High Pay, No Work, All Glory

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
When I started my little architecture office, I LOVED printing out the labels and wrapping the drawings and making the prints. Even buying my own boxes of red pens! There IS some kind of satisfaction in sweeping the floor to help your prized employees do their best work.

In fact a friend of mine worked at a big and creative computer company and was talking about a manager that was not "real Manager" material, but was good to work for because the guy did everything to help his employees produce their best. My friend thought of him as too much of a servant rather than a visionary leader. The more I thought about the guy the more I thought that he might really be a great manager- he solved all the problems and beauracratic hassles so people could do their job!

Poobah, I just thought, since your on the other side of town, and seem to be or have been in the same Bis, your about my age too, maybe even the same megacorp, we may actually have met before???
Athough I'm still megacorping it, I'm lookin to get out!!! And what better place or boss to have??? I don't know much about the rest of the Pass Labs group but all I here is good. Totally the opposite of the megacorp say one thing do something else behaviour:smash: :smash: :smash:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi poobah,
Same thing when a guy comes in your shop in tears 'cause his pride and joy quit working and you send him home a day later with a $40 repair.
There is magic in that. Just treating someone fairly is all it takes.

I was normally the one sweeping the floors and shovelling snow. Chief cook and bottle washer. ;)

-Chris

Yes, to of all you...

You can beat the hell out of an employee as long as they know you're beating the rest of world harder on their behalf. Little things... like a decent chair or letting them slide out early once in awhile go along way.

I used to have hump-day dinner at my place every other week for my people... usually about 15 people or so. Cost me a couple hundred each time... but everyone would get stuffed and wrecked... all the bad blood got spilled there and not at work. Gave us a real tight team plus I learned alot about cooking. NOTE: Thursday was "meeting day".

flq,

Send me a PM... I'll reveal Megacorp's identity.

It's not as hard to leave as you may think. You have to get all your computer's at home loaded up. Set up a good lab (ebay). Line up some jobs... and make sure you have a year's worth of bacon and mortgage in the bank.

Then... get your butt fired instead of quitting... I was lucky... I had a one year severance pay-out. I'm not making as much money... but I actually have more to spend... going to work is expensive.

I need a PHP5 and MySQL wizard right now... desperately.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi poobah,
It's not as hard to leave as you may think.
Agreed!

If you are any good, you can find work quickly. I had a job in three weeks and I left without planning or looking. Not the most intelligent thing I've done, but their were other factors. I had just completed my three month stay on as the contract specified and the new owner was making my life hell. It was time to leave.

Mind you, make sure you are truly hard done by! Working for yourself is much more stressful than working for someone else. Once you have employees, you worry about them too. So if you aren't the kind to take risk and responsibility - stay employed. If you like a challenge and can stick with it, it's the most rewarding thing you can do.

Poobah, little things do indeed go a long way!

-Chris

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
boyz and girlz
competition is closed
Choky started packing all his twinkles (270 L boxes and smaller ones,EMT,Lenco and Garrard TTs ,collection of old Philips CD spinners, collection of wide range spks,collection of analog tuners , more than 2000 worthless toobz, all horns and compression drivers etc......... around 500 Kilos of xformers,dozens of dozens toob bases, several meters of LPs etcetcetc);
each cent for transport from Serbia to Gold Coast will be payed by Papa himself......

boyz and girlz from Pass labs decided that is cheaper that they pay me same amount each month as I can earn in my country ,and for favor they give me their old warehouse; Lab will be using new one ,10 times bigger ,just because after ZM's arriving on this part of world,nothing will be ever the same.....:devilr: :clown: :clown:
besides-I dunno Engrish well,so they can curse new tech something easier than any born Engrish speaker

life is fun,but it's also work,primary;
I prefer work,but I also like when I can do it with fun ; as one man band guy, I enjoy that sort of work almost every day,even if I can't earn big money

why I have impression that NP somewhere in the past chooses between various paths,and maybe decided to follow some of not most profitable ones.......

off course-don't take me seriously - not for one word-as usual........ ;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey Zen Mod,
The link shows me that the people who write our service manuals have a day job too! :D

Fred Nachbaur doesn't look like he is here, do you know where he is based? Canada is a very small place and I can't find him anywhere.

About those tubes, tube bases,transformers and tuners .... better send them here so they don't get lost in that warehouse! :D

-Chris

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
anatech said:

Fred Nachbaur doesn't look like he is here, do you know where he is based? Canada is a very small place and I can't find him anywhere.

-Chris

don't worry-we both will find him ,eventually ;)

http://choky.on.neobee.net/links_and_Fred.html

Fred was,even with so much miles between us ,good friend of mine;
not just " buddy also interested in same electronic thingies".....

About those tubes, tube bases,transformers and tuners .... better send them here so they don't get lost in that warehouse!

when I move little closer,I'll call you to visit Planet10 with me;
at night
:devilr:
he is Master Scavenger ........

SY,

Funny you mention environmental engineering. My best buddy was one of those. One day he just decided to quit and move his Irish butt to Spain...and he did just that. Wrecked my life at Megacorp though, he had the humor that kept us all sane.

In between takeovers, one of my bosses was the former Under Secretary of Energy... another comedian. He referred to engineering management as "cat herding".

So I guess you're saying keep their dish full and the litterbox clean.

BTW, where's the picture of your cat... Adolph?

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.