How can a resistor "sound" good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wavebourn said:
Today I bought on epay some bulk foil resistors, under $1 per peace. They will be installed in a GNFB loop.
If those are genuine Vishay S102's (or even of the S.O.T.A. Z201 type) this is a bargain.

I had correspondence a year or two ago with a guy who told me a new company is going to introduce a S102 comparable (made in Far East, I suppose) with 1/10th the price... but haven't heard about these ever since... so I stick to S102s as those are readily available.

- Klaus

why mot keep things simple, use carbon comps in the audio path, ither Allen Bradely's or Rikens for a more crisp sound, they are also more precise. Metal films for places were a precision resistor is of advantage, such as on the cathode bias of a tube, BC components or PRP, doesn't really matter to me, just as long as it is precise, sometimes Kiwames are good for when a higher power resistor is needed, and sound not as crisp. And in power supplies and plate resistors I use wire wound types, Mills are at a decent price, and are space efficient. ;)

It doesn't really matter to me what others use, I just mix and experiment with different types and compamy makes in search of satisfied result, as I can only notice larger variations in audio quality and noise.

And by the way, that picture above.... are you sure that that was a resistor and not something old and dried up? :yuck:

Johan Potgieter said:

You sure that was not a UFO beam?

:D :D :D :D :D

But sorry, KTSR - that certainly was proof of something. Not to belabour, but can you give us something of a clue as to where it sat in the circuit? Wattage?

Thanks
No, it was a DJ who decided he NEEDS clipping to get his sound from the PA... and he of course took out the horn drivers as well, didn't even notice it and almost set the polyester wading in the cabinet on fire! The circuit is a crossover, hence. I had to contact the mfgr. to get the value, it was 6R8, 20Watts, used in a parallel impedance correction circuit (or such) for the tweeter, which meant it was in-circuit even after the tweeter was sent to heaven -- the guy simply dialed in even more treble to compensate for that! So you can imagine the abuse it had to take...

And I was the responsible tech but I was away for an hour or so to relax a little (it was a 24h++ nonstop techno party).

EDIT: I should add that I removed the little that was left from the "D.U.T." :)D) before taking the picture... so "completely vaporized" is not the exact truth... but, say 90% (the spiral and the cement was gone, only some remains of the leads I found, the rest was powder, literally).

- Klaus

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
KSTR said:

and he of course took out the horn drivers as well, didn't even notice it and almost set the polyester wading in the cabinet on fire!

- Klaus

:rofl:

Anyway, crossovers I know a bit about

I can use 5watt cement in my crossover, if 5watt is the only I have with right value
Its works perfectly fine with no problems, and sound pretty good too
In xo the cement res is not the weak link at all
VERY high sound quality can be achieved with cement res in the xo curcuit

I can also use cement res stripped off the cement casing
I also have some with new thick copper leads solder on endcaps
At some point I was certain it sounded better that way
I dont care so much about that now, its not needed

KSTR said:
No, it was a DJ who decided he NEEDS clipping to get his sound from the PA... a

Hah-hah-hah! :D :D :D One DJ tried to get the same from my Pyramid-V that starts wildly compress input signal as soon as senses screen grid's current increase in output tubes. To make him happy I pulled down master faders on my console, and increased input sensitivity on a stereo channel input strip, so limiters started clipping. The guy was happy as the result, he said that finally he got the right sound he needed! :D

Conrad Hoffman said:
Agreement is likely impossible, but whatever statement has a chance will be worded very carefully. How 'bout-

"Resistors can have an influence on sound. That influence may range from negligible to moderate, depending on circuit location and resistor type."

I would say, "resistors add own errors in sound reproduction, in range from [...]"

Conrad Hoffman said:
[B
"Resistors can have an influence on sound. That influence may range from negligible to moderate, depending on circuit location and resistor type." [/B]

If so, can someone pin this down; which circuit area in a tube amp P_P & SE is most sensitive to the choice of resistor that can affect sound quality ? global nfb loop ? front end anode load ? grid bias ? overall noise?
I would have thought it was more probable the influence of a capacitor (not resistor) that was to affect sound quality.

richy

Conrad Hoffman said:
Agreement is likely impossible, but whatever statement has a chance will be worded very carefully. How 'bout-

"Resistors can have an influence on sound. That influence may range from negligible to moderate, depending on circuit location and resistor type."

Good Conrad.

I would say that is worded about as well as needs be. I consider the phrase "influence on sound" essential, as some appear to have a physicist's approach, no matter what.

richwalters said:
If so, can someone pin this down; which circuit area in a tube amp P_P & SE is most sensitive to the choice of resistor that can affect sound quality ? global nfb loop ? front end anode load ? grid bias ? overall noise?

No.
Because in my long experience, if this is genuinely so - that amplifier needs to be redesigned.

I would have thought it was more probable the influence of a capacitor (not resistor) that was to affect sound quality.

Right ..... and even there views are so often contradictory to reality that they more often lead a-stray than a-truth.

Sometimes wirewound resistors sound very loud, even when forced air cooled... There are couple of 2 of 2SK1018 in parallel in my Barracuda amp in each channel driven by tubes, and wirewound resistors 5.6 Ohm in each source. When 8 Ohm secondary was loaded on 2 Ohm speaker source resistors burst in flame: the amp fairly tried to deliver 800W / channel instead of 200W / channel...

wirewound_sound.jpg

richwalters said:
If so, can someone pin this down; which circuit area in a tube amp P_P & SE is most sensitive to the choice of resistor that can affect sound quality ?
For systematic aproach I would model (==simulate) the amp (probably stripped down to the essentials) and then do both monte-carlo runs as well as introduce linear parasitics and/or nonlinearities on purpose for the parts in question, and then look at the sensivity of that on performance... or just simply try out and listen/measure...

Not an easy task either way...

- Klaus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.