Harvey Builder's Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is your experience of the listening?

Are you following any of the speaker mods for the FE127e?

The drivers I have were Dave's (P10) personal drivers, stolen - ah, removed - from his personal Fonkens. So they had already had the full treatment when I got them.

Listening: work has been crazy for me lately, and last night it had been over a week since I'd played any music. So I put on the Charlie Haden/Pat Metheny CD beyond the Missouri Sky - and immediately remembered why I loved these speakers. Now, it could be argued that the speakers are at their best with small-group music, and love to display their speed and clarity with instruments like guitar or bass, and I think this may be true to some extent. But these same qualities make them pretty decent on things like Mingus Big Band, Liberation Music Orchestra, or Dire Straits.

Chrisb pointed out that my remarks about the quantity of bass they put out should be qualified by noting that they are in a very large room (about 9000 ft^3/250m^3); so when I say they lack ultimate slam, keep that in mind. The bass they do produce is both tuneful and well-balanced, so I can live with this. In short, I can't imagine anyone finding them less than excellent for the money, and for anyone with a room of reasonable size they could be the perfect solution.

Mind you, given the size of my room I have been following the Fonkenwoof developments and wondering how the 127s might fare in a Brynn or Gabriel with doubled CSS7s integrated into the box; but that's as much intellectual curiousity as anything. Something like the drawing, perhaps...

Regards.

Aengus

Attachments

• gabriel plus sdx7.gif
    gabriel plus sdx7.gif
    17.1 KB · Views: 257
I really like the cutouts!
What there isn't can't vibrate.

Definitely agree. The story with my particular build is a bit more complicated, though: the curves at the inner two vertices of the cutouts are there for aesthetic reasons, and required creating smaller voids that I filled with expanding foam (see photo). Seems to have worked - I can't detect any vibration even at high levels.

And speaking of high levels, I meant to say in the previous post that these will play louder than I like to listen with no apparent strain; but some of you may like to listen louder than I do (I'm an old fart).

Regards.

Aengus

Attachments

• cutouts.gif
    cutouts.gif
    55.8 KB · Views: 286
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.