First timer - desperately confused with the options...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Zia,

re 5: no ply, much cheaper is much better!
Use damping board for the inner layer. That is the very soft fiberboard you lay under wooden parcquet floors.
It will soak up
a) midrange smut from inside, and
b) resonances of the outer panel.

Two problems solved for half the money, that´s DIY! :D

Pit

But use lots of glue, plus nails. That stuff drinks glue for breakfast, more than you drink tea.:eek:

Exchage rates are not all of it, right. Freight, import taxes, taxes levied on taxes...you end up with drivers at three times their worth.
And money for what you get, in different countries - neighbours are from your part of the globe (they are, and speak, Bangla) - having carpet laid in their flat cost them as much as marble floor laid by an old craftsman would have cost back home.:eek:

Zia, jobs that have to be done by a qualified engineer (gas, electricity) can easily reach €80 per hour and the man doing the job gets a pittance, most of what you pay are taxes.
Biriyani - help me! The only way to indulge would be traveling to Birmingham, England - Europe´s Biryani capital. Or could you pester your grandma and aunts for a recipe a stupid European can do at home?
Email is hphinder at kabelmail dot de - I´m willing to reciprocate with the four generations old mayonnaise for a real potato salad.:)

Zia, jobs that have to be done by a qualified engineer (gas, electricity) can easily reach €80 per hour and the man doing the job gets a pittance, most of what you pay are taxes.
Biriyani - help me! The only way to indulge would be traveling to Birmingham, England - Europe´s Biryani capital. Or could you pester your grandma and aunts for a recipe a stupid European can do at home?
Email is hphinder at kabelmail dot de - I´m willing to reciprocate with the four generations old mayonnaise for a real potato salad.:)

four generations old mayonnaise. Oh my.

;-)

I was about to build a BIB with the 206en -but tried the 166en instead. Went very well but i still have the 206en's and i think i have to try them out also -also in BIB :)
Only thing is -the Zdrive.. the drivers will be some above ear level!
will this matter much og is there a work around?

Hi Platpass,

Your speakers look great! Are you still happy with them? I'm currently trying to decide on a box for a pair of FE206En's. I was pretty much decided on the BLH 208 design but the complexity was starting to scare me for my first DIY project. Then I saw your thread and the BIB box looks like the one for me. I'm going to drive them from a TK2050 based amp.

I have a few questions for you:
1. Did you spray or cover your black panels? They look magnificent.
2. What was your approximate build time?
3. Do you leave the top of the enclosure open?
4. Do you have the sketchup file saved on your computer still? I would like to look at the model but don't have the ability to model it myself!
5. What speakers did you have before?

Findo you have any more pictures?

Edit - how did you treat the cables - did you use binding posts or bare wire?

Last edited:
Hi Commited - yes, I'm definitely still happy with them :) Lately I've been focusing on the amp side of things, but the speakers haven't let me down.

I chose the BIB design because of its simplicity...and the lack of woodworking tools at my disposal.

1) I sprayed the panels. At some angles the wood grain is visible, I probably should have primed the panels first. Once it warms up then I'll take the black panels outside for a final coat.... (I'm in Winnipeg and the last few months have mostly been well below -10ºC - i.e. too cold for paint!)

2) It was fairly easy to build, the actual build occurred over a weekend. The design and planning is what took me the most time (a few weeks), as well as figuring out where to buy things, which wood to use, waiting for things to arrive, etc etc.

3) Yup, the top is wide open.

4) I tried attaching the sketchup file to this message but it tells me that it is an invalid file. PM me your email address and I'll send it via email.

5) Never had any speakers remotely like these. This is my first foray into better sounding equipment.

Good luck with your build!!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
(I'm in Winnipeg and the last few months have mostly been well below -10ºC - i.e. too cold for paint!)

For those not familiar, in Canada, Winnepeg is nicknamed Winterpeg.

Platplass, is there a stretch in the spring & fall when you can spray outdoors without getting mosquitoes in the finsh?

:D sorry couldn't resist.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.