I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and yes and no to the clapping thingy..., my room is quite dampened but less that was before.
And you cannot predict on logic what goes on. My front horns played best in a totally empty room (we were moving) - so soft and organic - that I believe now in their potential more than ever before.

When second change came to my system (replacing Cable talks in my fourth system with Audioquest F14-solid core copper) it replaced the character of sound from washed-grey-colored to very colorful one.

When some people hear, see and smell things other justdo not and their memory stores that so they can remember the world left behind, others perceive it as a derivate of their logic. I was to young and blameless then when I heard that change. And change brings another change in.

It seems funny saying this to you guys that should know a lot more about sound chain complexity... we really shouldn´t bring it down to a level when people will ask themselves if DACs "sounds" different - a bit is a bit - right?, and why should we have so many voice coils ? and membranes it should just move some air and that is it. And so on with cables, it just transfers signal to those boxes 3m away..., and nevermind speaker stands or equipment rack, haha, you will end up in the beginning of the road...experiment, open mind, flexibility, direction, my friends.

!!
T

Eva said:
Do you perceive differences in sound between rooms of different size and shape?

Eva

Acoustical problems annoy me a lot less than electrical. Don't know why, but that's how it is. I hear the same deficiencies in a given amplifier through many different speakers and in different acoustic environments. Same with cables. No argument that room acoustics or speakes are important; somehow i am just more sensitive to other types of distortion.

Hi Eva, those are pertinent questions, however, I haven't noticed anyone suggesting that cables should be the first or most important method for adjusting the sound of your system to your liking. I certainly would not go down that road. Just to be clear, the fact that they affect the sound of my system is more of a nuisance to me than an advantage.

Re cables with electrical charge - I have a friend who paid good money for such cables - then found that they sound better in his system with the batteries out.

Brett, if I have said something that offended you, I apologize.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Eva said:
These are a few questions for people claiming to hear differences between cables:

Do you perceive differences in sound when changing speaker placement and listening position?

Yes, I find speaker placement and listening position to be very important, I suggest that it must be optimised before experimenting with cables.

Originally posted by Eva
If your reply to the previous question is yes, are these differences more or less drastical than the ones that you perceive between cables?

Both could have a drastical effect on the sound, depending on what cables you use for the comparison.

Originally posted by Eva
Do you play with these parameters often?

Yes, I like to experiment with different idea's.

Originally posted by Eva
How much time have you taken to optimize these parameters in your current setup?

Too much. :D

To get a system to sound good in a room can take a lot of listening and changing positions, adding absorbtion etc. Then you can start working with cables, don't know if it will ever stop.

Originally posted by Eva
Do you perceive differences in sound between rooms of different size and shape?

Yes but ultimately I want to feel as if I'm in the recording venue.

Originally posted by Eva
Can you hear a reverberant tail when you clap your hands in your listening room?

No.

Originally posted by Eva
Have you made any attempt at conditioning the acoustics of your listening room?

That is one of the most important aspects in hi-fi to achieve good SQ.

Eva,

i think i know what you are aiming at.

In fact differences occuring by changing room acoustics
and speaker positioning have greater impact than all those
"fine tuning" measures. And btw. they are measured easily.

But the effects are different. They are on different levels of
audibility. I agree that talking about cables (and other fine
tuning measures) makes not really sense, if a system suffers
from serious deficiencies in acoustics, causing bad transient
response and/or unbalanced frequency response or
direct/indirect sound ratio changing rapidly with frequency ...

But i feel, if a system is arranged lovelessly concerning those
"fine tuning measures" like

- matching the components
(intuitively like "brilliant preamp" driving "warm power amp" ...)
- suppression of vibration [of speaker cabinets e.g. ! ]
- wiring and connecting
and so on ...

there will remain something like a "glass ceiling" of reachable
maximum quality, which you cannot break through. It is there.

Without those "fine tuning measures" i mentioned there will
always remain some kind of "harsh" or "dull" or "flat" or
whatever sounding impression, separating the listener from
the music.

And i would say this is not what i believe, this is what i know
for sure ...

IMO one has always to adress the "hard skills" (acoustics) and
the "soft skills" of a system (fine tuning). Both levels are needed.
It is just like in real live :D .

---
This reminds me of a paper describing the process
steps of making the base of a violin.

Material was removed using finer and finer tools.
Laquer is applied.
Laquer dries.
Instrument is played for some years.

Every step causes a change in the characteristics, which is
measurable in the formants exhibited by the instrument.

I normally do not like comparing hifi gear with musical
instruments, because a good hifi component should be
the contrary of a musical instrument.

But since objects of both realms are made of real material
using human skills, there are consonances.

Maybe this helps understanding, what i mean.

Kind regards

Eva said:
These are a few questions for people claiming to hear differences between cables:

Yes
More
Only during setup & with a tape measure and bubble level. (Do you?)
A lot?
Who doesn't?
Yes.

Next?

analog_sa, room issues have effects our brains are hard wired to accept as natural, nature or nurture. By a very early age no one is consistently in wonder walking outside from a stone lobby. I suspect that's why we tune it out so easily. Eva however seems to be implying the tint in glasses isn't a distorting effect if you wear them indoors and out. The argument is also petard self-hoist. After all, how can you justify sweating +- 1dB in the x-over if the room is +-20?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I see Audioquest are now working on the idea that cable burn-in may occur during use which gradually produces a persistent charge on some layers of the dielectric, and are working on cables with battery-charged dielectric to give that "cable-cooked" sound right out of the box!

A bit late to the party but that idea is most certainly not new.
The best solution is not to use synthetic stuff in the fisrt place, use silk or cotton, rice paper or air...
Of course, every scientist will tell you that there's no possibility whatsoever such static can build up in the first place....

Cheers, ;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
rdf said:

Any avid cyclist can attest to perfect efficiency of a pedestrian's ear/brain system at filtering out the most obvious, even panicked sounds. In many cases the threshold detection can be improved dramatically by throwing the bell at them.

Hi,

As an avid cyclist not having a bell on my bike I rely on my ungreased Campy freehub which doubles as a bell (machine gun sound for the uninitiated)) as soon I stop pedalling.
If that doesn't help, I just unclip and stick my foot out. 100% efficient.
Wish I had a similar device for the hearing-impaired members of the forum. :clown:

Jokes aside, merry X-mass all;)

Pan said:

Absolutely not. ABX tests is very good at highlighting audible differences in different gear and procesing, it's done with good success often, by many amateurs and pro's.

The fine things is that you exclude the possibility of being influenced by mumbo jumbo, snake oil, outer apearance of the DUT, its price and so on. Only if there is a real difference it will be perceived.

Mind telling the results and how the test was done?

Ok, if the test was performed correct and you actually identified the IC's.. did you analyze the situation, performing measurements to se if there was a logic explanation to the differene in sound?

I actually thought so before as well but I do not think the answer can be found there.

/Peter

Test methodology and results were reported somewhere in these forums - will find it for you. I have a cheap multimeter - not up to the task, but no reason to believe that RLC differences could possibly be audible.

I actually handicapped myself slightly with my choice of music. The test was scientifically up to scratch. The results were statistically significant - just!

It was done largely for myself - to see if I was deluding myself or not. Others were interested. It was harder than I expected.

Jakob2 said:
@ tnargs,

any dbt produces as easily false results as every other test routine.
That´s the reason why one has to use controls to show that the test results are meaningful and valid.

And otherwise a sighted listening can produce perfectly correct results, but unfortunately an observer can´t know about it.

If you train some listeners for reaching good results under blind test conditions, you´ll quite often see, that they will be able afterwards to confirm previous results from sighted tests.

Otherwise, if you do not train your dbt participants, you´ll quite likely provide a lot of false negatives on test subjects that are well known to be audible.

Thats the basic rule of science; your own (strong) beliefs just can be used to provide working hypothesis but any proof has to provided following accepted scientific routine.

tnargs said:
...I can totally guarantee you that, whatever weakness may or may not exist in controlled testing methods, the weaknesses of uncontrolled sighted listening are many thousands of times greater. Where these two test methods lead to different conclusions, there is really no contest, it is a no-brainer decision which to believe.....

For good reasons it shouldn´t be a matter of believe. Both test methods are prone to false results, so only proper scientific methodology does help to get some confidence in any result.

Wishes

Thanks for discussing Jacob2, but at what point did I suggest uncontrolled dbt was any good?

Re: when you started...

hihopes said:
... those who have taken the time to try out different types of cable will know that they can make a difference and no amount of argument or attitude will convince them otherwise, because they are no longer working from logic, but from direct, repeatable observation. ....

I presume you and all those you are referring to above are each and every one a millionaire courtesy of James Randi, for your demonstrably paranormal hearing.

Are you listening to the advice you are receiving here? *Everyone* hears (or more correctly thinks they are hearing) cable differences during sighted listening, but this listening has no validity as a test. As soon as the listening is conducted in a valid controlled testing environment, no one can hear differences in cables that are correctly specified for the purpose in basic engineering LCR parameters. This has been done. It has repeatability. This is the *true* "direct, repeatable observation" that you thought you were getting from sighted comparison.

T11 said:
...I just want to know- did ones that are saying cables do not make difference try it and on what system? ...

*Please* read the thread.

I get the feeling that this thread was re-energized after a few quiet months by the innocents who believe that if they heard *it* during sighted tests, then it must be true. This thread contains extensive discussion of the weakness of such a belief.

Maybe someone can help me understand the difference between (a) the way sighted test adherents attack controlled testing methodologies, while focusing their attention anywhere but on the weaknesses of the sighted test, and (b) the way creationists attack evolution (with special venom for Darwin), while focusing their attention anywhere but on the flimsy to nonexistent evidence supporting their preferred "theory".

rdf said:

analog_sa, room issues have effects our brains are hard wired to accept as natural, nature or nurture.

This is pretty much the way i feel. On several occassions i had the opportunity to set up a system in really cursed rooms. Not pretty. Once i thought the room was the reason for severe bass problems but it turned out it was only the equipment support.

Interestingly, some people talk of room treatments as if it's an exact science. IME "treated" rooms are often much worse for music listening than untreated. If anything they allow (demand?) higher sound levels.

Re: Re: when you started...

tnargs said:

<snip>

*Please* read the thread.

Why bother with that? They already have the answers they want.

tnargs said:

I get the feeling that this thread was re-energized after a few quiet months by the innocents who believe that if they heard *it* during sighted tests, then it must be true. This thread contains extensive discussion of the weakness of such a belief.

Maybe someone can help me understand the difference between (a) the way sighted test adherents attack controlled testing methodologies, while focusing their attention anywhere but on the weaknesses of the sighted test, and (b) the way creationists attack evolution (with special venom for Darwin), while focusing their attention anywhere but on the flimsy to nonexistent evidence supporting their preferred "theory".

not much... selective use of those "scientific" principals that meet their agenda, and summary dismissal of those that don't. Same ole same ole...

John L.

tnargs said:

I presume you and all those you are referring to above are each and every one a millionaire courtesy of James Randi, for your demonstrably paranormal hearing.

Are you listening to the advice you are receiving here? *Everyone* hears (or more correctly thinks they are hearing) cable differences during sighted listening, but this listening has no validity as a test. As soon as the listening is conducted in a valid controlled testing environment, no one can hear differences in cables that are correctly specified for the purpose in basic engineering LCR parameters. This has been done. It has repeatability. This is the *true* "direct, repeatable observation" that you thought you were getting from sighted comparison.

For the above:

If good hearing is paranormal,tell us something normal.If those who hear differences are fould by their brain,then what are you,the chosen ones who can control your brain?

If normal is to question your senses because you cannot measure(today)what you hear,then teach us the way to do the same.

If we were waiting from you to see or hear any progress,we would still be listening our music through the phonograph.Thank God the phonograph was not competently designed from the start.

Make a twisted pair of interconnect with conductors of your choice and listen to them carefully if you can or know how.Then,make another using the same conductors but first remove the insulation from the +conductor and have another listen.If you don't hear a difference that's fine.If you do,either you can measure it or not,it is the absense of the insulation that you will be hearing.There are hundreds of ways you can experiment with and perhaps you will be able to measure what you can or can't hear,or vice versa.
No one is attacking anything you say,or the known methods.If you feel that way,then,this is a real mind game.

I´m sorry tnargs; it´s a foreign language for me, so there might be a confusion from time to time.

As far as i understand the description in this point, the term "controlled" doesn´t necessary include "having used controls".

And i can´t remember of any dbt on cables that does include controls on sufficient sensitivity levels.

BTW, Randi doesn´t really qualify at this point. I´ve followed his las years approach, and for logical reasons his argumentation wasn´t really convincing.

tnargs said:

I have done blind tests on cables where I was able to identify the four different IC cables used by name, every time. I perceived the sound differences the same in the blind test and sighted.

Although I agree with some of the "advise", I believe it is possible to get the same results with sighted and blind tests.

André

analog_sa said:

Interestingly, some people talk of room treatments as if it's an exact science. IME "treated" rooms are often much worse for music listening than untreated. If anything they allow (demand?) higher sound levels.

So you like the reverberant mess, because this is what causes untreated rooms to appear to be louder (and with no definition). Then you must have a very strange concept of sound quality (100% placebo?)

Status
Not open for further replies.