/ea is equal to what RS India charges for 3W MOX resistors. The Corrson price is certainly good. Parts Express sells non-inductive nichrome 10W resistors for about a dollar each. If Corrson had 0.33Ohms, I'd pick up ten to twenty today.

Can some of our B'lore friends try to persuade him to get the low value ones?

The other items, e.g. MKP caps, are good too. I can stop looking around in L.Road for these caps from now on. And maybe I'll try out the less expensive Vifa tweeter instead of the Peerless which was the only option till now. How has your experiences been dealing with him? Did you get a prompt replacement for some stuff that you'd got which were not okay? Is it okay to deal with this chap?

Rahul said:
I am interested in a pair of Vifa tweeters. Can you suggest how should I go about getting them
Pal, I've no clue! :) Why don't we both look towards our B'lore friends for advice? I too want a pair of the less expensive Vifa tweeters. Ajju/Vivek/Sunil/George, how has your experience been, dealing with Corrson? I remember at one point you guys were a bit on edge because of some new-stock/old-stock confusion about some drivers you'd bought from him...

Vivek said:
But we got what looked like tweeters which were screwed on to a cabinet before. We pointed it out to him and he replaced it for both of us.
Give me a subjective assessment of your experience... would you do business with him again? Do you feel you can trust him and that the previous error was inadvertent?

I too want a pair of that D27 tweeter, incidentally. It should work well, crossed over at 2.5KHz with a 4th order slope.

Boltons have arrived!

The Bolton 16SJW22 drivers I'd ordered from Bolton's factory have arrived. They had packed the sixteen drivers in individual cardboard cartons, and had put the cartons in a wooden packing case lined with sheets of paper. Then they had filled the box from all sides with paper strips (the kind that comes out of paper shredders), and nailed the box shut, finally locking it down with metal straps. The speakers seem to be in absolutely undamaged condition... I checked one or two of them.

It's been a long process, and Angshu's help has been very crucial, but the process worked. Bolton did not tell us anything about any minimum order quantity, so perhaps they can sell you two or three pairs if you want. They send the goods by road transport, and the item reaches the transporter's godown in your town, where it waits for you. Bolton independently sends you a note by registered post (this was the part that took time because they'd written the address wrongly, hence it had to be re-sent by them). This note will have to be carried by you to the transporter's godown and the box will have to be picked up. The transporter will tell you how much the transport charge is, and you'll have to pay at the time of collecting the box. For my sixteen drivers, the official weight of the crate was 40Kg (I think the real weight was more like 25-30Kg), and they charged me Rs.160 for the freight from Faridabad to Bombay.

Wish me luck with my five-driver two-way speakers. I need it. :) Angshu of course has assured me that the way I intend to build the speakers, they'll sound better than my British name-brand floorstanders (which I bought for Rs.45K/pair three years ago, incidentally). :D

Vivek said:
Yes, Ajju and I bought a pair of D27TG-05-06 from him. But we got what looked like tweeters which were screwed on to a cabinet before. We pointed it out to him and he replaced it for both of us.
Vivek.

Hi Vivek/Ajju,
sorry for going OT, but could either of you give me brief directions to get to Corrson's office? On my trusty eicher map, Banashankari 3rd stage looks like an undeveloped rural area! 2-D main road (as mentioned on Corrson's website) isn't shown on the map :(.

- Ashwin

Mark

I have six plus two black knobs with plastic washers. I am in Philly and travel a bit in the next few days-DC and then St Louis, I will ship these after I reach Nashville on Thursday as of now and will email you once they are sent.

AAMOF the local guys in Bangalore got less than half their requirements to ensure that these reach you..I'm sure that can be addressed in the future!

These are really well done, though.

George

I recently got a letter from vifa thailand. they tell to contact corrson for my needs.

if some of u remember we had a discussion on trying to do a group import.

Are there any vifa drivers out there anyone is interested in? if so if we can get 20-30 of the same qty this group import via corrson might still be possible.

meanwhile, ashok S, I went to the Toyota showroom today. Toyota say that the systems they provide cannot be changed or even modified.

At first I wanted them to confirm they would install my own tap/cd front end. Their answer was No way. So I asked them if their 6 Cd system has pre out. their answer. Huh? After a bit mor digging i come to know that not only does their "TOP OF THE LINE" system NOT have pre outs but if one was to tamper with the wires (speaker level outs are available) and provide one it voids the car's guarantee! AARGH!!!!

Skoda meanwhile claims that their 2005 model Octavia has 66mm more rear leg room. Present planed release date is June 2005. Skoda is more flexible as far as audio is concerned but we'll have to wait till june 2005 to have a car that can offer enough leg room.

Dear Navin,
Hi!
I have installed good system in few om these cars. I have found Skoda to be the best for the purpose. Some real neat layout can be done here. Next is the Honda , unfortunately I was dissapointed with Honda speakers , very low end job small magnet, and plastic frame ultimately I had to replace all of them in I Vtec.
As far as wiring is concerned you may not need to cut the harness as most of the players have a somewhat common socket for power etc and a short cable terminating into connector suitable for your car, this cable only needs to be changed. Adding other PAmps and subs is another thing.
All systems in even top of the line cars no high end or capable of coming anywhere near to basic audiophile needs.

Regards

Rahul

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
George, I am looking forward to at least seeing the knobs.
I will retain one to show online with my Par-Metal box when it arrives. I will forward one to Peter Daniels for his inspection, along with the black knobs. The rest go to Mr. UVODEE because he had the faith to order some of them from the beginning.

The saddest story is Tarun, who AFAIK has NO knobs.
What a terrible irony!!
:bawling: :bawling:

Navin: If you work next door to Uncle Harry, couldn't you just have him give you a call when he is setting up for interesting knobs, you pop over, with your trusty digicam, post the images online for overnight approval? Then add a few to his production run after you see who is interested? This might take care of the needs of the group amp makers..

Sorry if this is too obvious, or you need to work instead of
chasing knobss :D

MArk

ashwin said:

sorry for going OT, but could either of you give me brief directions to get to Corrson's office? On my trusty eicher map, Banashankari 3rd stage looks like an undeveloped rural area! 2-D main road (as mentioned on Corrson's website) isn't shown on the map :(.

Ohh..Its no more a rural area...but now its more like the super special stage of a WRC rally..And better borrow/steal a monster truck from some one before u get going...added to ur driving skills u also need a bit of show jumping wall climbing and mud plugging experiences...The damn place is all dug up and heavy construction work is in progress....
they say its supposed to be for flyovers...:)

Btw I'm attaching a map that might guide u to corrsons office. This is where all the action is now...Unfortunately Shiva(corrson) is not in town..he's floating somewhere in sydney..!
U can drop into his office. His wife handles the business in his absense. Yesterday i talked to her. She's also not in town for couple of days... So please visit corrson may be after 2-3 days. You can call up on the no:'s listed on their site...btw the office in sin Jayanagar 4th block now and not in banasankari..I've included the required information in the doc..!

The map.... I would reccomend that u come to silk board junction(see map) and proceed because it will be a real adventure trying the other route..though i dont know what is the situation now.! Or take the route with that pleasuruble drive through Brigade road..:D

ajju.

Attachments

• corrson.zip
    5.7 KB · Views: 35
Variac said:
George, I am looking forward to at least seeing the knobs.
I will retain one to show online with my Par-Metal box when it arrives. I will forward one to Peter Daniels for his inspection, along with the black knobs. The rest go to Mr. UVODEE because he had the faith to order some of them from the beginning.
Since Jean-Pierre wanted six, it might be nice if you can send him all six. And since the knobs you send to Peter Daniel are samples, he may be willing to return them to you. (This includes the small black ones.)

The saddest story is Tarun, who AFAIK has NO knobs. What a terrible irony!!
You know right, and the irony (or the aluminy, in this case) is of a high order. But deferred gratification has its own rewards. :)

Navin: If you work next door to Uncle Harry, couldn't you just have him give you a call when he is setting up for interesting knobs, you pop over, with your trusty digicam, post the images online for overnight approval? Then add a few to his production run after you see who is interested? This might take care of the needs of the group amp makers..
Actually, there is good news on this front. Uncle Harry has been very impressed and deeply moved by the fact that a US reseller is willing to trust him and place an order for a few hundred knobs, sight unseen, sans samples, only by some photos and word of mouth. He says he's "feeling guilty" that he didn't have to do anything to build this overseas buyer's confidence. Therefore, he's now decided that if there are other similar buyers, they should at least get to see some pictures and get a chance to contact him if they want his knobs... they should not have to do it blind like this gentleman has done.

Hence ... (drum rolls, please)... Uncle Harry went yesterday with a borrowed digicam to a friendly industrial photographer, and got a whole pile of his knobs photographed. And he's now exploring ways to set up a Website. He says it'll at least carry his knobs' pictures, if not anything else.

Let's hope it all works out. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.