Group Order: Saten Aluminum Knobs from India

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This will certainly become a quotable thread when people want to
point out what idiots we are. A discussion about knobs becomes
an emotional issue. :rolleyes:

Perhaps the price is too high to be worth your time, but there is an underlying implication that someone is profiting unreasonably
from this. Let's not be know-it-alls on every subject and just accept this, and not tell others that they don't know what the situation is in their own country. QUALITY stuff isn't always cheap in countries with cheap labor. Distribution, raw materials, industrial processes, transportation are often expensive and inefficient.There is often a lack of trained people who can do the work.

If I can have a few knobs made by going to a machine shop or pay somewhat less to order an existing knob and have them delivered to me, I'll go with the delivered product.

MAgura, you have good shop connections, not all of us do.
Clearly you should have your own knobs made - no problem just do it. This is a group buy- not an export business.

Variac said:

MAgura, you have good shop connections, not all of us do.
Clearly you should have your own knobs made - no problem just do it. This is a group buy- not an export business.

I figured its a group buy a while ago ;)

I frequently make a set of knobs, but i usually dont do stuff like that for buisness, its more to get a set of knobs that fits an exact purpose.

What im getting at is that if people want knobs, do a "heads up" before you order something from a country thats on the "black list" customs vise.

If you guys could sort out how many you want, id be happy to help you out on no profit basis. I dont bother making them, but as Variac pointed out, im well travelled in machine shop matters.
Im 100% sure you can have them made in Denamark and avoid the customs pretty much, plus lower shipping to both europe and the states, and end up with a better price and quality.

Magura:)

Let's get serious. Which style do you like the most?

As I mentioned before, I could produce them pretty cheap and we might even be able to ship those knobs to India and still be competetive;)

Attachments

• nb.jpg
    nb.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 324
Magura said:
If you guys could sort out how many you want, id be happy to help you out on no profit basis. I dont bother making them, but as Variac pointed out, im well travelled in machine shop matters.
Im 100% sure you can have them made in Denamark and avoid the customs pretty much, plus lower shipping to both europe and the states, and end up with a better price and quality.

For some reason, it is just not sinking in: leave this group buy alone. You are taking a positive thing, your offer to run a group buy, and making it a negative thing by trying to sabotage this group buy. Take a look at the wiki page: it seems that more than one group buy is possible :)

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hey Peter, can we order a custom shape?

how about a knob like the Classe ,(3rd from left) but flattened on both sides
like the ML that are your favorites. (6th from right?) The flat center part would be wider than your favorites. It would have more grip than a round knob so it will work with switched attenuators, yet has a more round overall shape so it works as a round knob also

Again , in order to work with the switches, I think about 1.25" dia.
would be perfect. I agree that the Classse are a little too long
- they shouldn't stick out as much.

If you can do custom I can whip up a sketch.

It would be quite nice to have a DIYA knob

Hey!! DIYA is a good name for the amp?

Peter Daniel said:
As I mentioned before, I could produce them pretty cheap and we might even be able to ship those knobs to India and still be competetive;)
Very nice looking knobs. As always, your sense of aesthetics is top class. :) I also looked at the chassis group buy thread, and saw all those pictures of knobs. You can write an encyclopaedia on just knobs. :)

I was curious... will you be making them yourself or will you be getting them made at a professional workshop? I'm basically curious to know whether professional workmen will need to be paid for their effort and whether charges for the use of machines will need to be paid. Just curious. :)

And also, what would be the price at which you could sell, say, 25mm dia clear Al anodised knobs, if the total order size was, say, a hundred?

Variac said:
Hey Peter, can we order a custom shape?

Again , in order to work with the switches, I think about 1.25" dia.
would be perfect. I agree that the Classse are a little too long
- they shouldn't stick out as much.

If you can do custom I can whip up a sketch.

It will be a custom knob and any shape/size is possible

tcpip said:

And also, what would be the price at which you could sell, say, 25mm dia clear Al anodised knobs, if the total order size was, say, a hundred?

I made some preliminary taking and the price is approx $12-15, depending on quantity, it may be less than that.

I'm very tempted to order2 types of knobs, one classe , one ML style (with at least 40 pcs of each). As to the big, 2" knobs, I really like this one. It is from ML380 preamp and currently, there is already demand for at least 15 pcs of those, as people re building that preamp (from the boards purchased over the internet).

Attachments

• knob.jpg
    knob.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 186
If someone knows how to set up a Wiki page, we could make it for 3 styles of knobs:

2" ML style
1"Classe style
1"ML

All those knobs will be slightly different, so there shouldn't be any copyright infringement issues involved; two of them are out of production anyway. Also, one of the 1" knobs could be made slightly bigger (maybe 1.25").

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Early estimate of Indian knobs:

I can give you some estimates though. This will be before shipping them out once they arrive.Small should be less than or equal to $5.00 each. Large should be less than or equal to $12.00 each.

Not to beat a dead horse, but these original prices for the Indian knobs are a hell of a lot cheaper than Peter's source.
I think Peter's COULD end up being the best choice because of a particular design or convenience, but $12 for a 1 inch knob is not cheaper than $12 2" knob or $5 1 inch knob

Peter was not strident about his being the best choice, but the implication by some was that any local US company could whip out premium knobs for $5, or huge ones for about $15

Now that prices have to be actually being closer to nailed down, I think the issue is more clear.

As I said, maybe the designs Peter can get are preferable or
so much less hassle to be worth it, but maybe the Indian supplier can make anything we want also. I admit that I am a bit biased in favor of the Indian knobs just because they would be unique, and it would be kind of cool to have a connection to the Indian DIY community, but it looks like there isn't a downside to them as they are also a LOT cheaper

Am I missing something?

:confused: :D :confused: :D

The material cost involved here is not an issue at all. It is the machining, and small knob isn't any easier to make than a big one (if not harder), same for finishing.

You can't beat $5 Indian knobs, but then again, they can't compare with more intricate designs. If somebody is for 2 knobs only, a bit of a premium paid for better appearance shouldn't be an issue. My price was a rough estimate, but I don't expect to get much lower than $10 per knob (and $10 per knob is certainly a possibility).

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I don't think we know if they can compare with the more intricate knobs. It appears that the Indian supplier can make anything. Can he machine flats on the knob? we should ask.
I have looked at the pictures, and I don't see that their appearance is inferior.
Materials or not, do you really think a 2" knob will also be $12 from your supplier?

In Peter's case, it might be just too much of a complicating factor
for him to have to wait on knobs which he has no control over, which might keep him from getting his enclosures sent out.

I think a lot of us aren't getting his enclosures, so there are reallly 2 groups here...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.