F5 Turbo Circuit Boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
20 x12 heatsink is not enuff...... :confused:

Sorry, somehow the attachment got lost. Try again

I agree, unless you use a fan.

Here is a simulation using a single HeatsinkUSA E007 12 inches long with an air velocity of .679 m/s. The table show results with other air velocities.

Attachments

• e007-10x12p5-fan.jpg
    e007-10x12p5-fan.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 476

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Anyone know if I can build 7 channels inside of one chassis for my home theater?

Yes, it's possible.

The heatsinks required would be jaw-droppingly large, even with a lot of forced air. Perhaps this would be a good application of wasted-water cooling, but your water bill would be immense.

The PSU would also be a challenge, but not insurmountable. Sourcing a big-enough transformer or two would be interesting.

I realize I'm likely missing something, but I'm not sure why people are planning on trying to fit these amps into a single strangely large and unwieldy case rather than doing monoblock amps as many did with the Alephs running at similar wattages to F5T? Monoblocks allow you to simply have 2 more reasonably sized cases without having to worry about things like 20"-long heatsinks, where to buy them, how to combine them to get the size, how to assemble them in a case that isn't an eyesore, etc. Oh, and monoblocks have that 'serious business' look to them.
I guess I had wrongly assumed that monoblock cases would be typical for most F5T builds.

Austin

I realize I'm likely missing something, but I'm not sure why people are planning on trying to fit these amps into a single strangely large and unwieldy case rather than doing monoblock amps as many did with the Alephs running at similar wattages to F5T? Monoblocks allow you to simply have 2 more reasonably sized cases without having to worry about things like 20"-long heatsinks, where to buy them, how to combine them to get the size, how to assemble them in a case that isn't an eyesore, etc. Oh, and monoblocks have that 'serious business' look to them.
I guess I had wrongly assumed that monoblock cases would be typical for most F5T builds.

Austin

Plus you can split the N and P channel devices so that they are on separate heatsinks. This is exactly what I'm doing and is also why I'm doing my own PCB layout. That being said, I do appreciate the effort UKToecutter has been putting into this!

Blimey,
Massive cases!!!
Have you considered forced air cooling?

You might want to check out my old F5 build thread.

1. "Stock" Pass F5 design, standard bias levels
2. Conrad heatsinks
3. Two 120VAC fans, running at 65VAC for reduced speed and noise.
4. Airflow enters the chassis from the rear, flows through the open chassis plenum (cools the toroid, rectifiers, resistors), then UNDER the lower lip of the heatsink base, then UPWARD between the heatsink fins.
5. Airflow exits at top of amp

Outcome: heatsinks are cool to the touch..... (probably too cool). Works well.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass...usic-different-drummer.html?highlight=drummer

Austin

Maybe the same reason why people change their camshafts .... ;)

I prefer dual monos in one chassis makes for better packaging and less dollars on chassis more for parts .

Maybe the reason cigarette boats have dual engines. Hard to fit 1000 HP in one engine without performance issues.

When I read "put me in for" this or that. I'm wondering if they've read the manual since they usually want half as many power supply boards as amp boards. With V3 you need a power board for each channel.

Finished drawn a F5 turbo V1 in single layer pcb. :p Can start playing the F5 turbo soon, hoping everything goes well! :)

Way to go
why not ad cascode (just a jumper to by pass) and make speaker out track
thicker.

Turbo ready (missing diodes and P3) F5

The single box was a pain to lift (especialy as I work in the loft) even with few years experience as Rodie I needed a block to get it up and down

So I have split the build in 3
Main suply box with 1000 VA traffo and the first CRC and 2 separate amplifiers with same more caps

Sinks for the F5 are 12 W 16 H 3 D

Attachments

• FAIR F5boards 014.jpg
    FAIR F5boards 014.jpg
    573.7 KB · Views: 523
  • FAIR F5boards 003.jpg
    FAIR F5boards 003.jpg
    633.4 KB · Views: 488
  • FAIR F5boards 006.jpg
    FAIR F5boards 006.jpg
    616.3 KB · Views: 466
  • FAIR F5boards 008.jpg
    FAIR F5boards 008.jpg
    599.7 KB · Views: 431
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.