• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy

Hi Ian,

In regards to the mclk connection If i am to use an hdmipi transmitter with the fifopi q3 and reclockpi, i need to do the following:
1. I need to connect a ufl cable from (bottom side) mclk ouput of fifopi q3 going to mclk input of reclockpi?
2. I need to connect a ufl cable from (top side) mclk ouput of fifopi q3 going to mclk input of hdmipi transmitter
Pls confirm if this is correct

Thanks

Need advice please. I need to know which items of your current product line I can use without a rasberry pi to create reclock/fifo for my dual D3 [TDA1541] simultaneous mode.
My input is NOT usb or computer based [no digital storage currently] just SACD/CD. Yeah I am an old timer. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

best regards,
Steve

Disabled Account
Joined 2020
I just looked at the ReceiverPi again and noticed it has I2S input.

Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

If I want to go with JLSounds I2SoverUSB, I can bypass BridgePi or StationPi Pro if I don't go the Amanero Combo384 route? I just want to keep as simple as possible. RPI-less, just clean low latency PC USB.

I2SoverUSB - I2S over USB Audio

JLSounds I2SoverUSB -> I2S -> ReceiverPi okay or not okay? Same with Combo384, Combo384 -> I2S -> ReceiverPi?

I was also considering picking up a $99 Sony optical player w/ opt out at Best Buy which I want to experiment if I can battery power with 12V.

I don't know how to power the JLSounds I2SoverUSB, so not sure if it's cleaner to go with Combo384 since you don't need power?

Also, I2SoverUSB has no low latency mode. Only Combo384 can do low latency. I want to experiment with extreme low latency on PC USB side -> low latency USB2I2S converter.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2020
Hi Ian,

No hurry. I'm delaying the desktop side until next year so just exploring USB2I2S options right now.

For this year, I'm just going to try to implement Andrea's clock into my portable Q3 and then I'm finished for the year.

Next year, Pulsar clock to complete portable project. And then a desktop FIFO solution for Andrea's clock to complete desktop project.

So I'm pretty much done for the year unless a 12V UcConditioner is released.

Hopefully set a good foundation as a novice DIYer my first year. Learned a lot...

EDIT: Oh, the AKM factory fire is going to affect the supply side of TransportPi and ReceiverPi. That's going to hurt everyone. Hope that situation improves. That's going to sting.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,

So I'm pretty much done for the year unless a 12V UcConditioner is released.

Once covid is gone i will ask a former friend who is an engineer at Semisouth in Vietnam if he can develop a circuit that will allow you to put more than two supercaps in series and have them charged gradually with an audiophile style supply that will also have enough juice to charge them within ten minutes. Greetings,Eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2020
Hi @eduard

Curious how that will turn out. When it involves batteries and super caps, I play it super safe so only standardise on Ian's, Maxwell 325F and A123 products. I'm done experimenting for now and just want stability. Using non-Ian products is too high a risk of property loss not to mention personal health. It's not worth the small incremental improvements (3000F) or savings in charging time when you look at the big picture of things for my case (risk & health & loss). I even put Ian's products inside a certified electrical case just to be cautious as I'm a novice.

The 12V UcConditioner is for a future PC project, so I can wait until Ian decides he wants to pursue that project. I guess a 12V or 15V UcConditioner Super Cap will work too with Andrea's clock, but haven't thought that far yet. I can wait until end of 2022 since I really want to focus on building a Super back-end PC build (Dual Xeon Gold w/ ECC w/ possibility of Andrea's 24MHz clock at the heart of the PC internally) instead of a simple front-end PC build (NUC) so that's going to take some time. So just going to play it safe and wait for an Ian release. I don't take risks when it comes to Super Caps. Too much of an unknown for I.

My only simple experimental project left for the year is to series 2 X A123 3.3V to power Ian's LPS w/ UcConditioner 5V for my USB optical cable. This is separate from the LiFePO4 MKIII as I want to save rail space.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2020
Nice. A 12V-16V UcConditioner would be amazing. Even more so if you have the ability to swap 325F and 450F adapters. That was a great find with the 450F, but for those that have leftover 325F it would be nice to still have that as an option.

BCAP0450 P270 S18 Maxwell Technologies | Mouser

Once things settle down for those implementing Andrea's clock, there may be a need for Super Cap optimisation in a few months.

But please take your time. It's good to have downtime between projects.

In my case, I'm just trying to get things working on the desktop side this year. I won't be fully optimising until 2022. I'm more than happy with the portable setup for this year, especially with the RCP so desktop is just a luxury.

I don't mind though having a 16V UcConditioner for my current low latency NUC build. I can also use with Andrea's clock so may eventually need two 16V UcConditioners in the long-term. But again, it's just a luxury for now as desktop in flux while I'm trying to roll out the portable for production personal use.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello .
At first i wanted to go for the 450F and when i told Ian he figured out a way to use them after i told them new stock of 325F will arrive at Mouser 27 July. Apart from more F there is no technical reason to get the 450F. If the board would be real cheap and you dont wanna wait you could use the 450F.
IF there would be a higher F cap that is clearly better than i would use Ian's technique and probably a new owner would accept the solution.
Greetings, Eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2020
For Super Caps, I would gravitate towards the safest and most reliable route. I'm fine with just 325F and would not hack a board to get 450F working at this time. But if there is a solution such as a adapter you can swap, I would consider the 450F.

I'll trust whichever direction Ian decides is best. The 450F is a new option so I don't expect Ian's current solutions to support the 450F, but there's a chance new solutions will.

If there is a 16V option, it may open up the doors to more PC power solutions. I can possibly power a HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX which powers a motherboard:

16V-30V wide range voltage input support, 6 layer 2oz copper PCB
But this is all speculative until I experiment hands-on as a HiFi PC is such a big rabbit hole.

HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX Converter

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Right now there is just the 325F that will fit but it will be on stock again 27 July. This is the information i got confirmed after ordering at Mouser.
At first Audiophonics site in France wrote restock within two weeks BUT now they mention 29 July to first week of August.
Could well be that this is a sign that its the last production run. Similar caps with different mounting dimensions are in stock and if there is enough demand they would not let it happen that items are not in stock for a few months.
Greetings, eduard