Hum problem with jfet Aleph 3 (babbelfish)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is how I would do it. As far as I remember you have a nice fat GND track running along the boards length, I think its safer to use that as GND point. This is the straightforward way to wire your amp, IMO. I did a fast sketch of the actual amp, hope it turned out clear enough. On a further note, take advantage of the chassis height; run the AC along the bottom and the signals near the top. The dotted lines are underneath the board.
I didnt draw all the leads for both channels, in order to keep the drawing clear and easy to understand, the missing leads are just duplicated for the other channel.

Steen:)

Attachments

• how_to_wire_a_fish.jpg
    how_to_wire_a_fish.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 194
Nice drawing, thanks!

This is actually quite close to how I would have done it if I hadn't read all Choky's posts about star ground and only one gnd wire to amp board...

Is it correctly understood that only psu wires are grounded on psu board?
Are input and speakers grounded only through wires you have drawn to amp boards?
Any connections to chassis?
Is it normal that the toroids are vibrating slightly? Should I just tighten them?

I have a suspicion that my npn's might be reverse biased as the pnp's were, but I'm unsure what will happen if I try to turn them and it turns out I was wrong...

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
cviller said:
Nice drawing, thanks!

This is actually quite close to how I would have done it if I hadn't read all Choky's posts about star ground and only one gnd wire to amp board...

Are input and speakers grounded only through wires you have drawn to amp boards?
Is it normal that the toroids are vibrating slightly? Should I just tighten them?

I have a suspicion that my npn's might be reverse biased as the pnp's were, but I'm unsure what will happen if I try to turn them and it turns out I was wrong...

my mate's steen drawing is different than my usual approach in just one detail - spk neg wire ; he route that wire from chanel pcb,and I always route it from central gnd......but-if everything else is OK,both approaches are valid.
looking further at his sketch,I'm sure that steen draw rca jack insulated from chassis ; knowing all his pictures , I know that he always use isolated ones

edit

look at numerous Papa's pictures of First Watt lousy amps..........every one is study of simplicity and engineering approach.
there yo can see what is important and what is mumbo jumbo in all Diyaudio musings

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
cviller said:
Hi Zen Mod, I didn't intend on offending you... I'm just a bit confused because you previously said my wiring was wrong, both with speaker connection and rca connectors, where I used the shield as signal gnd.

I really appreciate you help!

if you can feel anything (of me) just looking at rows of words in this very moment is just weariness and flue ..........I'm really tired.....severall nights with even less sleep than usual,making one lousy site this days......
I didn't even think that I can be offended in any way...

hehe
you are not obliged to live zen in just one path.........
edit
you can do whatever you feel with input RCAs if you keep them isolated from chassis.....in that way you can't make ground loop through shield

Yes, absolutely!.
Yes.
No! We dont have gnd connection through the wall anyways, here in DK.
Yes, they vibrate slightly. If there is DC from the wall outlet, they will be pretty noisy, add a X2 cap if thats the case. They should be fairly tightly mounted.

There are more than one way of connecting everything, but the way drawn has been pretty good for me. (No hum)

Edit, yes, isolated RCA's please.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:

Nope, that takes more than you two Gent's:D
Hope you get well soon, Choky:) A big Brandy or two, should take care of the worst symptoms;)

hehe
tnx

now I see that I can't see.......even less than usual....4eyes Choky

I talk about RCAs and there are XLRs
anyway
edited Papasteen's sketch,in my usual reinventingboiledwater way

Attachments

• howtowireafishwithouthook.jpg
    howtowireafishwithouthook.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 166
Zen Mod said:
cviller
slight edit of pic
can you see the difference?

Yes i can. But if you connect the shield to the board you'll have a ground loop. You have turned steen's wiring into the one I have right now... except for the ac line.

Steen, is this the right one? Connected between N and P on ac line before mains?

Attachments

• p1040437.jpg
    p1040437.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 158
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
cviller said:

E1........Yes i can. But if you connect the shield to the board you'll have a ground loop. You have turned steen's wiring into the one I have right now... except for the ac line.

E2........Steen, is this the right one? Connected between N and P on ac line before mains?

E1..yes,but you didn't connected shields on both ends,just on input side.....correct?

make AC line as steen suggested

E2......yup,that's one

Zen Mod said:

E1..yes,but you didn't connected shields on both ends,just on input side.....correct?

make AC line as steen suggested

E2......yup,that's one

E1: Correct - just like on you stolen sketch. Edit: as the one with input connected to shield - first one I think.

E2: Cool, I'll make space for that when I have to route the ac line anyways.

I just double-checked the pnp and npn transistors and it makes no sense to me why mirroring the pnp's should make anything better... perhaps I need to change them back?!

Isn't correct that both bc546 and bc556 have pins c-b-e if you look on them from the top with the flat side facing you?

I'm not dropping the plans on changing my wiring, but I'll wait until tonight.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.