How can a resistor "sound" good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I damaged high precision hermetically sealed in copper boxes silver mica caps, in nanofarade to tens of nanofarade ranges! Also, I damaged many line transformers with permalloy and litz in silk wires, some of them were hermetically sealed in copper boxes.

I wouldn't feel too bad about losing a few fancy mica capacitors. They really aren't as accurate as the better film types sonically, IMO.

IMO, they are more accurate, also they live much-much longer with no degradation.

Sonically, they rank somewhere between polystyrene and polycarbonate in my book, and below polypropylene and teflon. The less than optimal dielectric absorption K of approximately 4 (worse than mylar) to me significantly compromises any potential sonic advantages of mica's low loss characteristics. Of course, YMMV, but that has been my general experience with these capacitor types. I agree that micas tend to be very rugged parts.

When I design a tube circuit, I select resistor power ratings when practicable on the assumption that a tube may go short, and that I want the affected resistors to live if that happens, so I resultingly typically overrate them by a factor of 4 times the expected dissipation or better if I can fit the part.

I have used a few cement type caps in some speaker xovers but, aside from their electrical & sonic characteristics, seldom got a good feeling about their structural integrity, especially for the 10Watt and larger types. In my last speaker design, I tried Mills wirewound resistors and immediately noticed a very significant sonic improvement as opposed to the metal oxide types I was previously using.

thoriated said:

When I design a tube circuit, I select resistor power ratings when practicable on the assumption that a tube may go short, and that I want the affected resistors to live if that happens, so I resultingly typically overrate them by a factor of 4 times the expected dissipation or better if I can fit the part.

I have to agree with you. Especially, when 5.6 Ohm wirewound resistors in sources of MOSFETs have a chance to see 170V B+ once in their life....

barracuda_disaster.jpg

thoriated said:
Just checked something I posted about mica - it turns out intrinsic mica has a K of about 7, but lower if there are air gaps between the sheets. Owie.

I suspect mica has much greater mechanical stability under high voltage swing. They also seem to work better with high bias voltages. All I know is my direct coupled efforts sound more like silver-mica coupled iterations than film coupled.

I suspect mica has much greater mechanical stability under high voltage swing. They also seem to work better with high bias voltages. All I know is my direct coupled efforts sound more like silver-mica coupled iterations than film coupled.

That sounds consistent with what I've experienced regarding mechanical stability of parts in general. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but silver micas have limited applicability as wideband signal coupling capacitors. When I tried a 600V dipped mica in a phono eq circuit for the 75 & 318 uS eq portion, it appeared to noticeably add a sort of 'sugary' euphonic coloration as well as some graininess as compared to 630Vdc polypropylene film and foil. (the bulk of the phono eq slope is handled by an air/teflon copper foil capacitor that I constructed myself, incidentally). Of course this particular application consisted of a large but essentially constant DC voltage across the capacitor with a small (a couple volts average) AC signal superimposed upon it, so mica may perform better relatively speaking with a much larger AC signal relative to the DC signal - I haven't tried one in that application, largely since my OTL amp is DC coupled and uses no feedback stability compensation. I also go to considerable lengths to isolate and acoustically dampen my low and line level audio circuitry (which I've designed and constructed, incidentally) from ambient vibration which may affect my relative perception here.

Trout said:

Here is a picture of the 10W 390 ohm Xicon Resistor,

As shown in the photo, the lead is only inserted about 3/32" into the resistor body.
Most of the ceramic dust came out with the lead though some was present before I lifted the resistor for the photo.

As far as heat goes, I still have not gotten and actual temp reading (waiting for more parts).
It does get fairly hot to the touch, Not burn/blister your finger hot, but noticeable.
It does not get hot enough to dis-color the Fiberglass Board Material which is .125 thick Electrical Grade Fiberglass (GP03) with an Operating Temperature Range 0° to +284° F

I mounted it flat and snug to the board, but it had no kinks in the lead nor was it abused in any way.

Picture Below
Xircon 390 ohm 10W

Ha, I just got my AES order, in it were a handful of those Xicon resistors... They are going to be dropping resistors for some VR tube regulators. I'll let you know if mine blow out.

thoriated said:

applicability as wideband signal coupling capacitors.

Don't underestimate silvered mica caps; they are more robust, more stable under heat than other types: and I use them as interstage couplers and snubbers, the advantage they can take the heat directly on tube sockets in a position where polystyrene would fail.
I used to live in an area where tamb = 35°C. The equipment internals with +50°C rise totalling 85°C can cause reliability problems for polystyrene.

Sonically I haven't detected any differences between polycarb or SM types.

richy

Re: Coming to a Conclusion

jlsem said:
You'll never hear the differences in the sound of a resistor (or capacitor for that matter) until the end of several weeks of break-in, so the whole exercise is pointless. :)

Amen. :)

I'm going to wait until the end of several weeks of break-in before starting measurement of the amp with redesigned output devices' current control. :cool:

badly burned out EL34

Here is the pic of the tube (aka as voltage controlled nonlinear resistor) I promised to post. Look a the stain on the anode and the now silky see-through getter...

That one also sent the mains tranny to heaven... of that rare Hiwatt 50W guitar top... :bawling:

- Klaus

Attachments

• abused_el34_web.jpg
    abused_el34_web.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 143
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.