Hum problem with jfet Aleph 3 (babbelfish)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Following steens advise seemed to lower the noise noticeable. Shorting the inputs removed hum completely... cool!

I can hear a tiny hiss from one channel, but that channel is without the RC mumbojumbo - seems like a god mod for my fish.

Now I'll box it up and see if the hum can stay away.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
cviller said:
Following steens advise seemed to lower the noise noticeable. Shorting the inputs removed hum completely... cool!

I can hear a tiny hiss from one channel, but that channel is without the RC mumbojumbo - seems like a god mod for my fish.

Now I'll box it up and see if the hum can stay away.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1123832#post1123832

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1123832#post1123832

I don't wanna even remember nightmare I have several yrs ago ,when I build custom 2way toob xover for Klipsch Horns........

I build it 3 times,chasing how to eliminate hum.

don't ask me what was culprit........it wasn't logical at all.

you are just plain lucky with these trivial problems , trying few minor variations of grounding

I will bring it, but it's fixed! :D
I can hear tiny tiny hum from one channel at ~10cm from speaker and <5cm on the other. (The difference is due to a rc filter on input pair on one channel which is not there on the other)
I can also hear tiny tiny music signal from another channel on the preamp if I turn up volume - so I think my amp is the strongest link now.

I think noise entered chassis somewhere and wired to signal ground through rca connectors.

UPDATE:
The amp is warming up and I cannot get my ear close enough to hear hum on good channel the other is almost as silent.
I cannot reproduce the preamp music from another channel, so I guess I was just hearing things...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.