F5 power amplifier

ZM- Wait, are you trying to tell me the scratchy woosh sound I hear when adjusting vol/bal is not desirable? ;)

I built the kit straight, aside from some cosmetic flourishes. Eventually I'll build a new chassis, putting the controls and connectors in the proper locations, at which point I'll replace the pots (possibly ditching the balance control altogether). This will come after the ACA, and possibly speakers. When the time comes I'll post any Qs to the appropriate forum.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Just an update regarding my F5 build that everyone has been so helpful with. I ordered the matched JFETs from Spencer per Patrick's recommendation (~$40). Not $20, but better than ordering the LSs w/no guarantee of two closely matched pairs.

In the meantime I've finished the chassis, so hopefully after the JFETs arrive I'll be able to pop them into the boards and set the bias without too much drama. After that, I'll post some pretty pics. :)

Like I said earlier, this amp is for my son. I got a Bottlehead Smash preamp kit for Christmas, which I finished last night. That'll drive the F5 until I build my Amp Camp monoblocks, at which point he'll have to go back to using is AMC hybrid preamp, or build his own pre.

OK, one teaser photo, attached ;)

Wow! You certainly teased me...:D

Is that done with frontpanel express?
Love to see the pictures soon...

Walter

I'm just another newbie, fascinated by the simple design of the f5, and I decided to build it as my second project after 10 years of abcense from amp building.

All parts are already on hand, but since I will build up the amp standing vertically I'm wondering where to place all the parts in thermal issues.

CAD Construction of the amp:
f5_1.gif f5_2.gif f5_3.gif

Best placement of Caps, Amps, trafo and vent are not clear to me.
Could you support me by giving an idea which one will be the best compromise for all parts?
I'm trying to keep the temp of the Caps low while putting the pcb on the best place to dissipate the heat.
On the other hand I want to put the transformer as low as possible.

Side view:
f5_4.gif

Any ideas welcome :)
Thanks in advance!

Thank you, Zen Mod.

Both pcbs doesn't fit in one line, how much vertical distance should I keep between them?
Size of the heat sink is 270 x 430 mm

I would suggest 100 and 200mm off the ground, is this ok? Or should I put it more upwards with more distance to each other?

f5_5.jpg

Thanks for your patience with an noob :rolleyes:

The original F5 design showed 1K +100K input impedance. Later this was changed to 4.7K+ 47K. Recently at a DAC comparison a similar setup (dac/preamp) to mine sounded dread-full, which we contributed to the fact that the tube-amp in use at that day had a 12K input impedance. The suspicion being that this low input impedance was the cullpit.

My question is what the advantage/disadvantage of using the +/-50K or 100K input impedance and why was the change made to the original design?