High Pay, No Work, All Glory

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Don't forget to specifiy " a willingness to work with other people, see alternate points of thought, capacity to give other people the floor at times, and to actually listen to something when you are actually told, to have the personal incentive to do correct things with other people's concerns in mind, and try not to be insane in some hidden way that only becomes clear after a few years of association."

To me, that's the kind of 'extra bits' I minimally require in a person I'd hire.

As for the description of the bermuda shorts, etc. I have that job already. :p. 'cept my paycheck ain't that big. bummer.

All that describes a "peace, love, and hairpie" environment where employees are welcomed to work stoned or hungover; everyone's view is just sucked up as another piece of the great puzzle of life. I've had to fire engineers because they talked in front of people about their Chi or their Chakra... I didn't want to hire them in the first place.

Useless... and what is this about insane... are you, you kidding?

I am sure Nelson just wants to hire someone to run the cable burn-in machine and draw the little arrows on the wire... no brains required... just a lot of feelings.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I hope you are not serious poobah. All it says to me, is that I'd sure as hell never work for you and I'd sure as hell never allow anyone like you loose in my company. Sounds like you are more aquainted with brute force and ignorance than anything else. If you wern't speaking to me, I humbly apologize. Seriously. If you were, screw you. Seriously.

Your comments, more than anything else, illustrate the source of problems in the world.

And I'll add I'm very unhappy to say that, Cuz I like you, poobah.

..In the lost and found section

Wanted: Greencard & job at Pass'
Offered: Willingness to work late if needs be. :)

Do people actually get paid in Club Pass, or do people work there for the credit on the resume? :D

Sounds like the dreem job for most engineers in this forum -including the nutty QA guys with stickers on the wall, which say they don't suffer from insanity, but enjoy every minute of it.
:)

Jennice :)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
grataku said:
What a bunch of morons! I remember the numerous treads commenting, requesting, even begging about the possibility of getting a job at PassLabs and when that opportunity actually opens it gets turned into this circus. Congrats folks!

isn't it always like that?
take a breath and look around,in almost all topics.....
main problem is when part of ppl involved in thread want to be serious,and part don't want that ,and part is included God knows why......
anyway-count on that that Papa counted on numerous times proved nature of ....us.

I'm sure that his sieve will be effective enough,no matter how big cloud of comments and opinions here will be....
chill ....... ;)

grataku said:
What a bunch of morons! I remember the numerous treads commenting, requesting, even begging about the possibility of getting a job at PassLabs and when that opportunity actually opens it gets turned into this circus. Congrats folks!

I'm sure that anyone capable and interested in the job, both logistically and intellectually, have emailed Nelson a resume as he had asked.IMHO that's the business end if it. In the meantime, for those that it's not a possibility...will dream. The unobtainable carrot has been hung. Do I laugh or cry? I choose to laugh.

Thanks,
a moron:)

Good point Marino!

flq,

Don't worry... you're safe. I work for 3 small companies right now designing gizmos and putting them on their shelves. I don't work for Megacorp anymore... don't suppose I ever will again.

KBK,

Just poking some fun dude. Seriously, I had to deal with many whackos... I started out with an open mind. Experience taught me otherwise. Whackos embrace ambiguity... they roll around in it all day and wind up wearing the smelliest parts on their sleeve... not the best problem solvers. HR actually gave me some meditating whacko, despite my pleadings, with a MSEE degree that couldn't design a voltage divider... DEAD SERIOUS.

So, I devised an "entrance exam"; about 30 problems taken from undergrad texts... nothing too scary or obscure. HR said it would be illegal to use it.

Most of the employees that survived me actually like me a bit. Despite the Japanese, I wouldn't let them work past 8 or come in on weekends. I listened to their brilliant ideas, when they were brilliant, made sure that they got the credit AND the money. I always brought a Dilbert book to meetings with tabbed pages that I could quote from in a hurry.

I am not a theory X or theory Y guy. But, this whole pussyfication thing of the work environment is a detriment to our economies and societies. From the frivelous sexual harrasment garbage to the obstacles in firing someone... things have gotten well out of hand. We actually had a guy, that was harrassing... um... other guys. That was tricky.

Why do you think so many people are hired now as "contractors" or through temp services? Money?.... NO... it usually costs more. But, you can lose the flakes in a heartbeat... no questions asked.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
All I have to say is I'd love that job. QC work is boring as heck, but chasing down those funny issues, building prototypes (or helping) and some design work would be wonderful. An absolute joy!

Sometimes an employer only wishes for a guy to actually show up and not drool too much on their work. If they can actually understand the stuff, you hit the jackpot. I've fired more techs in my life ...... :(

Poobah,
I don't think you could call Pass Labs megacorp.

Want to hear about an extremely boring job? Calibration Technician. Even the pay sucked.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Poobah,
What I miss most about megacorp is all the free office supplies.
The benefits (package).

That's the only thing that kept me at the lab, even though working there was giving me headaches (mostly one person). Everyone quit except that one person. Lab manager and assistant lab manager too! Two shippers! I was the second last to leave.

They eventually closed the lab. Too bad really.

I like creative atmospheres in particular.

-Chris

Megacorp.

I work for the company that just bought XX&X. Need I say more

ARGGGGGGHHHHHH!

Plenty of office supplies and virtually no creativity. In fact, I am beginning to think that androids were perfected a couple of years ago, and implemented here.

......there goes one now:xeye:

geez, whatever happened to the congenial workplace and people actually liking what they did and giving an honest day's work and knowing how to behave?

oh, sorry,..it never existed...:). Besides, I always thought it was the whackos that got to keep their jobs and good people fired. perhaps there is a bit of justice where Poobah works.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have to say guys, those places still exist. You'd be fun to work with too poobah. Just have to have one gag up on you!

The problem with megacorp is that the university trained business management guys don't know a thing about intangibles, nor can they "see down the road".

It's interesting too, after running my own business, looking at the incredible amount of wasted time and effort these guys put everyone through. They should only advise but not actually make decisions. Anyway, a business outlook helps most day to day activities. Just a facet of common sense.

Keeping yourself busy makes the day go by faster, and you feel a sense of accomplishment when you are done. I think most of us here would tend to feel that way.

-Chris

You know circuits, chassis, products, manuals... all that stuff is fun, but it's paper, paper, paper!

After 25 years of engineering, I derive real joy just pushing the broom around for the gal that assembles and QC's in my shop. Putting the label on, wiping off the smudges, and putting the gizmo in the carton is good thing too.

Same thing when a guy comes in your shop in tears 'cause his pride and joy quit working and you send him home a day later with a $40 repair.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.