Group Order: Saten Aluminum Knobs from India

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Peter, I think we have determined that the ones pictured don't work anyway because of the hole size.

I think you have come to a consensus in your other (chassis ) thread, which eventually is where your knobs should be discussed if we decide to have 2 orders. The consensus I see is like the older ML knobs but in a 1.25" diameter. I think it might be nice to have them a bit longer than the ones you showed. It looks like the newer ones are a bit longer and I think in that regard they look better. In either case the classe knobs are probably too long, I agree.

Why don't you get an exact price for a hundred of just this knob and report back pleeeese?:cannotbe: :cannotbe:

Mark

To the person(s) being able to buy and ship the (Indian) Uncle Arthur anodized knobs

tcpip said:

And 38mm (1.5") knobs are available off the shelf here for less than a dollar each. I can send you samples. Unfortunately, their shaft diameters are all 6mm. The pots and rotary switches available here are all either 1/8" (3.18mm), or 4mm, or 6mm. Nothing more than 6mm here.

Tarun

Ok, I have no clue any more of who is doign what but nevertheless, I would like to get some knobs for 6mm shafts AND 1/8" shafts......
1.5 " would ne a nice size FOR MY projects.

So please whomever this is, can you quote me your BEST price
for
4 knobs 38 mm (=approx 1.5" for shaft size 6mm)
AND
4 knobs ?? mm (for shaft size 1/8" = approx. 3.18 mm)

I pay Paypal (and will add 3pct extra for charges occuring at destination) out of my giving, caring hart!

(beware as a missionary in the USA I do not make a big income!!!)

It needs to be shipped to
Federal Way, WA 98003-6612 USA
one little detail
shipper's info MUST contain the following

Shipper
Jean-Pierre Scherer C/O ( and here you fill in the shipper's name such as Asho, Vishnu, Parkeel or any ones, floowed by the shipper's address etc etc...

Make me an offer as requested, I suppose that for of the shelve units, it should not take too long.

Thank You

Maybe this way we can do smooth business and

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dear Mr Uvodee,

I think you aren't getting a response because you continue to assume that Mr. TCPIP is in business try to sell you knobs, and make a profit. I doubt very much if he has time to send individual orders to people here. He was trying to coordinate a group buy and act as an intermediary between the maker and us.

Perhaps I am wrong and if so I hope the deal works out...

:D :D Mark

I hope so too!

Variac said:
because you continue to assume that Mr. TCPIP is in business try to sell you knobs, and make a profit. I doubt very much if he has time to send individual orders to people here. He was trying to coordinate a group buy and act as an intermediary between the maker and us.
Perhaps I am wrong and if so I hope the deal works out...
:D :D Mark

I assume he is NOT making any profit and the proof is in the pudding...
I even offer him extra money due to the paypal charges and I do not want him to carry these charges as a sole person doing me a favor BECAUSE I assume he is not making any money!.
I just think that I would like the off the shelf knobs as stated .
If he asks me a favor to do something for him and I can do it out of Washington state, I will do so likewise... without making a profit!

I would like the knobs that is all I am asking.... off the shelf no questions no ammendments no 30 page questionnaire etc....

J-P

Re: To the person(s) being able to buy and ship the (Indian) Uncle Arthur anodized kn

uvodee said:
So please whomever this is, can you quote me your BEST price
for
4 knobs 38 mm (=approx 1.5" for shaft size 6mm)
AND
4 knobs ?? mm (for shaft size 1/8" = approx. 3.18 mm)
I presume this message was addressed to me. Your requirement is confusing. At the quantities you want, I can only arrange to send you whatever's available ex-stock. Therefore, I can certainly send you four knobs of the type pictured in this thread or I can pick up inexpensive off-the-shelf Al knobs available in Mumbai and ship them to you. All of them have 6mm shaft dias, as far as I've seen. The latter set is available in black and clear Al, and I don't think they look very good, but then looks is a matter of taste. However, I'd be hesitant to send you anything whose pictures you haven't seen. (These off-the-shelf knobs are not made by Mr.Valecha, incidentally.)

Under the circumstances, I am only comfortable sending you the knobs whose pics I'd posted. If you want exactly those, please let me know. The price for those will be about USD 1.00 each, and shipping will probably be another USD 12-15, for a set of four to six knobs. (The shipping cost per knob goes up rapidly if the quantity is this small.)

Please let me know whether you are interested.

Re: Re: To the person(s) being able to buy and ship the (Indian) Uncle Arthur anodize

tcpip said:

Under the circumstances, I am only comfortable sending you the knobs whose pics I'd posted. If you want exactly those, please let me know. The price for those will be about USD 1.00 each, and shipping will probably be another USD 12-15, for a set of four to six knobs. (The shipping cost per knob goes up rapidly if the quantity is this small.)

Please let me know whether you are interested.

I AM VERY INTERESTED, SHIPPING SEEMS TO BE A VOLATILE COST BECAUSE SOMEONE MENTIONNED EARLIER THAT 1 KG WOULD BE ABOUT us$14 AND i CANNOT IMAGINE 8 ALU KNOBS WOULD EACH WEIGH 125 GRAMS (ALMOST 4.5 OZ)

BUT i WOULD LIKE THE KNOBS AS DESCRIBED AS FOLLOWS

Post #2

The knobs are made of what Uncle Harry calls "S1" grade aluminium, which takes anodising well, he says. They have a base diameter of 25mm, a top diameter of 22mm, and a height of 30mm. Their shaft diameter is 6mm. Each knob has one screw to grip the pot shaft. The knobs have been finished in what Uncle Harry calls "fine grain finish". This finish basically makes it take on a matte finish, and lose the metallic shine some of the Japanese manufacturers like Denon seem to be so fond of.

I would like 6 or 8 of these.
I already found a solution to get the knobs hold on to 1/8 shafts
( you gave me the trick in your answer in the other thread, thanks!)

You also mention the marked and unmarked ones. I prefer UNMARKED but will settle for marked if unmarked are NOT available.
Please let me know the total amount.

You are a very nice man, but !!!!! Do not, please do not worry about MY decisions. I do not intend to sue nor do I condone such philosophy. I insure myself or I blame myself.

Just use regular mail, I do not care about time etc..... I have so much time (remember I am a missionary) I can wait and wait and wait, much different from average Americans who want everything faster than fast. the only thing I don't like is "hesitating".
Also I am a bit affraid of parcelpost co's such as UPS, Fedex and DHL. I have had packages test positive for things that I did not order. And that is completely out of bounds here!

Thank You for your kind cooperation.
Jean-Pierre

" Melly Klistmas Mistel Lawlens"

Re: Re: Re: To the person(s) being able to buy and ship the (Indian) Uncle Arthur ano

uvodee said:
I AM VERY INTERESTED, SHIPPING SEEMS TO BE A VOLATILE COST BECAUSE SOMEONE MENTIONNED EARLIER THAT 1 KG WOULD BE ABOUT us$14 AND i CANNOT IMAGINE 8 ALU KNOBS WOULD EACH WEIGH 125 GRAMS (ALMOST 4.5 OZ)
See shipping rates and other details here. This post was posted eight days ago, but somehow you and many others missed it. From this post, you can clearly see what I consider the weight per knob. Anyone who has said that eight knobs weight one kilo is grossly misinformed.

BUT i WOULD LIKE THE KNOBS AS DESCRIBED AS FOLLOWS
Got it. You want the ex-stock knobs as pictured. I think Uncle Harry's inventory will have eight or ten more. I will get them for you. I'll also ask him to throw in his inexpensive plastic washers for whatever they're worth; use them or discard them as you see fit.

I can't accept Paypal... can't be bothered to set up an account with them. I'll ask you to send me something later, maybe, as barter. Today, I can afford to pay for eight knobs without going broke. (I buy them at Rs.40 per knob. A bottle of beer at a restaurant in Bombay costs me Rs.100 or so.)

You also mention the marked and unmarked ones. I prefer UNMARKED but will settle for marked if unmarked are NOT available.
Noted.

You are a very nice man....
Thanks. Reciprocated. :)

Just use regular mail, I do not care about time etc.....
I once sent some heatsinks to Randy Slone. They never reached. I suspect the Indian Posts. I'll try to send your knobs through some friend, let's see. Since you've given me the luxury of time, I'll try to find an inexpensive and reliable option, but will not send them by ordinary air mail unless you absolutely insist.

" Melly Klistmas Mistel Lawlens"
If you say so...

Re: Re: Re: Re: To the person(s) being able to buy and ship the (Indian) Uncle Arthur

tcpip said:

Got it. You want the ex-stock knobs as pictured. I think Uncle Harry's inventory will have eight or ten more. I will get them for you. I'll also ask him to throw in his inexpensive plastic washers for whatever they're worth; use them or discard them as you see fit.
I'll ask you to send me something later, maybe, as barter. Today, I can afford to pay for eight knobs without going broke. (I buy them at Rs.40 per knob. A bottle of beer at a restaurant in Bombay costs me Rs.100 or so.)
I'll try to find an inexpensive and reliable option, but will not send them by ordinary air mail unless you absolutely insist.

Seems that we are in business....
Thanks for the washers.
I do not want you to go broke, certainly not on me!
And don't drink any beer! Allthough I agree that it is safer than water!
I can send you whatever you can think of in return!
This is fun, seems that heaven just came a bit closer:)

J-P

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Maybe you shouldn't start a new thread. We are about to decide here. If Peter decides to use a local supplier, he will start posting on the Gainclone Chassis thread again. If he ends up with the Indian knobs, then we will need to continue discussing here.

I am waiting for Peter to answer two questions, which I 'm sure he is working on:

1. What is the price for the knob design I claim is the winner(ML clone, 1.25" - maybe a bit taller.

2. How much time will it be before he needs the knobs to send out his kits?

If these 2 questions are answered, we can move ahead. Between this page and the other (India) knobs and parts page,
we have a pretty good idea what the Indian knobs will cost. We also know that the Indian knobs can match any design that Peter showed in his "Parade O' Knobs"

I think a third thread will make things even more difficult.
This one is named "Satin Knobs from India, and thats what we will continue to discuss!!!

:D :D :D

Variac said:
I am waiting for Peter to answer two questions, which I 'm sure he is working on:
Actually, thanks to Jean-Pierre, I am hoping that one sample may reach Peter soon, if George says he'll be willing to carry the knobs. The courier charges to the US will probably be more than the cost of the knobs. So, I'm hoping I'll get away by just sending them to B'lore, and George can carry the stuff to the US. If that happens, then I'll ask Jean-Pierre to post one sample to Peter Daniel, so that he can determine finish quality etc. I am sure Peter will want to see a sample before he decides to do business with an unknown manufacturer from so far away.

In the meantime, if Peter can send one sample ML-type knob to Mr.Valecha (Uncle Harry) here, that'll be very useful to let him know what kind of finish and shape is expected.

tcpip said:
So, I'm hoping I'll get away by just sending them to B'lore, and George can carry the stuff to the US. If that happens, then I'll ask Jean-Pierre to post one sample to Peter Daniel, so that he can determine finish quality etc.

That is exactly the way I see this thing evolving.
As a matter of fact, I had already informed Peter I was going to send a sample to him as soon as i get these knobs in.

J-P

Greatly appreciated

Variac said:
Jean Pierre:www.percyaudio.com has the Noble pot for 19.95. Just some ideas.... Mark

ideas but .....

this was the remark/question "I need a 50K stepped volume control similar to what I have on my exisiting preamp"

Well, I checked Percy's site and have the (today's) printed catalog in front of me but..... no stepped attenuator from Noble for $19.95. If that was the case, I would order a box!!!!! ;)

He has and I quote ' NOBLE Potentiometer: excellent low cost potentiometers, 27 mm square x 30 mm deep black metal case, 8mm threaded bushing mount, 6 mm solid round aluminum shaft, not detented, stereo, values 10K, 25K, 50K, 100K, 250K, ....US$ 19.95 (box of 60 US$14.95 each)

As far as I can see, the cheapest stepped pot costs us$169.. for mono and $249 for stereo (TKD ofcourse!) :bigeyes:

He has also Shallco and Elma Kits .

For Shallco example complete dual mono ladder L-Pad attenuator KIT with two 45 position switches and 176 Holco resistors, priced at US$ 273.00 and for mono I think it is us$136.50.
Without the resistors it is us$95.00 each

The Elma's are a bit cheaper. Price is us$155.50 BUT the atenuator is 24 steps for a dual mono L-Pad kit and 92 Holco H4 resistors.

I think that is a fair resume from what the Percy catalog tells me.

Jean-Pierre

If we are talking about regular good quality pots, I could go to Frys in Renton (only 20 miles away and I pass it on a regular basis) and pick up Alp pots from the hooks for less than 20$ but they only have blue colored type!

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OK I'm pretty sure George means detented pots, Those are regular pots with a stepped feel not stepped attenuators. I think he knows that you can't get stepped attenuators for around $25 The quote from Michael Percy says the pots I mentioned aren't detented so I guess they aren't the ones. I'll check the others. Maybe George can speak up.

Some pot brands and models are of course more desireable than others- I'll keep looking around

Edit:

He has Alps "black Beauty" 50K for $35
In the past these were some of the most desireable soundwise. They are rare because they are no longer made. M. Percy says some are detented some are not. I assume you could request a detented one. It's more than Goerge wanted to pay by a bit though.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hey Paul Hilgeman!!!!!

A sudden big interest in Satin knobs from India in the Gainclone chassis camp!

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=370964#post370964

There look to be plenty of people interested, we know how to contact Uncle Harry and get them shipped here. We know he is up to the job. Tarun (tcPip) has all the ordering info, and I suspect would be wiling to coordinate on that end. There is no doubt that the price will be a good deal, although the ML knob needs lots of machining

All we need to come up with is what design, and get a quote.
Peter seems to prefer the old Mark Levinson design. I think we came up with a diameter of about 32mm (1 1/4") Peter has offered in the past to measure his knob carefully so we can get
something quite similar.

A simpler cylindrical knob of about the same size with an indcator slot is another option.

All that's lacking is your good leadership to get this group buy going!!! Like setting up a Wiki page to guage interest?

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.