• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for DC coupled B1 buffer with shunt PSUs

There certainly can be another group buy.
A few things, demand has dropped a bit for Mesmerizes, so the cost would keep rising (I guess).

I have left the next iteration of the GB up to Salas. That means that him and CRT have primary control over design, and I left it to Salas how he might want to handle another group buy. If he wants to run it himself that is fine with me. I came in to help out originally since A LOT of people were hanging from the last guy who couldn't get the GB running. I fixed that, and got a fair amount of money donated to DiyAudio in the process. So my primary goals have been accomplished.

I certainly don't mind helping in another group buy in any way. Salas, CRT and all of you have been a pleasure to work with :)

And Lastly,
the black stuff is getting long in the tooth....
So another color would be neat.

Any idea yet of a new iteration of this group buy? I'm sure demand is already there.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi all. The PCB's are fine but...when changes will be made anyway please consider to make the power supply at the left side of the board. Then it would be a perfect standardized solution for existing gear. Only UK designed stuff has the inputs and 240 V connector swapped ! Power switches belong at the left and source selection and volume belong to the right side of the front cover IMO to adapt to what is standard on the market.

I also would like to have somewhat more caps ( let's say 4 in total for + and - ) directly after the rectifiers. Possibly with CRC filtering. In that case 2200 uF 25/35V can be used which leaves more choice for the builders.

Also TO220 rectifiers would be a nice option. And the input filter and other relays and ....

Sorry, I got carried away !

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Soon. I've got the ball on this again. We will be doing another run soon.

Salas has revisited the design. The board will be different and cost more.
We have decided to not make it a totally non-profit effort.
I need to double check the design on paper, but am behind on getting the residing PC application re-installed and reprinted.

There are still a number of the black hypnotizes in Udaileys shop buildanamp.com

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
We have a Hypno Blue developed with Wima Vref decoupling instead of lytics there, and 1W plus 5W Rset positions at the moment. We want to make it double the copper thickness than previously, and plated holes. Plated holes is charged as double layer and a few more holes count can change price bracket. So the both 2 proven tweaks (film cap Vref and hot current) can be included and be more rugged for high current and soldering. I will firstly ask CRT if he can implement further suggestions on the proven layout in near time or not. But the left or right thing never stopped anybody arranging, since those are small boards in a box. Many mount them along depth as I saw in several builds anyway. The story is that CRT originally did it that way so not to be confused with the initial pseudo GB guy's protos if he would have ever attempted ebay or something. About the parallel filter caps and TO220 rectifiers I see more practical benefit, If he attempts your suggestions. We will still have to see if a few more cm or holes to include stuff will produce a price jump or not and judge. About a Mez we will not iterate. There is low demand for on board relay switching full pre at the moment and a Hypno can still be mechanically switched close to RCAs with extension rod for those few who did not plan in the original GB. I asked Tea-Bag to handle the GB again, as he proved excellent in organization.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Sorry that I confused you as i was referring to the Mezmerize indeed. Please think it over to swap power supply section and input section and to continue developing both the Mezmerize and the Hypnotize. I am disappointed that "the Mez" is less popular then the Hypnotize as it really is a very good fully functional design with no wiring as a bonus. Please also realise that 850 PCB's is a lot and of course the design gets tired now. Our common hobby is declining and those that wanted one probably have made one or more by now. The Hypnotize is used mainly as a universal shunt supply it seems which makes it more versatile for use in existing designs. Then it is logical it will have a longer cycle.

Maybe adding a LDR type volume device will open up the future for the Mezmerize ? Or relay driven volume high end style ? With remote of course ;)

Again I ask for the possibility for adding output caps on the PCB for those that have DC coupled amps. If you do so please wire the output relay for shorting the output.. Just in case.

Warning, the following message might be shocking for some among us: what about designing a complete integrated amp with Tripath chips on the board as well ?? You would be the first to design such an amp as the manufacturers in China must think we all have only one source... "The Mez" and TA2020 are a couple made for each other. Besides that the TA2020 takes little board space even with very good inductors. Despite that Tripath doesn't exist anymore the chips are still available in large numbers.

It would be something completely new and adding the Tripath chip would open a larger market. Since the project isn't non-profit anymore that would be interesting.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
All this I dig, but we have to utilize the previous statistical experience of one of the largest successful GBs ever made here. There are many who need differently. Maybe they have a switch and want to avoid seeking the many relays, or they just want dedicated smallest size buffer add on. I do like the Mez too. What we can do is we can open a column for demand on Mez and if it will jump over 100, make the known board with double copper and plated holes. But we should have a price projection on that first. Some say to me, make it without constraint, hey, each of my RCA costs 3 times the board, or my pot is $150, what the heck, the sound quality of it deserves best parts, why skimp on the board? But there is also a psychological factor when just stashing for the future. Demand will drive it. Maybe the extra late fans prove few...
That other integrated amp idea is nice technically but can not tie with this GB. A whole new ball game by itself. I feel that if people prefer Hypno by large over Mez, will not care for even bigger with fixed power stage. They wanna drive what they already have. Imagine the speaker sensitivity and loudness habits diversity amongst an 850 PCB crowd...

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
"Out with the old, in with the new !"

It would be something, a guaranteed good total solution by design. A very good integrated amp with a lot of potential. Class T too. Nobody is offering such a device ready made nor DIY. Everything except the power transformer on one PCB. I haven' t been busy with my hobby for at least a year now but I will have time the next months. Maybe I will be a competitor on the new commercial path you have chosen and I will be offering a shiny "Mezta" with the best output inductors possible :D

I'll wait and see Salas. Don't forget the success of this GB depended also largely on the Mezmerize as well in its first days.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The success was based also on the high spirit IMHO. We can not forget your constant focus on tickling it either as a founding father of the building it thread or for the Mez ideas. You belong in the drafting committee :D

P.S. No real commercial path has been chosen. I just think that to authorize an iteration, I must include the odd dollar compensation per pcb for the team as a least thankful contribution against efforts, its symbolic, a night's out worth or a few building parts the most, and moral. I would not ask CRT to layout again or Tea to mass mail again just for the sake of it although they would gladly do it. The original goal has been already covered. All the original member fans have it, and $850 have been contributed to DIYA.

Attachments

• DI.jpg
    DI.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 308