• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Group order of non-inverted LM3875 pc boards? Anyone interested?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The PSRR of the LM3875 is ~100-120db at 50Hz, at 100Khz it has dropped to ~30db. Spikes and other noice on the mains are mainly composed of Highfrequencies and are not supressed enough.

One way to get rid of that. Is to use a mainsfilter. If the noice source is indentifiable you might want to mount the filter there rather than on the gainclone, (since its smal Psu caps it´s also sensitive against high impedances on the mains.)

/ Micke

There are many of us who have not built a GC, or any device beyond a crossover, and don't have a parts box filled with many of the bits and parts we'll need to even start, let alone complete this project.

Does anyone have a list of the additional parts we should be shopping for, before the "instruction manual" becomes available? I understand many choices might be personal preferences, but a list of needed parts, with some recommendations would be very helpful.
Might this be a topic for a new thread? The GONG list for complete novices?

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
x. onasis said:
There are many of us who have not built a GC, or any device beyond a crossover, and don't have a parts box filled with many of the bits and parts we'll need to even start, let alone complete this project.

Does anyone have a list of the additional parts we should be shopping for, before the "instruction manual" becomes available? I understand many choices might be personal preferences, but a list of needed parts, with some recommendations would be very helpful.
Might this be a topic for a new thread? The GONG list for complete novices?

Don't worry too much about this. I will have a complete instruction manual, and guide. I spent a few hours today putting together an amplifier with the kit, taking lots of pictures during the process. The manual will be available soon, and I will continue to update it as new questions come in. I will be providing it in PDF format, as I don't want to mail out a 10 page document to everyone, wasting paper and increasing shipping costs.

If you do find that there are issues not discussed in the manual, you can let me know and I will update the manual, as I am sure that others will need the same issues addressed.

Stay tuned for the manual soon.

(I took 139 pictures so far today of the build, taking each shot a few times with different exposure settings)

I attached a picture of the current amplifier build process. It is mostly done. I had the chassis done from my last gainclone, which I gutted, and managed to get the boards stuffed and the wiring done in about 3 hours, while taking lots of pictures. I also taught my fiance how to solder during this time, and she stuffed 4 channels today, and is working on a power supply board now.

Good news for those who just ordered PCB sets, as I will include a set of standard resistors to go along with each pcb set (4 x 22.1k compact metal film, 2 x 221 ohm compact metal and 2 x 680 ohm carbon film) See a picture here of the resistors that will be included with the pcb sets:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=347814#post347814

--
Brian

Attachments

• build.jpg
    build.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 922
Joined 2002
Here is a closeup of how the board is wired up.

On the previous picture, ignore the extra wires coming out of the transformer, as they were originally there for a fully integrated solution with a digital volume control, but I scaled this down to a simple passive solution, and they are un-used windings.

--
Brian

Attachments

• build-closeup.jpg
    build-closeup.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,125
my first audio project

Brian says that I should post pictures of the boards that I soldered today. I have no clue what they do but they look cool. Brian is really cheap, he gave me the five cent components instead of the expensive ones. You think I would be getting better stuff since I am filling out all his envelopes for him for the group order! Maybe I should have taken circuits in college.

-meredith

Attachments

• mere.jpg
    mere.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,089
Re: my first audio project

MereGT said:
Brian says that I should post pictures of the boards that I soldered today. I have no clue what they do but they look cool. Brian is really cheap, he gave me the five cent components instead of the expensive ones. You think I would be getting better stuff since I am filling out all his envelopes for him for the group order! Maybe I should have taken circuits in college.

-meredith

Looks like a very nice job Meredith. Now you can build a set of speakers to go along with them ;). Maybe Brian will get you hooked, too, so you can work on projects together. We'll turn you into an audio junkie yet. :D

-Logan

Joined 2002
S.C said:
Do you have any sources except Mouser->Alpha Wire.... They are expensive..... 300ft = $79.xx:bigeyes:

The stuff that I used today was Carol stranded 18ga cable, with the thicker insulation. It came from Digikey, and costs a little over $15 for 100ft.

Here is the digikey catalog page, the secont table down, C2103......
http://dkc3.digikey.com/pdf/T041/1032.pdf

I got it from the school, as I only needed a few feet.

ApexJr sells silver coated copper with teflon insulation for $0.13 a foot, in different colors. I ordered 20ft each of several different colors a while back:
http://www.apexjr.com/wire.html

--
Brian

Joined 2002
I finally got around to hooking up the amplifier with the new boards that I put together earlier today, and it works great, and sounds good. I will do some more listening tests tommorrow.

Everything works great, with no problems at all. This sure simplifies the building process for a gainclone.

Here is a picture of the working amp (same as earlier picture, but hooked up my cdpro2.

The part that I like most about this amp, is that there are few places to mess up. I am working on the instruction manual now, to make it super clear on how to put this thing together, even for the beginner.

(stuff on the floor, since table is being actively used for part of the kitting and packaging process)

--
Brian

Attachments

• build2.jpg
    build2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 913
You think I would be getting better stuff since I am filling out all his envelopes for him for the group order!

You are so right Meredith. Thank you very much for your help in realizing such an excellen kit!!!

And congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I hope you have a wonderful and unforgettable day! And afterwards as well! :) I mean the rest of your married life ofcourse.:)

Regards,
Bas

Bas Horneman said:

I mean the rest of your married life ofcourse.:)
Regards,
Bas

...of course ;) :devily:. I forgot to congratulate you and Brian on your wedding. I wish you both the best of luck and hope you have a happy life together. Oh well, I'm derailing the thread. Meredith, try not to get too mad about Brian's projects. After all, look how many innocent people would suffer. :angel:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.