F5 Turbo Circuit Boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
how'd the length get up to 280mm ? i thought it was 250mm ?

11 + inches kinda kills it for reasonably priced heat sinks .

cheers Woody

Woody,
You will really, really need large heatsinks for this.
The size was based around the 300mm heatsinks that are commonly used.
Bear in mind you have 8 MOSFETS in class A so they are dissipating alot of heat.

Where did you get the idea about 250mm?

Andy

One possible cost effective heatsink option I was thinking of
is something like 10 wide X any length quoted ones from likes of heatsinkusa.com.
Since it is better the pins run vertical rather than horizontal, I'm considering getting 4 pieces of 10 inch wide 12inch high and bolt 2 together for each left and right side. That would make 20inch long 12 inch high per each side of stereo. Eventually I will build another one and turn them in monoblocks with higher bias current or balanced version.

-John

is something like 10 wide X any length quoted ones from likes of heatsinkusa.com.
Since it is better the pins run vertical rather than horizontal, I'm considering getting 4 pieces of 10 inch wide 12inch high and bolt 2 together for each left and right side. That would make 20inch long 12 inch high per each side of stereo. Eventually I will build another one and turn them in monoblocks with higher bias current or balanced version.

-John

Similar idea ..... going for 12 in height not sure how much class-a bias as yet , 50 watt / ch sounds about where i wanna be !!!

http://www.heatsinkusa.com/products/8.460"-Wide-x-12"-Long-Heatsink.html

4 of these per amp .... yes fan too ...

Last edited:
None of my business, but with a 0.30" base plate and 1" fins, that heatsink doesn't deliver beyond a height of 7 inches.

(y'all know it's girth that matters)

The HeatsinkUSA E007 has 2.5 inch fin height, 3/8 inch baseplate.
But I agree that increasing the length (parallel direction of fins) of the heatsink doesn't help much beyond a certain point.

-John

Here is a simulation using the HeatsinkUSA E007 - 20" wide x 12" long, 48 fins, 180 W dissipation. With natural convection, the C/W is still too high.

Attachments

• e007-20x12-conv.jpg
    e007-20x12-conv.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 446
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.