Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

digitalmind said:
Very nice builds in here! Much stuff to like.

I'm currently playing with a pair of Jordan VTL's. I like them a lot so far. May have to build a pair of J-Low's though somewhere early next year, if only for their sheer madness. :D

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Wow. I like that tiger maple!

rcavictim said:

Wow. I like that tiger maple!

Thanks! I wasn't too sure about the veneer in the beginning, thinking it was a bit too wild. However, I've grown to like it. I'm planning on making different feet for the speakers though, much in the style of the Konus Essence. That should give the speakers a bit more 'classy' look.

digitalmind said:

Thanks! I wasn't too sure about the veneer in the beginning, thinking it was a bit too wild. However, I've grown to like it. I'm planning on making different feet for the speakers though, much in the style of the Konus Essence. That should give the speakers a bit more 'classy' look.

Speaking of feet, that small footprint of the base doesn`t look like it helps make the speaker very stable, especially on a carpet. I`d be looking at a thick steel plate and spikes.

I`ve learned that applying boiled linseed oil to maple or oak is a mistake. The finish turns too brown-yellow in a short time for my liking. The look of yours is what I like. I guess that is achieved and maintained by using a clear finish like laquer. Urethanes will yellow but not nearly so as the linseed oil. Linseed oil works very well on dark wood like black walnut.

Gerben said:
Another standard Jordan TL :cool:

Finished in Curly Birch and driven by one of Peter Daniels LM3875 Premium kit and a Scott Nixon Tube DAC (can you say 'mimimalistic'... ). The veneer on both speakers is bookmatched.

Low end is supported with a small subwoofer (Alcone AC8SW and a seperate poweramp), finished in Birdeye Maple.

I really enjoyed doing the veneering and I'm very, very happy with the results :D

Holy crap! On the first page of this thread are my speakers. Haha, talk about a coincidence!

By the way -- forgive my ignorance, but is there an edit function so I don't have to double post? I can't find it if there is one.

rcavictim said:

Speaking of feet, that small footprint of the base doesn`t look like it helps make the speaker very stable, especially on a carpet. I`d be looking at a thick steel plate and spikes.

I`ve learned that applying boiled linseed oil to maple or oak is a mistake. The finish turns too brown-yellow in a short time for my liking. The look of yours is what I like. I guess that is achieved and maintained by using a clear finish like laquer. Urethanes will yellow but not nearly so as the linseed oil. Linseed oil works very well on dark wood like black walnut.

They aren't all that stable -- it'd be fairly easy to tip them over should you bump into them. They would be a disaster on carpet. I haven't thought about steel as a base yet, but now that you mention it, it is a good idea. It would definitely give them a whole lot more mass against vibrations too.

Thanks for your words on oil and lacquers. They are indeed finished with a clear lacquer. I might decide to relacquer them in the future, and since I have no experience whatsoever on finishing any advice is welcome. I'll have my dad (an experienced guitar builder) to help out though. :)

(edit: so I guess editing a post is time limited?)

Thought I'd share my bibs, built these over the holidays. Kind of x-mas present to myself. Thanks to the forum and members for making diy posable

Attachments

• 000_0163.jpg
    000_0163.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 5,238
Fostex FX120 in Bass Reflex Enclosure

Attached is a photo of a Fostex FX120 in a Bass Reflex Enclosure. The enclosure is one of the newer Parts Express Curved cabinets with a piano gloss finish. Volume is about 0.38 ft^3 and tuned to about 63 Hz.

I only have about 20 hours on these, but right away it was obvious that this driver is a big step up from the FE127E. The FX120 is about $60 more than the FE127E, but in my mind well worth the extra coin.

No wall treatments on the enclosure right now, I want to wait till they break in some more. I will try some upholsters felt on the walls. I also will try damping the port.

Right now I am not using a BSC and it sounds fine. Likely because I am use to the FE127E which has a peaky upper end. No need for a sub in my small to med sized room.

This really is a great driver and I bet it would sound great in a T-Line. I am very tempted to try the F120A.

For interest sake, I have scanned the Japanese data sheet which has a Fostex FX120 Double Bass Reflex Enclosure Plan. Oddly enough, the drivers did not come with an English data sheet?

Also, here are some higher resolution Photographs of my Fostex FX120 Bass Reflex Speaker.

Cheers,
Gio

Attachments

• fostex-fx120-bass-reflex-sm.jpg
    fostex-fx120-bass-reflex-sm.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 4,170
Re: Fostex FX120 in Bass Reflex Enclosure

gmilitano said:
Attached is a photo of a Fostex FX120 in a Bass Reflex Enclosure. ...

I finally got around to putting a web page together for this project:
Fostex FX120 Bass Reflex Bookshelf Speakers.

The results are very good. The prefab cabinets make it easy to finish a nice pair of speakers. I have a pair of Jordan JX92S drivers on the way and it will be interesting to compare them to the FX120.