Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

for a complete novice i think the flexible oak veneer would have been much easier. I had to knock up some homemade softener to wrap round the 3/4" radius corners (water + glycerin + alcohol).

Also, the cherry was hard work to finish. On a test piece just danish oil was blotchy (sapwood in cherry apparantly) but danish oil applied with wetdry 400grit did the job, and left them with a nice sheen.

I cant believe how much the sound of the fostex drivers has changed over for first 100hrs or so..... either that or my mind is playing tricks!

full range single cone speaker.

I'm interested in a good single cone driver, maybe 8 inch, with clean midrange and imaging and a proper but easy to build enclosure for in to live in. I would expect to use it with an Onkyo 55 watt per channel(rms) amp. that would drive the speakers to reasonable sound pressure levels, about 105 to 108 spl. I'm not into realistic sound levels. Any good advice or ideas?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Allan,

We live in a world where there are so many good options the biggest problem is making a choice... so in aid of narrowing things down

1/how big a room
2/ how big a box can you live with
3/ how complex a box can you build
4/ what kind of amp
5/ how loud do you play
6/ what kinds of music do you play
7/ WAF considerations
8/ in your world what does moderately priced mean
9/ i'm sure i missed some questions, we'll get those later :D

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
that would drive the speakers to reasonable sound pressure levels, about 105 to 108 spl

105-108 dB peaks usually implies very loud. If we say 50 W, 105 dB and 3dB transient headroom in the amp, then you are looking for something on the order of 85 dB efficiency... a good thing as some of the really efficient drivers will expose the worst characteristics of your amplifier.

Mark Audio A12 is the 1st thing that comes to mind. At the high end of moderate cost. Pensil 12 is a straightforward build, Avebury will get more out of them but has ALOT more pieces.

dave

Let's see...room is 15 by 16, 10foot ceiling. I can live with a 2 cubic foot box. I'm not a top carpenter, but I have friends who are. The afore mentioned Onkyo in the amp I'll use. I don't play very loud, just about strong conversation level. My choice in music wide, mostly soft rock, blues, jazz.WAF? explain. Mod. priced is under $200. I've look at the Tang band w8's. Hope this covers it.

How about a 10 inch Hawthorn Audio Open Baffel. Cover it in white speaker cloth for max WAF. We have white Magnepans at home, and the other wifes are allway wondering if they are paint canvasses. :rolleyes:

You can stick them in a corner/shelf, and easily lift them out for a serious listening session.
Silver Iris OB 10 Coaxial Unit [SI-OB-10] - $160.00 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

Take a look at their galleries for inspiration.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mod. priced is under $200. I've look at the Tang band w8's. Hope this covers it.

Given the TB that is $400/pr?

Pensil 12 will satisfy your requirements. And probably be happier with your amp than the more efficient W8.

163439d1269100400-alpair-12-damped-air-coupler-box-design-_dsc4704_frame.jpg

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/155511-alpair-12-damped-air-coupler-box-design.html

dave

Here are is my first build. They are TB W4-1320's. I'm very pleased with their overall performance. A bit bright but I'm sure that has a lot to do the room as well. I may put together a 2-3db bsc and see how that helps. They are cherry stained oak veneer over mdf with 6 coats of semi gloss/satin tung oil and stainless hardware.

Attachments

• IMGP5818.jpg
    IMGP5818.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 2,414
  • IMGP5819.jpg
    IMGP5819.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 2,378
  • IMGP5824.jpg
    IMGP5824.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 2,242
Last edited:
dave and chris,
how does this 1/2" wool job look? i left some gaps for the top and bottom ports. i'm asking for your blessings before i glue the wool down :).

also, the ports are 11.5mm in height. i'll get them down to 10.5mm or so after a few liberal coats of tung-oil on the insides. i was planning on cutting some 1/32" Alu to slide into the ports along their entire lengths to tune the bass . what about stuffing the ports?

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    659.8 KB · Views: 2,204
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    882.6 KB · Views: 901
Here are is my first build. They are TB W4-1320's. I'm very pleased with their overall performance. A bit bright but I'm sure that has a lot to do the room as well. I may put together a 2-3db bsc and see how that helps. They are cherry stained oak veneer over mdf with 6 coats of semi gloss/satin tung oil and stainless hardware.

Sweet speakers! How did you come up with the design? Did you do a build thread?