Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Here is a pic of a Sony 133-11 16 ohm. the Radioshack 1197
is there for a size reffference. Anyone know anything about this driver I have never played with it other toys always came first.

Attachments

• p1010004 (large) (small).jpg
    p1010004 (large) (small).jpg
    53 KB · Views: 5,912
Full Range Line Array

This is my Dipole Line Array,

it needs a subwoofer for full bass performance
below 70 Hz, so it is a FAST system in fact.

On the rear of the open baffle there is a
tweeter panel which adds the highs missing
in the backward radiation of the fullrange drivers.

This is to optimize polar radiation characteristcs
and to ensure enough power above 2 Khz in the
far field.

For listening distances up to 3m you won't miss
(or even notice) the tweeter panel. At higher
distances it is a real improvement.

Regards

Oliver

Attachments

• openbafflefullrangedipollinearray.jpg
    openbafflefullrangedipollinearray.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 5,801
3 cubic ft sealed box and Axiette

These chipboard speaker cabinets are sealed. The inside volume of each is 3 cubic feet. It seems that originally they were meant to be bass reflex subwoofers. Someone removed drivers, reflex tubes and terminals, and abandoned boxes. I don't know who built them or why they were left in the cellar. It would be interesting to know. I installed 8 inch Goodmans Axiette 101 full range drivers into them. I filled the boxes with polyester wadding. I am quite sure that the edges of front baffles cause diffractions and colorate the sound, but I like the speakers anyway.

I did not want any filters. The only electronics in the speakers are the drivers, some wire and terminals.

For those who wonder what is in front of the drivers: It is a stainless steel wire mesh.

Attachments

• 85_liter_sealed_small.jpg
    85_liter_sealed_small.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 5,394
"Zombies" - Petroff cabinets rise from the dead

I scored a pair of interestingly-shaped cabinets on *Bay. Petroff Labs.
(Some Googling revealed they had never been anything that had set the world on fire.)
The veneer was in virtually perfect condition, though the woofers' and mids' surrounds had rotted. (They were nothing special anyway.) What was a real bonus was they were each fitted with a vintage Foster ribbon tweeter. A quick check confirmed the ribbons were A-OK.

What to do ...

I had seen - on the Planet 10 site (Thanks Dave!) - the plans for the Alegria Rosa TMM:
homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/box-plans/rosa-wr125-TMM-map.gif

I also saw the Occam Audio site:
www.occamaudio.com/Products.html (refer to "Occam MTM". See also the box plan.)

I was encouraged to give it a go, and the results are pictured. (Excuse the untidy state, as I've not yet puttied, sprayed, etc.)

Four WR125ST's were obtained from Darcher Audio. (Thanks Dan!)

After a few hours burn-in, the sound is great!

Frugal-philes of the world rise up! :)

Doug

Attachments

• petroff zombies 5.jpg
    petroff zombies 5.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 3,913
Re: Re: "Zombies" - Petroff cabinets rise from the dead

greenie512 said:

Doug - Big box, might be good to explain what volume you reduced the innards to and what dia/length port you used?

Cheers- Phil

As Phil alluded, there is now a false bottom in the cabinet, about 3" below the port. This gives a net volume of approx 28L. After I get the drivers burned in I may experiment with slightly reducing the volume.

* There is enough volume left below the false to consider fitting a ported subwoofer. If not, I concieve of sitting the whole cabinet on a box plinth, and then cutting out the base ... thus increasing the volume.

Anyway, first things first. I'll check out the sound as it is.

BTW, the port is 2" diam, 3" length, as per the Alegria Rosa design.

cheers

Doug

Are we having fun yet?

Ah second childhood. I'm back at the place in my life where I can kick back and enjoy my old and new favorite tunes. First homebuildt project was a sub to compliment a new home theatre system. I really enjoyed the build and subsiquent use but found myself drawn to music DVDs and ultimatimatly 2 channel music. Started to consider making a dedicated pair of speakers for music and then discovered "full range" drivers and this forum. Did considerable research and discovered and ultimately met someone who is well known to this communtity, Dave of Planet_10. Dave lives down island from me and needless to say I took advantage of that.

Attachments

• one.jpg
    one.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 4,617