F5 Turbo Circuit Boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Cooling?

Does anybody has an idea about cooling this beast? It appears to require about a .14C/W per channel. I do not know where to find a convection cooled heatsink that can handle that much heat with the MOSFETS concentrated on a 12" board. Forced air (fans) can easily provide a factor of 3x improvement over convection.

BTW: What are the dimensions of the F5-Turbo-v2/3 board?

Hi 6L6 you have seen myne already:D

Ihquam
Gogle up

gorini srl

any size you need up to 400 mm 16in wide and any lenght cut to mesure
If you need bigher ones they can weld 2 or 3 width togheter

From personal experience Quality is good
Price put to shame any other but shipping is the killer
>> GoriniSRL Main Page << Dissipatori di Calore in Alluminio

I ran a NatSink convection simulation for the 400mm(W) x 83mm(H) x 200mm(L) heatsink with 8 MOSFETS dissipating 22 watts each. (400x83 appears to be the lowest C/W heatsink they make). The simulation shows a temperature rise of about 40C. Not good enough.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
There are good low noise fans. I use a Noctua NF-S12-1200 in my F5 and the fan isn't noticeable.

I do the same with a "babysitter" for another class A amp i have , summer in Lisbon is Hot and i want to keep hearing music.:D

And ...the fans will be even quieter if run at lower than rated voltage, all we need is air movement really not a hurricane....:D

I get 20ºC lower heatsink temp with two of these fans on the "babysitter", one each side.

In winter i don't need this helper.

Here is a heatsink simulation based on using 1-1/2 HeatsinkUSA E007.
Unfortunately, HeatsinkUSA doesn't make anything wider than 256 mm, so I cut one E007 in half and weld it to a full E007 to make a 36 fin 384 wide. The resulting heatsink is 384 mm (W) x 130 mm (L) x 74 mm (H), with a baseplate thickness of 9.5 mm and has 36 fins. Too bad that such a heatsink isn't available off-the-shelf.

The simulation assumes 8 MOSFETs dissipating 22 watts each spaced according to the F5-Turbo-v2/3 layout. I also assume FORCED CONVECTION. The image shows the heat rise using .693 m/s air flow rate. Looks pretty good.

I imagine assembling two such heatsinks with the fins facing each other and using 3x 120mm low-noise fans in the same manner I used with the F5 shown HERE: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/121228-f5-power-amplifier-1021.html#post2453420

Attachments

• e007-1p5-130.jpg
    e007-1p5-130.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 493
  • e007-1p5-130-b.jpg
    e007-1p5-130-b.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 487
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.