Hiraga 20W class A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here Guys the Le Monstre 8W paper about the PS :

Amplificateur 8 W "Le Monstre". L'alimentation (J.Hiraga)

fig 14 : This was the simpliest version (without the battery which need a lot of Farads) : 0.68 F-> Resistor (4 ohms) -> 2 x 0.68 F : per rail with 160 VA and 14V ! (rectifier diodes must be 8A mini)

Here is a further review where Hiraga talk about a new model Siemens just launched (The Sikorel capacitor in 100 000 uF/25 V :) with a low ESR) :

On en parle n°31, retour sur le 8W

Here Guys the Le Monstre 8W paper about the PS :

Amplificateur 8 W "Le Monstre". L'alimentation (J.Hiraga)

fig 14 : This was the simpliest version (without the battery which need a lot of Farads) : 0.68 F-> Resistor (4 ohms) -> 2 x 0.68 F : per rail with 160 VA and 14V ! (rectifier diodes must be 8A mini)

Here is a further review where Hiraga talk about a new model Siemens just launched (The Sikorel capacitor in 100 000 uF/25 V :) with a low ESR) :

On en parle n°31, retour sur le 8W

And if use batteries in buffer, how much F need? :)

Yes in the most complex design, but you may use it without in a home environment : auto leads battery can have gaz emissions (even the so called "proof" one) : health is important ! The values are on the fig 14 for the bodybuilded one and on the pictures below (no french needed!)

But the most difficulty I see is the parts are choosed to copy a particular tube and are matched between each others... for a precise H2/H3 equilibrium.

The most F the best with a lead battery (I used to have a cd players with 1 F made from batery cells for PC for the 5V needed on a TDA1545A ! and more with // + serie for the analog output ! the transcient is not a problem : you putt a low esr cap near the load ! : it was the old method if you didn't want the fast transcient regulated supply...which has different qualities !)

Last edited:
You mean batteries & huges caps Versus régulation ?

Unluckily in french, there is an interresting thinking from Hiraga in the PS paper linked above for the poors & cons with smps supply vs passives... I don t undetstand it as too Much tecnich for my basic tech knowledge....

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
This thread is close to death but i will try to '' capture '' the thoughts in one or two lines.
The regulation seems to offer some advantages but a big problem is the high frequency noises that are kind of generated by this kind of supply which end up in the amplifier and are '' distributed '' all over other gear connected to your powerline.
Of course the usual diy member want to make it more complicated, throwing in loads of active parts. Most of them did never hear the kind of high effiency gear used by the French in combination with low power amps.
Greetings, Eduard

Hello,
This thread is close to death but i will try to '' capture '' the thoughts in one or two lines.
The regulation seems to offer some advantages but a big problem is the high frequency noises that are kind of generated by this kind of supply which end up in the amplifier and are '' distributed '' all over other gear connected to your powerline.
Of course the usual diy member want to make it more complicated, throwing in loads of active parts. Most of them did never hear the kind of high effiency gear used by the French in combination with low power amps.
Greetings, Eduard

Discrete compensation stabilizator, only discrete.., without "integrated elements".:)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Discrete compensation stabilizator, only discrete.., without "integrated elements".:)

Hello,
These 3 words do sound like a google translate result. In my '' diy career '' the best results so far always had a mix of the folowing elements:
Tube rectifiers whenever possible, r core or EI core instead of toriodal ones, use of static screen on transformers, using bigger transformers, choke input, LC filtering instead of RC, bigger chokes and smaller caps, double coil chokes like Lundahl, no series but only shunt regulation. Of course with tube amplication power suplly is easier because of low current.
With higher current Class A like Hiraga chokes can be used.
Did only try battery supply with class D works well. OOh did try battery with Hiraga mc prepre.
Start using chokes! so cheap they last a life time.
Greetings, Eduard

Hello,
These 3 words do sound like a google translate result. In my '' diy career '' the best results so far always had a mix of the folowing elements:
Tube rectifiers whenever possible, r core or EI core instead of toriodal ones, use of static screen on transformers, using bigger transformers, choke input, LC filtering instead of RC, bigger chokes and smaller caps, double coil chokes like Lundahl, no series but only shunt regulation. Of course with tube amplication power suplly is easier because of low current.
With higher current Class A like Hiraga chokes can be used.
Did only try battery supply with class D works well. OOh did try battery with Hiraga mc prepre.
Start using chokes! so cheap they last a life time.
Greetings, Eduard

Hi. :)
Discrete compensation stabilizator, as example. (not final version yet):):D

Attachments

• discrete compensation stabilizator (pre-alpha).jpg
    discrete compensation stabilizator (pre-alpha).jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 555
Jean Hiraga's Class A 20W in building process...:):):):eek:

Attachments

• Hir20W ART 001.jpg
    Hir20W ART 001.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 688
  • Hir20W_a01.jpg
    Hir20W_a01.jpg
    818.4 KB · Views: 659
  • Hir20W_a07.jpg
    Hir20W_a07.jpg
    671.6 KB · Views: 620
  • Hir20W_a03.jpg
    Hir20W_a03.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 563
  • Hir20W_a02.jpg
    Hir20W_a02.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 584
  • Hir20W_a04.jpg
    Hir20W_a04.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 326
  • Hir20W_a05.jpg
    Hir20W_a05.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 251
  • Hir20W_a06.jpg
    Hir20W_a06.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 249
  • Hir20W_a08.jpg
    Hir20W_a08.jpg
    769.1 KB · Views: 255
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.