First timer - desperately confused with the options...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Quick take on the listening impressions: handles a variety of music very well - new age instrumentals, classic rock, acoustic guitar, some POP also. Good material is very musical, very enjoyable. Bass is not a problem after pushing back towards corner and wall. I am even able to enjoy at low-medium volume from 4.5 feet of the speakers (clarity and richness is there, but the imaging and sound stage suffer).

Metal and hard rock doesn't play that well. only listenable at lower volumes. increasing the volume brings out a lot of noise... listening to Joe Satriani's "Extremist Album" - bass is a too dry and lead guitar is thin (lacking lushness and body). Amp I am using is Miniwatt N3. For metal/hard rock I Used the Foobar EQ to make some adjustments to the source - made it much better than before, though not great.

-Zia

Yes, Pit I understand. No fault of the speakers - it's just that such material will not play well on this type of system.

I plan to try out some CHR-70s in bipole and Tysen cabs later - I have read that CHR-70 is more forgiving of the source (compared to other alps), and 2 CHR70s can produce some mean bass. Also have a Super Pencil 12 build in the works (cutting nearly done, need to build the cab).

The BIBs are actually for a friend (along with the Miniwatt) - doing burn in and tweaks before I hand over (might go on for a long time :D). If I like them too much, they stay with me.

-Zia

With New Age music you have sniffed the spoor, switch to the pure drug.
Britfolk / Folk Rock.
35th band anniversary - still the Fiddler From Hell, the drummer still hasn´t found time to shave, and Maddy still doesn´t know that dancing on stage, with all the cables around, is dangerous.
I wish I had stayed as young as them.

Pit,

Just finished watching - very nice. I had not heard of them before, but reading your comments and those on the page looks like they have a loyal following. An impressive live performance, and one thing is sure - age has not slowed them down... I am specially surprised by the vocalist - belting out the words so fast to the tune is no easy feat.

I came across these guys (Gaelic Storm) last year and found this number quite enjoyable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVbD5tJ_H9w&feature=related

Celtic music has been on my like list for quite some time now, albeit more new age (Enya) and pop (The Corrs) in nature.

-Zia

Zia, and all of us -
voices and acoustic instruments are a test that leaves many alleged superboxes dead in water.
And musicians staying young...I have heard Jacques Loussier and Chris Barber, both concerts not long ago.
Both of them sold their first records in the year I was born - 1953.

Loreena McKennit - heard her name, but haven't listened seriously.

The BIBs are pretty amazing. It can handle most music with aplomb. Now listening to Madonna's Ray of Light, and they are doing a good job (despite all the distortion packed in). I was surprised...

Before this I listened to Acoustic Alchemy's "The New Edge" and as expected, it sounded superb...

I kind of scrath my head and think, are there speakers that actually sound much better than this?:D

Zia, and all of us -
voices and acoustic instruments are a test that leaves many alleged superboxes dead in water.
And musicians staying young...I have heard Jacques Loussier and Chris Barber, both concerts not long ago.
Both of them sold their first records in the year I was born - 1953.

Jacques Loussier... a name from the past which I haven't heard in a long time.
OT but in discussing vocalists, Cleo Laine has to be mentioned and well as her husband, jazz arranger John Dankworth.

As mentioned many times before, the BIB really shines on piano. I think it is because if its size and dimension that piano sounds especially real and true.

I said I'd post some pics - here's one - the BIBs standing side by side.

Cabinet sides and back is stained in reddish brown... front natural Teak.

-Zia

Attachments

• BIBs_Fe166en.jpg
    BIBs_Fe166en.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 103
Loreena McKennit - heard her name, but haven't listened seriously.

if you're interested, I'd suggest the best primer would be Nights at Alhambra - get the DVD combo, if only for the glamour shots of cellist -

great venue - huge acoustic scale

even if you don't think you're a fan of the genre, if you ever get a chance to see a live performance - do

I kind of scrath my head and think, are there speakers that actually sound much better than this?:D
you can't handle that truth

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.