• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for DC coupled B1 buffer with shunt PSUs

If you have a look over in the pass forum theres a thread in the first page or 2 titled something like "new take on a classic D1 with ESS dac". Should get nearly all the info there I reckon....

Fran

hehe, yes, thats where I met pierre in the first place, but the build there is modified, where this one is only slightly modified and pretty much sticks to the BOM. its OK, pierre got back to me with the info. thanks anyway

pcb ...

Hi Salas,
This may not be desired, required or even considered useful but I'll mention it anyway!

On the buffer part of the board, if you were to add the possibility of some extra donuts for a small 50R trimpot between the source and drain pins of the 2 jfets, then we could add possibility of using the same pcb as a standard JC buffer stage with the ability to trim for offset dc, just like ZenMods o/p buffers on his "Poor Serbian Man's Lightspeed" and can just jumped them - perhaps leave the existing tracks there that could be cut for this mod.

I have done this mod to the existing "mezmerize" board, but it's not very pretty!
I left the jfet pins long enough so they are twisted so the flat faces are pressed together (for the same temp) - not a big deal, but ...

Also, perhaps add another pair of donuts on the relay control line to add possibility of simple "mute" control switch - again "cut the track" to use it.

... my 2 cents - nice design - simple, stable, good sound, no 'sense' (sorry, couldn't resist it!) - very useful for years to come.

As a side note - I will have 30 standard mesmerizes coming my way soon.
These will be offered at previous price.
The new boards will cost substantially more. PM if your interested.
Get the last of the black one's.....

I would like a Hypnotize board...are there any left over, from the previous GB? I have ordered all the parts from farnell uk, and should get delivery soon. I didnt order any 300ohm or 600ohm resistors as i have ordered a 12v relay...i am correct in thinking that these resistors are only needed with a 5v relay?

Also i am thinking of using a lightspeed attenuator as volume control for dcb1...would the 50va 12-0-12 transformer be able to handle the dcb1 and lightspeed? I have my eye on these transformers...any suggestions?

Amplimo 50va Transformer
http://www.amplimo.nl/index.php?pag...id=4&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=134&lang=en

Amplimo 80va Transformer
http://www.amplimo.nl/index.php?pag...id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=134&lang=en

Thanks

Alon

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas,
This may not be desired, required or even considered useful but I'll mention it anyway!

On the buffer part of the board, if you were to add the possibility of some extra donuts for a small 50R trimpot between the source and drain pins of the 2 jfets, then we could add possibility of using the same pcb as a standard JC buffer stage with the ability to trim for offset dc, just like ZenMods o/p buffers on his "Poor Serbian Man's Lightspeed" and can just jumped them - perhaps leave the existing tracks there that could be cut for this mod.

I have done this mod to the existing "mezmerize" board, but it's not very pretty!
I left the jfet pins long enough so they are twisted so the flat faces are pressed together (for the same temp) - not a big deal, but ...

Also, perhaps add another pair of donuts on the relay control line to add possibility of simple "mute" control switch - again "cut the track" to use it.

... my 2 cents - nice design - simple, stable, good sound, no 'sense' (sorry, couldn't resist it!) - very useful for years to come.

No, I don't like it, adds an element with a wiper directly in the signal path. Will certainly cut some subjective resolution. Offset can be very low by some basic matching as it proved in all those builds.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
None of these things are essential Salas, and as you know, adding each of the suggestions only pleases an ever-decreasing number of people for their oddball applications!!

Fran

Will be happy if CRT finds way to help some suggestions in time. For the time being a fast mock up by Tea looks like CRT has done rather OK though.

Attachments

• fit.jpg
    fit.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 366
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm just thinking out loud here. If there's no Mezmerize "BE", it would be really nice to have a supplemental input switching relay daughter board (blue of course) to use with these awesome new Hyno's. Just add a couple of pads for relay power and ground on the Hyno board to wire over to the daughterboard. Could be used for other preamp projects too. I really like the input switching setup of the Mezmerize, maybe others would too? New revision looks great, sign me up....

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I would like a Hypnotize board...are there any left over, from the previous GB? I have ordered all the parts from farnell uk, and should get delivery soon. I didnt order any 300ohm or 600ohm resistors as i have ordered a 12v relay...i am correct in thinking that these resistors are only needed with a 5v relay?

Malka, I should have some of the Older hyno boards in a week. I will post when I have them available.

-Pads for 5,10, and 15 mm WIMA
-Put the connector at Vout
DONE
:D

:cool:, very :cool:!

Does 0.22uF for led bypass suffice? I thought it was an initial value to play with, but now it is officially indicated in the updated schem.
Up to 1.1 uf pp can be inserted in the new board anyway. The MKP416 Vishay cap dearly beloved by HiFi Nut available at Digykey.

For those with the first "black edition" pcb, I suggest Wima MKP2 0.22uF/100V (Mouser P/N 505-MKP20.22/100/5). It fits perfectly (5 mm pitch).
0.33 uF also available.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The fully LED Vref used here allows for no very low frequency loop gain loss with small bypass values. Any film cap value will give no real problem. To wipe out noise residual, 100uF or more can work much better, but it proved that the original lytics aren't super transparent there, and the LEDs noise isn't bad. So the much lower value films subjectively won for all builders that reported. The Wima 0.22uF gave best sound to Fran amongst some and its typical and available. The size is big enough, so smaller pitch and lytics can go too. Lytics still a must if resistor Ref is employed for higher Vout in regs only. All well.