Hiraga 20W class A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The Kaneda can be improved, Hiraga s designs not so much because they are intrinsicaly limited as there s not enough OLG to get better results..

As for the articles, and related to what is bolded in your post, well, i made all my scolarship in France from pre elementary school to university, so i have no doubt that i m as qualified as you, if not more, to fully understand what it is about....

Hello,
I think the vast majority of the members of this website cannot read French especially the kind of French used by magazines like l'Audiophile.
Pretty soon listening to music will be down to mp3 so why worry about Hiraga amps and ways to improve these monsters.
Greetings, Eduard

Hello,
I think the vast majority of the members of this website cannot read French especially the kind of French used by magazines like l'Audiophile.
Pretty soon listening to music will be down to mp3 so why worry about Hiraga amps and ways to improve these monsters.
Greetings, Eduard

So true,I wondered the same till i heard this overhaulled Hiraga 30w of mine. The upgrade is not for those who listen to poor mp3's, the upgrade is for those few people from diy audio who listen to flac, alac, vynil and other similar formats... only at those formats you really see some big differences between the hiragas and other amps..
I did not read french from the l'adiophille magazines but from the only site on the web wich I found, with people who builded and tested and improved the speaker that i'm building now: rubanoide or the Janus 50 speaker.
I'm from Romania, I allready know english, and hey I read and learn french too because i'm interested in this project...
I think that the problem today is that allot of people doesnt read extraordinary articles from french is because these things are only written in books and not present on the web and these books are not in all the libraries from the world... Another aspect is that there arent so much people out there who designs amps and stuff who uses the web.
I have also seen allot of people who assembles allot of stuff and doesnt want to share a thing about they'r succeses, and I think that this is why allot of people doesnt want to assembly these genious french designs. Because they dont know the designs secrets and who knows these designs secrets doesnt want to share it with us.

Cheers
Sergiu

BTW janus50 une sacrée évolution audio - Page 10 -

Very interresting paper about swiss rubanoide counterfacts which doesn't match the true Janus !

There are not 500 books in french about hifi ! a lot of papers and reviews but not so much books ! If you need a little help about it, tell me ! My english is bad but if you're french is poorer than my english I can maybe help on some phrases or expression where you will have a doubt !

PS : where do you putt the sheet and the tobacco ? Looks like an OCB cigarette device : http://www.leboncoin.fr/image_son/866092798.htm (OCB : une feuille ça colle, deux feuilles ça décolle !)

Last edited:
BTW janus50 une sacrée évolution audio - Page 10 -

Very interresting paper about swiss rubanoide counterfacts which doesn't match the true Janus !

There are not 500 books in french about hifi ! a lot of papers and reviews but not so much books ! If you need a little help about it, tell me ! My english is bad but if you're french is poorer than my english I can maybe help on some phrases or expression where you will have a doubt !

PS : where do you putt the sheet and the tobacco ? Looks like an OCB cigarette device : Paire rubanoide janus50 Image & Son Seine-Maritime - leboncoin.fr (OCB : une feuille ça colle, deux feuilles ça décolle !)

Hi Eldan,
That's the site, i'm at page 110. I have found allot of good info on this site like dimensions, hints,materials, and sound impressions. Pitty that only a few people did this speaker compared to french guys there who eat this at breakfast.
Thanks for the help because my french is not so good.

ps: désolé, je ne suis pas un fumeur .. ;)

Cheers
Sergiu

Hi Sergiu,
what toroidal transformers ratings do you suggest for Hiraga 30W build [i see that you have used 25-0-25 300VA] for each channel.
it is going to be Dual Mono design based on Jim's Audio PCBs available on ebay [pics posted earlier].

Hi bhpistorqintorpm,
I would sugest 400va trafos. If i had to rebuild my amp on both cases, normal bias or higher bias like mine i would run two 400va trafos or a single 800va trafo. 300va runs abit hot for my taste, they run even hotter then the outputs after 8 hours of listening..

Cheers
Sergiu

What's about Jean Hiraga's Le Monstre 8W? :)

I havent read the 8w article, but considering the power, two trafos of 100va or a single 200va trafo to run at cooller operation. :D

My rationament is, considering the "hot" experience that i have with the modified bias of 30w Hiraga is that the amp drains 3x times the power from the output, my case 3*30=90va. The trafo needs to output at least double this number so it gives me 180va. My trafos have 300va on the primary and 250va on the secondaryies (considering the loses in the core), so 250va/50v=5amps on each secondary.
Considering the fact that the trafos are running hot, a 100va margin should be taken into account for the trafos to keep them in the amp for all the amps life, if the amps case is well ventilated (has allot of vent holes in it) and for keeping the humm down because they humm abit, not loud, just when you put your ear at 30cm close to them (keep in mind that my trafos are impregnated in laquer). At 1 m you dont hear that humm. ;)

So for the 8w i double it two times: 8*3=24va*2=48va*2=96va to run them cool and smooth; so two 100va pcs or one 200va.

Cheers
Sergiu

Last edited:
I havent read the 8w article, but considering the power, two trafos of 100va or a single 200va trafo to run at cooller operation. :D

My rationament is, considering the "hot" experience that i have with the modified bias of 30w Hiraga is that the amp drains 3x times the power from the output, my case 3*30=90va. The trafo needs to output at least double this number so it gives me 180va. My trafos have 300va on the primary and 250va on the secondaryies (considering the loses in the core), so 250va/50v=5amps on each secondary.
Considering the fact that the trafos are running hot, a 100va margin should be taken into account for the trafos to keep them in the amp for all the amps life, if the amps case is well ventilated (has allot of vent holes in it) and for keeping the humm down because they humm abit, not loud, just when you put your ear at 30cm close to them (keep in mind that my trafos are impregnated in laquer). At 1 m you dont hear that humm. ;)

So for the 8w i double it two times: 8*3=24va*2=48va*2=96va to run them cool and smooth; so two 100va pcs or one 200va.

Cheers
Sergiu
Where're noises, in your 30W, noises in acoustic systems?:EEK:

Hi bhpistorqintorpm,
I would sugest 400va trafos. If i had to rebuild my amp on both cases, normal bias or higher bias like mine i would run two 400va trafos or a single 800va trafo. 300va runs abit hot for my taste, they run even hotter then the outputs after 8 hours of listening..

Cheers
Sergiu

I you follow my advice from the above post you could run the amp at 1.5A bias with the trafos barely warm to warm and 1.65A bias warm.
With the 1.5A bias my 300va trafos where running at 44~46 degrees celsius in the summer and at 1.65A bias at aprox 55 to 60 degrees in the summer at 21~23 degrees celsius ambient (in the enclosure) after 8 hours straight of continous listening .
Didnt measure the temps in the winter.

Cheers
Sergiu

Have you considered designed your power supply with choke input filter instead of capacitor input filer - like the tube guys - as this puts much less strain on the rectifier and power trafo - essentially allowing you to extract the full VA rating.

I thinking about compensation discrete stabilizer. Small CRC pre-filter (not bigger, than 0,132F) -> CDS -> 0,33F+ACB 12V*4,5Ah in buffer. I know that I crazy.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Have you considered designed your power supply with choke input filter instead of capacitor input filer - like the tube guys - as this puts much less strain on the rectifier and power trafo - essentially allowing you to extract the full VA rating.

Hello,
I have been trying to convince them of the use of chokes but they wont listen lol.
I would go for an R core because the two secundairy windings will be more identical than with other transformers where the 2 sec. windings are on top of each other.
Do some googling for Jac Music and filament supply.
greetings, Eduard

Hello,
I have been trying to convince them of the use of chokes but they wont listen lol.
I would go for an R core because the two secundairy windings will be more identical than with other transformers where the 2 sec. windings are on top of each other.
Do some googling for Jac Music and filament supply.
greetings, Eduard

Hi Eduard,
That is why i did specified that my trafos are custom made bicafillar winded, not one on top of each other. They are winded with two wires at the same time on the secondaryies.
I would love to try the chokes but i dont have space in my case for them now.

Cheers
Sergiu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.