Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

Well they got a quick throw together in the workshop sound interesting not as much Bass as the n7 pensils i had them in but very open and airy i will use them for a while and see how they go,may also try and find some of the chp 90 paper drivers or if i ever sell the cabs try the frugel 3 with the chn70.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have just received my Alpair 10p. They come with a 164 mm diameter plastic ring (bezel?) that is obviously intended to cover the mounting screws in the speaker. Do they have any other purpose? I may want to leave them out and just make the recessed hole a little smaller.
We never use them, originally to hide some basket ugliness, main purpose now to show off the logo

Dave

Hello! Long time lurker with minimal DIY skills. Thank you to everybody in the forum, especially Dave and Scott, for all the knowledge sharing.
I've only built a Pass Amp Camp Amp before, which I was comfortable with (just electronics), woodworking is not something I'm strong in... So... A flat pack it's going to be :)

I'm planning on getting a pack from KJF Audio in the UK, who offer a choice between the Alpair 10P, A10.3, A11, Pluvia 11, and the MAOP 11. I know Dave just mentioned that the MAOP works well with the XL, but is that the MAOP 11 or the 10.2?

Overall from what I'm seeing the sentiment seems to be Alpair 10 (P? 10.3? Not sure) is the forum favorite, but I'm not sure if that's because it's commonly available or if it works the best for most people.

Any pointers for the differences between these drivers? I am planning on placing the speakers against the wall, in a fairly small room (about 13' x 14' x 8').

Thank you!
Panda 🐼

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
choice between the Alpair 10P, A10.3, A11, Pluvia 11, and the MAOP 11. I know Dave just mentioned that the MAOP works well with the XL, but is that the MAOP 11 or the 10.2

I have not heard these all, so take that into consideration. First let’s consider MAOP 10.2 vrs M11. Haven’t heard either. Nut i have haeard Pluvia 11 & Alapir 10.x which they are based on. A10x smokes Pluvia 11, i expect, andd it seems bourne out by the (few) real reviews. MAOP is the head of the class.

A10.3 is likely more accuarte than A10p, but some really love the “vintage” sonics of the A10p (i sold over twice as many A10PeN vrs A10.3eN). Alpair 11ms with monoSuspension promises to have better DDR/detail than the A10.3, but some do not like them.

I would not get Pluvia 11. But all the rest are valid choices. Also consider CHN-110, it prefers to be in Joan, but in FHXL i found it outperformed Pluvia 11.

And then thro EnABL into the ring… A7.3eN gets REALLY close to MAOP 7, so i expect and EnABLed driver to have an edge (you’ll have to DIY).

With an ACA, with output impedance and power similar to an SE300B, the amlifier match tends to point towards the A10p, which, at least those i sold, was the favourite of teh small SE tube crowd.

Budget plays into things as well.

A10.3, A10p, MAOP 10,2, all fir the same rebate, the 11s can all be used with no rebate. So if you want to play with drivers you can choose a family to try. Or get the flat pack with a switchable supraBaffle.

Without listening to them all it is hard to choose and you have to choose, but i would personally choose MAOP 10.2 and then A10PeN, but i could libe with any except for the Pluvia 11 Iassumming M11 sorts teh P11’s DDR deficit. I don’t think you can lose with any of the choices.

dave

I have just completed my FHXL with the Alpair 10p and I am very pleased with the acoustic result (the woodworking result was ok too). The level of detail in instruments and vocals is just great and the overall tone balance is very good too. Perhaps I need to play a bit with the stuffing to get some more bass since I have no solid back wall behind the speakers. I am feeding them with a PP 300B amplifier with no feedback so the output impedence is probably quite high.

Last edited by a moderator:
My PP300B is a kit called WAD 300B made by World Audio Design in the UK in the early 90's. I use it with a passive volume control and feed it directly from a DAC or my RIAA pre-amp.
300b-amp.jpg
300b-underside.jpg

It will give approx 2x20W which is ample for these speakers. There is a switch to choose between feedback and no feedback (6dB difference) and the data sheet says that the output impedence is 2 ohms in feedback mode and 6 ohms in openloop mode. Seems a bit higher than I thought but I have not measured it.
Here is a badly formatted website that shows an earlier version with different drivers tubes:
https://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.php/world-audio-design/332-300b-amplifier.html

The transformers shown on the underside are interstage transformers for the 180 degree phaseshift to feed the 300B tubes. There are also two chokes. It is pretty heavy!

Reactions: 1 users