• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: Kit for amp power soft switch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
fcel said:
I assume Kit means with switch, transformer, relay, boards, etc?
What about those of us that already have the boards but just wanted the transformer, switch & relay?

Maybe you could put yourself down for the number of kits you want, and put a comment, such as "already have pcbs".

The boards look nice. I saw the finished amp at the DiyAtl speaker event this year and was very impressed.

--
Brian

Maxhawk, the pcb looks nice but it wouldn't be approved in 230 V countries due to too small creepage distances. You have found a very cute toroid transformer.

Did I understand it right? You switch a solid state relay with a small signal relay? Do you have any series resistance anywhere? Was this a inrush current limiter? Notice that solid state relays has limitations where it comes to inrush currents. The also creates some harmonics....

I don't want to spoil this group buy but if anyone want my approach a second group buy it would be possible as long as somebody else organize it.

http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=Sj%F6str%F6m+Soft+Start

Notice that my solution is "hot" => needs good installtion.

bowdown said:
Hey Max ok i love the group buy thingie but is that circuit going to work for Aussie voltage ie 220v-230v???If not can it be modified?? If it does sign me up and how do i pay??

Bowdown

The transformer has a dual primary but the PCB wires them in parallel for 120V input. Since I have to order new boards, let me take a look at the layout to see if I can accomodate wiring them in series.

Paypal is preferred.

-Rob

bowdown said:
Hey Max ok i love the group buy thingie but is that circuit going to work for Aussie voltage ie 220v-230v???If not can it be modified?? If it does sign me up and how do i pay??

Bowdown

The transformer has a dual primary but the PCB wires them in parallel for 120V input. Since I have to order new boards, let me take a look at the layout to see if I can accomodate wiring them in series.

Paypal is preferred.

-Rob

You are correct that this circuit does not meet the 6mm creepage spec for the EU. But the spec is worthless if it doesn't have a CE mark on it. From what I understand, electronic products without a CE mark are not allowed in the EU. I don't know how this is enforced for personal shipments.

This circuit is for a soft switch -- momentary contact power switch -- not soft start with current limiting. I have a separate circuit for that in my amplifier, thus no issues with the solid state relay.

peranders said:
Maxhawk, the pcb looks nice but it wouldn't be approved in 230 V countries due to too small creepage distances. You have found a very cute toroid transformer.

Did I understand it right? You switch a solid state relay with a small signal relay? Do you have any series resistance anywhere? Was this a inrush current limiter? Notice that solid state relays has limitations where it comes to inrush currents. The also creates some harmonics....

I don't want to spoil this group buy but if anyone want my approach a second group buy it would be possible as long as somebody else organize it.

http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=Sj%F6str%F6m+Soft+Start

Notice that my solution is "hot" => needs good installtion.

I found that Allied Electronics also carries the Bulgin switch. Their pricing is also better than Mouser's:

$17.50 1-14
$16.07 15-24
$14.28 25-49

Currently we have interest in 14 switches, so I'm pretty sure we can hit the $16.07 price point, assuming everyone wants the blue LED.

I need to hear back from everyone that's interested in a kit whether they also want me to source the transformer.

Transformer is:
$9.34 1-10
$8.30 10-24

Currently I have interest in 8 transformers.

Thanx Max, im in if it can be converted to 240v.is it possible to get 240v relays to fit on the board or are they different too? Posssible to redesign one with the 6mm creepage design rules just in case so that we dont have problems?? i would probably order 4-6 kits minus the transformers.....maybe even 8...hmmm.

P.S- can you please post the gerber files??

Regards

Bowdown

fcel said:
I assume Kit means with switch, transformer, relay, boards, etc?
What about those of us that already have the boards but just wanted the transformer, switch & relay?

Definition of "kit" is all parts except transformer, switch, relay, and MAX6816.

I've updated the Wiki page to the best of my knowledge. Everyone please take a look and update it if something is wrong.

Soft switch Wiki

I checked with a CE expert and was told that spacing between mains pins/traces has to be atleast 3mm, while spacing of "rigid" parts between mains and other parts must be atleast 5mm. The 6mm spacing is required for non-rigid components such as wires, etc.

I looked at the layout and the only way to meet the 5mm requirement is to grow the board from 2x3" to 2.2x2.3". Not sure if everyone wants a larger PWB that would also work with 230V?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.