Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

By driving the tube through the cathode with a source follower and a local feedback a-g1 and a-g2, you can proportionally increase B+ staying within tube specifications and triodizing its curves (same applies for fets). Then you get more power and lower Zout. I always use UL in the 20-25% range, so the curve g1=0 is still very pentodeish, so the maximum power is high.

I've wondered if the room is too big. It's probably 32 feet squarish with a ten foot suspended ceiling and the real ceiling is another 4-6 feet above that. This isn't their long term home, but it's a good place to break them in, and they sound way better than my Smartboard speake
See post #1725 for my current damping. As far as the amp, one thing that these speakers WILL do is reveal any weakness in your system. I can now hear a difference in sound as the result of upsampling, something that never seemed to have any effect with any other speaker. Of course the DAC itself has a lot to do with that.
It sort of sounds like you may be driving them with some underwhelming equipment/sources. I have found that I can plainly hear if Spotify is streaming at low or high quality, if a low quality mp3 or flac is playing, and I would describe the result similarly to what you are describing. Veiled, muddy, blurred.
Yeah, it's not an ideal situation. But it's not their final home. I figured in my classroom, I could leave them going nights and weekends and get more break-in. The source itself is fine - FLAC files through a Dragonfly Black. The amp is clean but weak. As I recall it's a Topping class T with a beefed up power supply. I keep it at school because it's cheap, tough, and simple. Once they're done and painted, they'll be in a much smaller living room with a much better amp.

As others have pointed out, you'll get no where close to final results until your cabinets are properly sealed. There is no way sealing can be achieved with clamps. If you fill the "rear" part of the horn (pointy part) with stuffing prior to sealing the cabinets, you'll be able to adjust the amount of stuffing in the "front" part of the horn through the driver hole. My FHXLs were quite capable of filling a 30'x14' room with sound. Having said that, these are clearly not "head banging" speakers - everything has design goals and limits.

Re test listening with clamped panels; it’s long been my intuition that aside from the issue of
uncertainty of sealing, that the extra mass and tension would affect the enclosure’s resonance and perhaps even effective tuning sufficiently to be misleading.

comments from the peanut gallery welcomed

Re test listening with clamped panels; it’s long been my intuition that aside from the issue of
uncertainty of sealing, that the extra mass and tension would affect the enclosure’s resonance and perhaps even effective tuning sufficiently to be misleading.

comments from the peanut gallery welcomed
I have guitars that definitely sound different based on humidity. I have one client who refuses to humidify his guitar because it sounds sooo good when the top is under so much tension it's about to split in two. I keep fixing it for him, but he won't let me do it right. It's hard to imagine the situation is the same with 3/4" BB ply though.