[INDIA] Chassis, knobs, PCB makers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some more options

The fourth option is from the "EP" series of circular connectors, #460-244 and friends. Very attractive appearance. You get them in 3-way, 4-way, and 5-way plugs and sockets, but they are expensive. A 3-way cable-mounted plug (#460-244) is Rs.903, and a 3-way chassis-mounted socket (#460-272) is Rs.989. Rated for 20A.
W460216-01.jpg

The fifth option is Neutrik Powercon connectors. They are apparently very rugged and have non-metallic bodies. Rated 20A RMS, designed for mains supply connections. Each connector has three poles, which will be ideal for my purpose (+vcc, gnd, -vcc). A cable-mounted plug (#246-8278) costs Rs.591 and a chassis-mounted socket (#246-8290) costs Rs.309.
W246827-01.jpg

The sixth option is the Neutrik Speakon series. You get them in 2-pole, 4-pole and 8-pole configs. I don't have prices with me. Nice non-metallic bodies and twist locks for safety. Designed for amp-to-speaker connections. Here's a chassis-mount socket:
R464690-01.jpg
and here's some of them plugs:
C426233-01.jpg

Which of these seems interesting? Any suggestions? And any pointers to any local connectors which will deliver good high-current connections reliably at a fraction of the price?

Tarun...
I would reccomend that you check out the range from MX. They have XLR connectors...Pretty well made i would say..no goldplating...those where there in th catalogue bt were a bit pricey...they have all sorts...panel mount males and females and the normal males and females....you might want to check them out...They also have a cable stop and the body is made of metal...so y can use that as an additional ground if in need...All of them are about equally priced...35-40 bks a piece here in bangalore...If u cant find them in bom..let me know i can get you a few samples...
Ok b4 taht let me see if i have photographs of them somehwere...!

Thanx
ajju

ajju said:
I would reccomend that you check out the range from MX. They have XLR connectors...Pretty well made i would say..no goldplating...
Thanks, pal. This was what I was hoping to get from you guys. I do all the donkey work of looking up the RS Website, and then I sit back and hope that one of you guys will shoot it all down with some much more affordable local alternatives. :D

I'll certainly pay a visit to Champion Rubber Stores to see whether they can give me some MX XLRs. And I don't need gold-plating here.. the voltages and currents will be high enough to make such ultra-pure contacts unnecessary, I think. If I were doing mic hookups, it would be a different matter. :)

ajju said:
but...
err...Champion Rubber Stores...?? and MX connectors...?
am i missing something....?? :scratch2:
Welcome to the Great Mystery that is L.Road. Here, Champion Rubber Stores sells anything other than rubbers. In fact, most of the things they sell are metal. :D

OT..did u get my email..continuum...? or have u put a filter on the rubbish..?? :D
I had actually replied to your earlier mail, but it appears you didn't get it. Strange that just that one mail would drop out. Anyway, I didn't have anything significant to add... :)

Taruns range of connectors

Wow Tarun, excellent work there!!.

I'm afraid I may not be able to view all the connectors you've posted, owing to ISP bandwidth constrains at my end but those that you have posted and which I have had patience to wait for my browser to open look really really cool! The prices are very reasonable too because they seem to be high on the quality thing. I don't think anyone in this group can compare to your prowess at getting things so good and yet so reasonably priced. I'm talking about those knobs, especially those knobs. My question always is how the heck do you get the time for all this? You're one of the few I know who are so very passionate about DIY audio. BTW I wasn't able to post a thing for the last few days or a week as I was too busy ecking out a living and the week was hectic. However I did notice today that you were looking for some hi-amp connectors and answered a few of your own questions too in your following posts .

The prices at Associated Elec, are very very reasonable at Rs.353 for a pair of the Neutriks for my Mosfet amps(not Titan2000). Order placed and am awaiting delivery. I bought them at Rs.600 a pair from www.partsexpress(approx $4 each). Sangram introed me to these guys and their response is just great.. Try them.

Keep up the good work.

Pat

Joined 2002
Paid Member
As a landmark, these guys are two shops after Deepak Chowdhary's Panda audio showroom-cum-shop on L. Road, if the aforesaid Panda showroom is to your right. If Panda is to your left the connectors shop is two shops before it. On the same side as Panda.

And of course, if you don't know where Panda is, I have no clue on how to help you, I don't know Mumbai at all!! They are authorised dealers for Neutrik, Ampheon, and I suspect he can also offer you MX. Pretty good guys.

IEC is actually pretty idiot-proof. You just have to ensure the chassis mount is of the type that is normally used to send out power (for the amp) and the same type for the PS, and use male-male cords for DC connections where you need to idiot proof. That way you can be sure that no one will be able to plug a mains-carrying IEC lead into your amp. All mains cords will be of the male type at the receiving socket, or the female type at the end of the supply cable. Having a female socket will not allow the user to plug in a mains cord at all...

Patrick, have you got your speakons?

sangram said:
As a landmark, these guys are two shops after Deepak Chowdhary's Panda audio showroom-cum-shop on L. Road, if the aforesaid Panda showroom is to your right. If Panda is to your left the connectors shop is two shops before it. On the same side as Panda.
This is good enough for me, thanks. I'll check them out the next time I go visit L.Road. Am currently too busy earning a living to have such opportunities.

And of course, if you don't know where Panda is, I have no clue on how to help you, I don't know Mumbai at all!!
One can always start by visiting the Panda Audio Website, getting their phone numbers from there, and calling them up for directions. :D

IEC is actually pretty idiot-proof. You just have to ensure the chassis mount is of the type that is normally used to send out power (for the amp) and the same type for the PS, and use male-male cords for DC connections where you need to idiot proof.
This is interesting. I've so far seen only IEC chassis-mounted plugs in L.Road... i.e. they are male. I guess one can get the female types too, in which case they'll begin to look different from the ordinary ones that we see on the backs of computers, amps, and CD players.

Thanks for the pointers.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
tcpip said:
One can always start by visiting the Panda Audio Website, getting their phone numbers from there, and calling them up for directions. :D

This is interesting. I've so far seen only IEC chassis-mounted plugs in L.Road... i.e. they are male. I guess one can get the female types too, in which case they'll begin to look different from the ordinary ones that we see on the backs of computers, amps, and CD players.

Thanks for the pointers.

I know where Panda is because of instinct and one full Saturday trudging the main L. Road (and not the bylanes).

IEC female types are available. Most computer PSUs have one at the back in addition to the input, for supplying secondary power to monitors etc. But you're right in the sense that no Indian-made PSUs have a female - only male ones and a switch...

can you guys let me the details on how to mount different transistor package types(are the heatsinks unique for certain package say like are there seperate heatsinks for to-220 and to-3 )
how exactly is the heatsink incorporated into a chassis?

how are the transformer, bridge rectifiers and caps made into a power supply. do they need to be mounted on any type of material. some projects show the caps and tranny attached to the board.
how are different chassis defined. how are they different
finally how is the heatsink and power supply fitted into the chassis without causing a short.
i am relatively new to this, so guys please bear with me if i make some stupid statements or ask some dumb questions.
i am an engineering student in MSRIT, Bangalore in my third year in the electronics dept.
i see that most if not all my peers are interested in digital and small signal elctronics and no one is interested in power electronics and solid state. i know that i am an exception so hope u guys will help me become as good if not better than some of u guys on this as#kicking forum.

i am presently not involed in any amp project since i first have to finish my sixth sem project(its an electronic altitude meter using the pic micro)yeah, yeah i know mine's a digital project too. its because i am in a group and the others did not think much of an power electronics job.

some of you guys really intimidate me with your knowledge(thats you tarun,navin,rahul and the rest of the guys). by the way u guys never do mention as to what type of music u listen to.

looking forward to learn 'all' from all you maestros.

diyaudio totally rocks.

IEC female connectors are available at many shops on SP road, including Vishal Electronics.

Somewhat off-topic, but Vishal Electronics also stocks a combined IEC power entry socket (male), EMI suppresion filter and fuse holder from Elcom. It's not cheap (Rs. 150), but it makes a diff. I made some amps before without EMI suppression filters, and when I switch on a tube light, they crackle. This one doesnt (well, it does, but very faintly). May be worth a shot. In case you're not a fan of IEC connectors, Elcom also makes EMI filters with connection wires. These won't work as well as the integrated unit, because the input wires will radiate EMI into the amp chassis.

sachi,
Hi, welcome aboard. One word of caution: amp and speaker building can be very expensive, so don't get carried away when most ppl talk about sinking Rs. 2000+ on drivers, etc. Most folks in college (or fresh out of it, like me) are best off at the lower end of the spectrum (think Indian drivers and components). BTW, I have a Rush album (Fly by Night) playing now :)

Peter,
You've got email disabled too. Anyway, I've enabled mine. And no, I dont have Live in Rio, I wish I did. It seems the only ways to get any Rush albums is to ask "Rich Uncles" abroad to send some over or to resort to piracy... with all the trash that's being passed off as "music" these days. B'lore has a rather decent music store called "Habitat", the owner's a big Jazz and Rock'n'roll fan. He had a decent rock collection, including Rush, but his supplier stopped sending in more CDs. I had this grand idea of buying every Rush album on CD (one a month :) ) but then this happened. So I'm still left with 9 CDs to get :bawling:

Very sorry abt the off topic post, but no other way to contact Peter.

roadkill said:
sachi,
Hi, welcome aboard. One word of caution: amp and speaker building can be very expensive, so don't get carried away when most ppl talk about sinking Rs. 2000+ on drivers, etc.

u guys too young to listen to rush. i used to listen to them in my college days and that was a while back. yes DIY can get very expensive esp. if you factor in the time and the effect it can have on your social life.

2 young or 2 old !!

Hey Navin,

Yes pls let me get my hands on your Rush collection. I mean DVD/VCDs if any. Need it for a live program here featuring covered music down the ages - from 1900s- joplin's ragtime days,duke ellington,Louis Armstrong, etc etc Hendrix,ABBA,CCR, to Dream Theater and present day Deicide and Incubus. We normmaly cover every genre of Music. An acquaintance of mine toured South India including Bangalore recently with great Sucess doing piano renditions for a lot of classical and rock pieces including Queen. Am wanting the same thing but am doing everything from original artist scoresheets. If any of you here have popular music Vedeos on musicians and bands of every genre of music please let me know.

Kinda offthread but from the earlier posts from thread members makes this seem like the best place to find material like this in India at least.

Pat

no takers??

If any of you here have popular music Vedeos on musicians and bands of every genre of music please let me know.

well i don't know if you are talking about original videos. i only have videos given to me by my friends either in dat form or in mpg format.
i have the doors,gnr,eminem,mettalica,cradle of filth,sepultura,rammstein and a few others.

regarding to my ealier post, are there no takers.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
KNOBS moving along...

OK, The knobs arrived in San Francisco friday as predicted,
This torturous path is actually a good thing in that I had a chance to look at the smaller black knobs as well as the silver originals.

I had a high fever friday and discovered at the emergency care, that my "bad cold" had developed into pneumonia. This kept me from even looking at them. (excuses, excuses.....;) )

Furthermore I had just contracted for a new DSL service so I had no internet conection, and was too caught up in my self-centered shivering to register the new connection!!!

So the knobs are now packaged and in the box at the post office, and will ship out early Mon morning I suppose. Uvodee you willl be pleased. I sent the 4 knobs as I mentioned. I sent another plus the 2 black samples to Peter. The black knobs were essential to show the options and quality available.

While the silver knobs, are beautiful, their design eliminates many knob options that people interested in ordering knobs need to know about, such as indicator slits, flats cut on the cylinder, knurling, skirts, etc. The small black knobs show that any knob option can be executed by Uncle Harry to perfection.

I can now understand Tarun's frustration, having seen the entire collection but with only one knob to show. Tarun, you should be understanding, though, that the silver knob alone didn't really answer the question as to whether any knob could be made.
The small black knobs answer elequently.

I hope Peter can photograph them and post the pic. They were beyond the capabilities of my digital cam....

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.