Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Sweet speakers! How did you come up with the design? Did you do a build thread?
Thank you! I used Winisd for the design. I didn't start a thread. I'm newb at this stuff and I wasn't sure anyone would be interested in my modest efforts. They are 6.2 liter (really wanted compact bookshelves) ported br's tuned to about 86 hz with an f3 around 80hz. I'm going away for a few days and really haven't had time to do some listening yet but I'll post back in few days.

Last edited:
Here is my contribution to this, most excellent collection of Single-Driver masterpieces:
These are just completed, Alpair 10's in the MarkFonken Enclosure. Baltic Burch. They sound remarkably good, with only about 10 hours on them. I am driving them with a diy, transformer-coupled 300B that puts out about 6 Watts. I am getting very satisfying SPL's, without pushing the amp too hard. I LOVE these speakers. God bless Mark Fenlon!

Marcus Gitterle

Alpair 10 in "Mark Fonken" Enclosure

Marcus Gitterle

Attachments

• Mar-Ken10-mgitterie.jpg
    Mar-Ken10-mgitterie.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 2,756
Mar-Ken10 MiniOnken

Hi Dave,
Coming from you, that is a big compliment! I have been a longtime lurker here, and I am happy to finally be able to contribute something.

The Mar-Ken10's are superb, and I hope to be able to report more in the way of performance detail, soon. They have a lot of breaking in to do, first. I was quite reticent about the efficiency issue, but much less so, now. They are working nicely in this context with my SET amp.

My previous speakers are a pair of Fe206e's, in a set of 225 pound, concrete, bass reflex cabinets. The idea was (obviously), resonance control, and they were a success, I feel, from that perspective. They sound really good, but even with Planet10 phase plugs, they still had enough shortcomings that I rarely just listened to music anymore. Instead, I was constantly pining for something with more air and solidity.

I feel the Alpair 10 drivers give me air, with weight and authority. The aperiodic cabinets seem to achieve their design brief of reinforcing bass frequencies, across a broad range of SPL's, unlike BR designs. I am marveling at how good these Mar-Ken10's sound, whether they are whispering or thundering.

Of course, I want to turn them up quite a bit of the time, because they open up and just get breathtaking, throwing a really wide, deep soundstage. The 300B, "larger than life" imaging happens, to a much greater degree than with the fostex/concrete speakers, which cast things on a smaller scale, believe it or not. To some degree, that may reflect placement, as the Fe206 speakers are floorstanders, and the Mar-Ken's are on bookshelves, well above the floor.

The Alpair drivers are very "listenable," in a difficult-to-describe way as so many have tried to point out. One can just relax and enjoy extended listening, without being distracted by audio quirkiness.

Marc

Some older speakers...

Bought these for £5 at a charity shop. Checked them quickly with a 9V battery, then connected them to my little amp.

It must be noted that the cabinet is rubbish. It's mostly 2mm plastic (cheap, brittle stuff), not sealed, and the rest is chipboard.
They're 6x9" drivers, full range, 8ohm. Paper cone, cloth dustcap, pleated fabric surround. Made in England, AlNiCo magnet (I think - can someone double check that?).
Anyway, the sound isn't bad, even in those boxes. The mid-bass is a little bloated, down to the cabinet, but midrange and treble is pretty good. These are the first drivers I've owned that I'd call properly full-range (3" mid-tweeters don't count, right?).

Pics attached
Chris

Attachments

• P4160001.JPG
    P4160001.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 2,948
  • P4160002.JPG
    P4160002.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 2,901
  • P4160003.JPG
    P4160003.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 2,853
  • P4160008.JPG
    P4160008.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 280
  • P4160007.JPG
    P4160007.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 2,692
  • P4160006.JPG
    P4160006.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 2,765
Just put some stuffing in - we have some meaningful LF presence now, mainly because the box isn't leaking so much (big holes in the back for wires, wall mounting etc).
The inflated lower-midrange has also disappeared, as the cabinet isn't vibrating as much.
I think they need either a super tweeter, or removal of the grille, which looks like it would block far too much sound.

Chris

Last edited:
Peter's build subtread had been split off on its own so as to get the wider exposure.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/165290-lowther-opus-one-model-b-build-thread.html

dave :cop:

Dave,

That was very considerate of you. Hopefully now with increased exposure he'll get more encouragement from other DIYers here!

Classy Move...

Tom Scata (thetubeguy1954)

========================================================
"The man that hath no music in himself nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds is fit for treasons, stratagems and spoils."
- William Shakespeare

Those look outstanding!

Josh

Josh,

I agree with you those look GRREEEAAAATTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've always wanted a pair of those. Unfortunately I'm such a clutz with wood that I'll measure a 4" cut three times. yet after I make the cut the piece will be either 3" or 5" everytime!

Peter I envy you. That's quite a talent you have there my friend. How do they sound verses other Lowther designs? Are they more sensitive? Better bass being corner loaded? Tell me everything!

Tom Scata (thetubeguy1954)

=========================================================
"The man that hath no music in himself nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds is fit for treasons, stratagems and spoils."
- William Shakespeare

here's a uFonken^2 for the small office annex in the man-cave. tung-oiled oak ply. currently wired in parallel for a measured impedance of 3.5ohms. i only have 24 hrs on these thus far with an ancient 20 yr old Denon receiver. so far, i'm very, very pleased.

a big thanks to Dave for sharing his designs and to everyone here on the FR Forum for sharing their knowledge - i really appreciate it :).

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    749.2 KB · Views: 1,019
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    715.7 KB · Views: 682
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    795.1 KB · Views: 656
Those are definitely prettier than ours... glad you like them. They should bloom over the next couple 100 hours.

Are you running any bass support?

dave

thanks. no bass support, yet - a sub is on the menu before winter hits. i honestly don't find these terribly lacking at this point though. after some break-in, i'll experiment with some fudge bass port spacers.