• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Group order of non-inverted LM3875 pc boards? Anyone interested?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OK, I checked my parts box and found two transformers.
They are each about 46 volts center tapped.
So, each leg is about 23 volts. Well, I could use one, and run one channel off each leg-perfect-right?

No, because each one is about 150 VA- only enough for one channel.

1. So I believe that just putting all the output leads from both in parallel to double the Voltamps is not recommended, right?
If I can , then I'm done!!

If I want a separate transformer for each channel I can use only one leg from each, halving the VA - doesn't work

2. If I get another set of bridges, can I combine the output of each leg of one transformer after the bridges?

Maybe it's easier for you clever fellows to just think, what would you do in this situation?

BrianGT said:
I also have a gainclone builder's contest which I have planned, and will announce the details of it, once the first batch of kits are shipped out. I am thinking about giving out some sort of prize for the first 20-25 people to finish a gainclone with my kit, with the goal of this contest to start a building craze.
Even though it would be more subjective - I'd rather see something more along the lines of a contest to see who could build the "best" kit, before some entry-submission deadline...
Rather than rewarding people for performing a rush-job on assembling their clones. ;)

It would even be more encouraging to us gainclone-newbies, who are not already familiar with the circuitry like the back of our hands.

Maybe the competition could focus on things like cosmetic creativity, build quality, neatness, etc.
It would be more fun to look at pictures of the winners, at any rate. :cool:

The best part about these kits, IMO, is that it takes some elements away that some of us aren't familiar with... the schematic, component selection, etc.
It's nice to be able to get something togther now without having to worry about these things - that I'll be able to use as a sort of reference standard for experimenting with these variables later, down the road.
I don't know if you were thinking of that value when you conceived these kits - but thanks, it's a big big reason I'm taking advantage myself! :cool:

But also, because it takes those elements away, it allows some of us to be able to be more cosmetically creative with our cases, wiring, without worrying about whether the circuitry is even fundamentally correct enough to be dedicating such detail to.
I trust that it is, so I'll have fun making a detailed "keeper" out of it... and I'm sure I'm not the only one. ;)

OK, I'm too wordy...
But is the contest going to be for speed, or quality? ;)

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
geolemon said:

Even though it would be more subjective - I'd rather see something more along the lines of a contest to see who could build the "best" kit, before some entry-submission deadline...
Rather than rewarding people for performing a rush-job on assembling their clones. ;)

It would even be more encouraging to us gainclone-newbies, who are not already familiar with the circuitry like the back of our hands.

Maybe the competition could focus on things like cosmetic creativity, build quality, neatness, etc.
It would be more fun to look at pictures of the winners, at any rate. :cool:

The best part about these kits, IMO, is that it takes some elements away that some of us aren't familiar with... the schematic, component selection, etc.
It's nice to be able to get something togther now without having to worry about these things - that I'll be able to use as a sort of reference standard for experimenting with these variables later, down the road.
I don't know if you were thinking of that value when you conceived these kits - but thanks, it's a big big reason I'm taking advantage myself! :cool:

But also, because it takes those elements away, it allows some of us to be able to be more cosmetically creative with our cases, wiring, without worrying about whether the circuitry is even fundamentally correct enough to be dedicating such detail to.
I trust that it is, so I'll have fun making a detailed "keeper" out of it... and I'm sure I'm not the only one. ;)

OK, I'm too wordy...
But is the contest going to be for speed, or quality? ;)

The reason that I was initially pushing for speed, is because if I decide on quality, a deadline needs to be declared, and it again becomes a contest on speed.

A compromise:

My current idea, is to put a gallery of finished projects on my website, and if you submit an entry for the gallery, using the kit, I will send you out a "prize". This might be better than an actual contest. This would also provide people who haven't finished yet, ideas and inspiration to finish their design. Does this sound like a better idea? There could be a "best build" prize declared monthly, which would be presented to the best looking unit. A possible prize could be a pcb set, which would in return encourage building another unit.

A gallery entry could just be a picture or two of the setup, and a description of it, detailing the person's building process. Here is a picture of my current setup. I have the cdpro2 unit taken apart, as I haven't make a new front for it to go with my new control board.

Anyone interested in board (or kit) for the cdpro2? I know that Nico currently offers one, but my kit would be easier for those living in the US. I am also considering open-sourcing this project, so that people can modify the firmware anyway that they want. It is written in C, and has a serial bootloader. (free one month trial is available for the c compiler from the company that makes it)

I have gotten a few more requests for kits, and I will try to start taking orders again soon, as soon as I get a substantial number of the existing orders shipped out.

--
Brian

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 639
BrianGT said:
My current idea, is to put a gallery of finished projects on my website, and if you submit an entry for the gallery, using the kit, I will send you out a "prize". I am currently considering sending out a free pcb set to anyone who submits an entry. This might be better than an actual contest. This would also provide people who haven't finished yet, ideas an inspiration to finish their design. Does this sound like a better idea?
I like that idea, personally!

And I like the idea of being able to get a free PCB to experiment with later, too! :cool:

Just curious - since you've gone through all the work of putting this kit and documentation together, if you might be offering this kit again in the future?
Or, maybe even just the PCB's and instructional documentation would be valuable, with a list of "recommended parts", and "suggested suppliers" (which would simply be the suppliers that you've contacted already)?

I ask, because I've got several friends who are curious about these things... and after I show them mine, they might be curious themselves... and again, I'd bet I'm not the only one with curious friends... could be a pyramid effect even! :D

Any chances?

Joined 2002
geolemon said:

I like that idea, personally!

And I like the idea of being able to get a free PCB to experiment with later, too! :cool:

Just curious - since you've gone through all the work of putting this kit and documentation together, if you might be offering this kit again in the future?
Or, maybe even just the PCB's and instructional documentation would be valuable, with a list of "recommended parts", and "suggested suppliers" (which would simply be the suppliers that you've contacted already)?

I ask, because I've got several friends who are curious about these things... and after I show them mine, they might be curious themselves... and again, I'd bet I'm not the only one with curious friends... could be a pyramid effect even! :D

Any chances?

I will continue offering these kits. The only reason that I set a deadline for this first batch of kits, is that I don't want to be overwhelmed at this time. I have only stopped accepting orders for kits, and am still offering pcb sets.

I will start selling them again in the near future, don't worry :) I expect more orders to start once people start finishing their kits.

As to the suppliers that I choose, I had to order from 7 different suppliers to get enough of the Caddock resistors. They are fairly common if you are not looking for large numbers of them. The Riken resistors are sold by Angela and pcx.

The pcb sets will include a list of recommended components. All the recommended parts for the kits would probably cost you around $60, not including shipping from the multiple suppliers. Of course, it would also be possible to use cheaper parts, which you can get all of them from Digikey.

--
Brian

BrianGT said:

Anyone interested in board (or kit) for the cdpro2? I know that Nico currently offers one, but my kit would be easier for those living in the US.

Yes! And maybe Peter does another group chassis?

I am also considering open-sourcing this project, so that people can modify the firmware anyway that they want. It is written in C, and has a serial bootloader.

Always great when two hobbies intersect. ;)

BrianGT said:

I will continue offering these kits. The only reason that I set a deadline for this first batch of kits, is that I don't want to be overwhelmed at this time. I have only stopped accepting orders for kits, and am still offering pcb sets.

I will start selling them again in the near future, don't worry :) I expect more orders to start once people start finishing their kits.

As to the suppliers that I choose, I had to order from 7 different suppliers to get enough of the Caddock resistors. They are fairly common if you are not looking for large numbers of them. The Riken resistors are sold by Angela and pcx.

The pcb sets will include a list of recommended components. All the recommended parts for the kits would probably cost you around $60, not including shipping from the multiple suppliers. Of course, it would also be possible to use cheaper parts, which you can get all of them from Digikey.

--
Brian
I sense a new Ron Elliot in the making

BrianGT said:

Anyone interested in board (or kit) for the cdpro2? I know that Nico currently offers one, but my kit would be easier for those living in the US. I am also considering open-sourcing this project, so that people can modify the firmware anyway that they want. It is written in C, and has a serial bootloader. (free one month trial is available for the c compiler from the company that makes it)
--
Brian

Make that another yes! Been interested in this for a while now, but kinda scared off by some stories of difficulties from them.

Hopefully getting the drives eaisily over here won't be hard.. I have heard of another EU source supposedly easier to deal with.

Looks like you're going for the completely DIY system there! Is that a pair of the D'Appolito Thor DIY speakers I see there??

Joined 2002
JonPike said:

Make that another yes! Been interested in this for a while now, but kinda scared off by some stories of difficulties from them.

Hopefully getting the drives eaisily over here won't be hard.. I have heard of another EU source supposedly easier to deal with.

Looks like you're going for the completely DIY system there! Is that a pair of the D'Appolito Thor DIY speakers I see there??

Enco Group sells the drives over here in the states:
http://www.enco-group.com/

Yes, they certainly are Thor TL speakers. I love them. I used the shielded drivers. Completely DIY, but I am currently using the DAC inside the cdpro2, as I didn't get the IV stage done for the DAC yet.

--
Brian

Joined 2002
Variac said:
I'm sure there will be CD pro iterest, but of course the whole project is pricier so I'd guess 20 people.

I am going to put this on the back burner for now, and wait a couple of months. I am getting another prototype done, with a few changes, before I consider a group order, as I want to get the design finalized first.

I will create another thread for this when the time comes around. Lets stick to the current group order for now.

--
Brian

Joined 2002
I have started a new Wiki for seeing how much interest there is for the next phase of a group order:
http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=NI+GC+PCB+Group+Order+Phase+II

If there is significant interest, I will start taking orders in April and ship them out shortly thereafter.

Read the new Wiki for details, and feel free to drop me an e-mail if you have any questions.

Keep in mind that I won't be taking new kit orders until April.

I changed the kit structure, now offering a basic kit, and a premium kit. All the details are on the new Wiki page.

--
Brian

Joined 2002
41 said:
Brian, did you find sufficient supplies of the BlackGate capacitors for the first batch of kits?

I haven't been able to get enough of them yet for all the orders. I also wasn't able to get the rest of the pricing low enough to put them into with the order, without losing money on the deal. I have decided to offer them as an upgrade to the kit. Everyone who has submitted an order via paypal has gotten an e-mail with details on the upgrade for the kit. The BG 4.7uF N caps cost me $2.50 each from Percy Audio, and I am offering the upgrade to all people who have bought a kit, $5 extra for a pair of these caps. Drop me an e-mail if you didn't receive this message.

I raised the price of the Premium kit $5 for future orders to accomidate these upgraded components for the next phase of the group order, and additionally added a lower priced kit, for those not needing the premium resistors and BG 4.7uF N caps. I should be able to get enough of them by the next group order to fulfil all orders. Check out the new Wiki here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=NI+GC+PCB+Group+Order+Phase+II

--
Brian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.