F5 Turbo Circuit Boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Andy:

An update: I'm in for 8 output boards, 4 input boards and 4 power supply boards.

Would it be practical to build V3 single-ended monoblocks using 1.5 10" or 12" pieces of the "E" profile (10.08") from HeatsinkUSA per side? Their website indicates that they can cut heatsinks vertically, so an amplifier depth of about 15.12" (minus half the width of the cutting blade) is feasible. Can anyone tell me if that would be sufficient heatsinking for a 100+ watt/channel V3?

Oh boy,
Scott

Just a quick note to let you know my plans as regards boards. I would like to build 4 balanced mono blocks using the circuit that Nelson has published in the Turbo article. I think tis means that I need 4 PSU boards 8 input boards and 16 output boards. Please correct me if I am mistaken. Thanks for all for work Andy.

2 Turbo Amps

Andy,

I want 1 V2 stereo amp: 2 V2 boards and 1 PS board

I also want a pair of V3 amps (mono), so 4 output boards, 2 input boards, 2 PS boards.

I am a little confused about the PS boards: Single output boards vs just output boards.
I know you have been fiddling with these boards at the request of various member (to the good of us all, I think), could you post the boards as they stand now, so I can see what I am buying and decide which PS boards are the best and most versatile? I may buy a bunch of PS boards for future projects, just not sure what we have right now.

Thanks for your tremendous efforts,

Rush

Hi Horio,
That makes more sense, but...
Definitely not trying to rail on your plan, just trying to clarify because what we communicate here to UKtoecutter is important for success of the boards he's making for all of us.
Here is what I'm wondering. If you are populating 2 FETs now then it is basically V2. If you need V3 due to high rail voltage, then depending on how high, that heat sink might not be enough. If you are planning to populate rest of 2 FETs per outputboads later on with heatsink upgrade, chances are you are going to have to replace the heat sink with not 300mm high but more like 450mm high ones. Then using 250mm board any how does not seem to be ideal for the placement of FET on the heat sinks....

The v2 board has option for the cascode transistors so it an also be used with higher voltages. I will be using the v2 board with 30 or 35v secondary voltage, and 400x200x80 which will allow me to bias the output in order to have 50w class ainto 6ohm or more, still need to do proper math.

Andy:

An update: I'm in for 8 output boards, 4 input boards and 4 power supply boards.

Would it be practical to build V3 single-ended monoblocks using 1.5 10" or 12" pieces of the "E" profile (10.08") from HeatsinkUSA per side? Their website indicates that they can cut heatsinks vertically, so an amplifier depth of about 15.12" (minus half the width of the cutting blade) is feasible. Can anyone tell me if that would be sufficient heatsinking for a 100+ watt/channel V3?

Oh boy,
Scott
i doubt it. maybe if you get the outputs well spred over the sinks. the base plate is too thin to spred the heat over so big area.
i use 4 of those on aleph2 monos. and there is som heatspots. one of those sinks is 0.4C/W so you will end up with 0.15 with 3 pc.

1.5 10" or 12" pieces of the "E" profile (10.08") per side? sufficient heatsinking for a 100+ watt/channel V3?

You'll even have spare C's. (with a heat spreader to thermal-couple big&small)

Threshold SA/12 : 6 heatsink elements per side, with baseplate heat spreader.

Easy to grind flat as baby bottom on a mirror, works for cylinder heads.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.