• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for DC coupled B1 buffer with shunt PSUs

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
thanks for the work guys.
Salas, does the hypnotize have an issue still possibly with offset during power on/off as we discussed earlier?

I can front some money to have the boards made (cost pending of course) and can do some shipping. I am more uncertain about ordering quality boards and dealing with PCB manufacturers. Is pcbcore the way to go? I would be unsure about next steps if too many questions are asked. I would certainly order a small # first to make sure they work...

No, it has an ON delay circuit with a relay that also releases the output at once when DC B1 is turned OFF. The problem was that during the filter caps slow discharge the offset could climb. I had this relay feature in my original. Crt just didn't have it in his original because he knew all his amps are AC coupled.

If you could do prototypes to see if there is a mistake somewhere before you start the GB, is all the better.

thanks for the work guys.
Salas, does the hypnotize have an issue still possibly with offset during power on/off as we discussed earlier?

I can front some money to have the boards made (cost pending of course) and can do some shipping. I am more uncertain about ordering quality boards and dealing with PCB manufacturers. Is pcbcore the way to go? I would be unsure about next steps if too many questions are asked. I would certainly order a small # first to make sure they work...
Tea-Bag,

I would be willing to organize something for Europe but like you it would be the first time doing something like this. I would suggest that if we used pcbcore then we can both get samples and then place two orders.

I am not sure how many people in Europe have shown an interest nor how many of each type they wanted - waiting for the Wiki - but if Salas could send me the Eagle files I will try to check them against the schematic and if OK get some boards made, populated and tested.

If anyone has any info on how companies like pcbcore operate or have had dealings with them please pm me.

Salas - please send me the Eagle files and I will do what I can.

Alan

No, it has an ON delay circuit with a relay that also releases the output at once when DC B1 is turned OFF.
Is there a BOM for the new boards?
and thank you for your work!

I would be willing to organize something for Europe but like you it would be the first time doing something like this.
Just be aware of that you probably will have to pay tax when you recive the boards as you are from Europe.
Whick I think people in the USA don´t have to pay,Is that right that you don´t pay tax when you recive e.x pcb´s or parts from abroad?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Tea-Bag,

I would be willing to organize something for Europe but like you it would be the first time doing something like this. I would suggest that if we used pcbcore then we can both get samples and then place two orders.

I am not sure how many people in Europe have shown an interest nor how many of each type they wanted - waiting for the Wiki - but if Salas could send me the Eagle files I will try to check them against the schematic and if OK get some boards made, populated and tested.

If anyone has any info on how companies like pcbcore operate or have had dealings with them please pm me.

Alan

OK I will mail you. We have tested with Tea-Bag that the .brd extracted Gerbers through Eagle successfully.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Is there a BOM for the new boards?
and thank you for your work!

Its the same as before plus 1 relay for Hypnotize, plus 2 for Mezmerize if you utilize the full 6 inputs.There were some BOMs compiled I guess. Only you add the two parallel 0.5W resistors (600R in Hypnotize, 300R in Mezmerize) if using NAIS TQ2 5V or just a jumper if with NAIS TQ2-12V. A 2X15V 50VA TX will power the thingies OK. If anybody wants to compile fresh BOMs, look at what the PCBs carry, I attached on #512 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1908404&postcount=512

The circuits below are the Eagle guides, don't use them directly for BOM, they have some helper equivalent stuff, but good to see the full picture.

Attachments

• Hypn.gif
    Hypn.gif
    28.1 KB · Views: 710
  • Mez.gif
    Mez.gif
    28.9 KB · Views: 678
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Tea-Bag,

Alan

PCBCore was very responsive to my requests. The pricing, initially seems reasonable as well. Shipping being the only debatable change (looks like $1 a board even in quantity.)

I still need to work to see if the relays fit according to the Gerber files.

The pricing issue I am stil l working on. It looks like they are several vendors close on the prototype pricing. Its the quantity pricing, and working the prototype cost that into the orders that I will have to mull through.
Initial cost for individual shipping if it's not USPS flat rate envelope of 10.95 gets complicated, and I don't know if it's fair to charge different in usa or anywhere else. It may make sense to send a bunch of em over to someone overseas once this is established, if overseas shipping is cheaper within EU.

I am looking for a few volunteers (4-5) who make a strong commitment to building this asap, so others can enjoy the project, making sure the layout is indeed good, etc.

This will be my first distribution and order of PCB's so any ideas welcome.

Tea

Making a test board

Any vendor worth their salt will send a first single board for you to verify. Buy the components, build it and verify. Then divide out the cost in all the boards. It's pennies but well worth it. We did 2 such prototypes for the recent revC GB and it was well worth it. We used http://www.goldphoenixpcb.biz/index.php and were very happy with them. For shipping the USPS is your best friend in the US. They have a great website and autoprinting of stuff. In fact, if you take money via Paypal you can print mailing labels from there. Terrific. They really make it easy. Well worth the transaction fee (never mind the protection for buyers and sellers). In the US you can probably ship very cheaply using CD cushioned envelopes.

I enjoyed doing the GB with udailey for the revC earlier this year. I am not ready to do another. But am happy to provide any feedback from our experience.

Aside from giving some boards to the folks who did the layout I would also suggest to take a small donation (25c?) for each order to go to diyaudio.

Just some thoughts.

You heard about the fires in LA? I am looking at the top of the mountain I live at and it's on fire right now. So have other things on my mind... :(

Peter

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Any vendor worth their salt will send a first single board for you to verify. Buy the components, build it and verify. Then divide out the cost in all the boards. It's pennies but well worth it. We did 2 such prototypes for the recent revC GB and it was well worth it. We used http://www.goldphoenixpcb.biz/index.php and were very happy with them. For shipping the USPS is your best friend in the US. They have a great website and autoprinting of stuff. In fact, if you take money via Paypal you can print mailing labels from there. Terrific. They really make it easy. Well worth the transaction fee (never mind the protection for buyers and sellers). In the US you can probably ship very cheaply using CD cushioned envelopes.

I enjoyed doing the GB with udailey for the revC earlier this year. I am not ready to do another. But am happy to provide any feedback from our experience.

Aside from giving some boards to the folks who did the layout I would also suggest to take a small donation (25c?) for each order to go to diyaudio.

Just some thoughts.

You heard about the fires in LA? I am looking at the top of the mountain I live at and it's on fire right now. So have other things on my mind... :(

Peter

Peter, I will certainly check them out for pricing.
A free board does sound like the way to go, and only a few people are on the hook to test.

The Postal Service here is good, and a roll of bubble wrap or envelopes is manageable. I fullly intend to get a good donation over to diyaudio! This assumes there is a bit of float money to take care of unknown's.

Mike

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi - am I one of the fishes on the hook?:spin:

Alan

you could be, but I dont know much about relay's here, so I may defer testing of the deluxe to someone else ... Is BillyK listening? I think he may have all the parts.
I think we want someone who's a quick builder, and can overcome potential bumps and provide feedback.
It may not be a perfect situation for everyone.
I think the size is settled. I am thinking a black soldermask and tin (not gold ) plating. I am not sure of the thickness's of this and that, and assume defaults or minimum's are okay. It is just a pre anyways. 1oz copper should be fine.

you could be, but I dont know much about relay's here, so I may defer testing of the deluxe to someone else ... Is BillyK listening? I think he may have all the parts.
I think we want someone who's a quick builder, and can overcome potential bumps and provide feedback.
It may not be a perfect situation for everyone.
I think the size is settled. I am thinking a black soldermask and tin (not gold ) plating. I am not sure of the thickness's of this and that, and assume defaults or minimum's are okay. It is just a pre anyways. 1oz copper should be fine.
Then for the moment I will wait - but if everyone who showed an interest before is still interested then I think a second distribution point in Europe is a good thing - it means one person is not weighed down with all the collecting / dispatching of the boards.

Alan