• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Group order of non-inverted LM3875 pc boards? Anyone interested?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I want to buy one toroidal for my first gainclode, so that it will be there when the kits arrive.
250VA - 2x22V; magnetic screen + screen coil
What do you think, is it good? What about the voltage? Too high? Ok?
And one more question tho, do I need a soft start module?

For those of you speaking german you may read about the toroidal here:
http://www.schuro.de/preisl-v-rkt-ms-sw.htm
(it is the V-RKT-MS-SW 225.22) :hot:

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
roibm said:
Hi guys,

I want to buy one toroidal for my first gainclode, so that it will be there when the kits arrive.
What do you think, is it good? What about the voltage? Too high? Ok?
And one more question tho, do I need a soft start module?

For those of you speaking german you may read about the toroidal here:
http://www.schuro.de/preisl-v-rkt-ms-sw.htm
(it is the V-RKT-MS-SW 225.22) :hot:

Sounds good to me. That is the same voltage that Peter is using for his. I am using 2x24vac for mine currently ant it works great into 4 ohms. As for soft start, I don't think that you need it, as it is not a huge supply, and the chip has circuitry for turn-on to avoid dc offset on the output.

Boards should be here this evening. I will try to post pictures tonight. I have a significant amount of the kits put together to get mailed out when the boards get here.

--
Brian

I also have a question on transformers I have a ILP toroidial (formly Piltron) I bought many years ago surplus.It's rated at 24Volts x 2 at 400Watts I'm not sure exact conversion but I believe it works out to about 192Va will this be under powered if so what effect will it have on sound weak Bass ":(

roibm,
roibm wrote
[...]
I've been using V-RKT-MS-SW 300.25 for ~3 months now with a 3875 (22.1K/680R/22.1K configuration) with great success; speakers are 6 Ohm. I'm afraid I can't compare with other toroids, but it sounds excellent to me.

Brian is of course right about the soft start module; when playing with 'huge' capacity (10.000uF per rail) I got a loud turn-on thump. It vanished when I used 'proper' capacity. :)

I've been thinking about introducing varistors to get rid of the mains noise (spikes created by fridges, etc.). For some reason my GC seems to pick these up more easily than other amps. Experience anyone?

Best regards,

Oliver

Joined 2002
Here is a picture of boards. I will be testing them tommorrow (was feeling a bit ill today, stomach was bothering me, so I didn't have a chance to solder them together today). I will take pictures during the assembly process, and add them to my users manual that I am creating.

Looks like the group order isn't too far from being complete, as I have a large portion of the rest of the kit parts all bundled up.

I will put up more pictures tommorrow (of the power supply pcb also)

--
Brian

Attachments

• boards.jpg
    boards.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,080
Joined 2002
Cappy said:
Brian,

I notice you have the 1000 uF Nichicon and Black Gate next to the 1500 uF Panasonic.

If I wanted to try Muse or BG caps with the kit, would you recommend 1000 uF or 1500 uF?

The BG and Muse caps don't come in the 1500uF value.

As for cost of the caps (in single unit quantities):
Panasonic FC 1000uF 50v: $2.37
Panasonic FC 1500uF 50v: $2.75
Nichicon Muse 1000uF 50v: $2.15
Blackgate STD 1000uF 50v: $14.50

I think that the BG 4.7uF N cap in the power supply and the 1500uF seems to be the best combo, unless you really want to spend almost $60 on caps for 2 channels.

Peter said that the 1500uF Panasonic FC 50v would be good for the kit, so I choose this.

--
Brian

Joined 2002
As for a contest for the kits, I have decided that I will put up a project gallery for designs built with the kits. Anyone who submits a completed amplifier using the kits, will get a free pcb set, in return for submitting a few pictures and a build description. After a certain time frame, I will award a prize for the best looking design or designs (haven't decided if one, or multiple categories). One of the additional prizes for this will be a set (4) of the BG STD 1000uF caps, and maybe some Grayhill source selectors. I have some other stuff also.

The goal of the contest is to get people to finish their amplifiers. It is not to be a speed contest, as I will send out all submissions a free pcb set. The gallery will hopefully provide others who haven't finished their kit, inspiration and ideas to get it completed.

With regards to a chassis for this kit, Peter has a webpage up now for ordering a chassis. See his thread here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=347371#post347371

--
Brian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.