F5 meets Buzquito

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Read the first post of this thread (4th paragraph).

In F5 ith k2013/j313 I used NTCs although you can go without them (these MOSFETs have their zero tempco at Id=0.6A and I biased them at 0.4A per MOSFET).

Ok, sorry it has been too long since I have read the first post.:worship:

Can you comment specifically on the bass response (round, tight, ...) for your 2 amps with pi-mos devices.

Thanks

Those amps are not in my possesion any more and I am not good at writing audiophile panegyrics anyway, but I'd rate the bass performance of both amps as excellent (subtle differences were notable im more complex areas - overall coherency of presentation, natural sound of instruments...)

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Front end supply

Since the PS voltage for the output stage can be different from the front end, it could probably help to get more power to have 7-10v more for the front end. Maybe even a regulated supply for the front end ... But I have experienced - without knowing why - that even simple bypass caps on the supply were only making things worse (oscillation) for this type of amp. So, can you comment on the optimized power supply scheme.

Thanks

Upping just the front stage PS voltage won't give you more power because Laterals are not very efficient output devices. At higher power working regime (say, output current = 5A) we will be loosing 5V at high Rds (about 1 Ohm for Laterals).

As for bypassing, if the circuit is sensitive I usually make it stable using small C + small R all parrallel to big C type of arrangement.

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Upping just the front stage PS voltage won't give you more power because Laterals are not very efficient output devices. At higher power working regime (say, output current = 5A) we will be loosing 5V at high Rds (about 1 Ohm for Laterals).

Front stage PS voltage increase should not have impact on output stage dissipation. 5A for one lateral means 10A for a pair! For a +/-25Vdc supply that is a low load impedance... These Larelas have been used in pairs for more than 100W/8 ohms power amps. I was considering increasing the front stage supply to compensate for the VAS and VGSoff voltage losses.

As for bypassing, if the circuit is sensitive I usually make it stable using small C + small R all parrallel to big C type of arrangement.

Thanks for the tip. Do you install this snubber close to the Power caps or on the amp pcb?

Thanks

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I did it

Those amps are not in my possesion any more and I am not good at writing audiophile panegyrics anyway, but I'd rate the bass performance of both amps as excellent (subtle differences were notable im more complex areas - overall coherency of presentation, natural sound of instruments...)

Hi juma,

I have finished an implementation of the "F5-Buzquito" and I am quite please with the sound so far. It is definitely an improvement over my F5. I would describe the sound in the same way you did. :violin:

I have also used the Toshiba pair K2013/J313 for the VAS. As outputs I have used dual pairs of Laterals K176/J56 (TO-3) that I had for years in stock. However I used different resistors values because of the parts I had. For jfet I have used about 60% of max IDss and for VAS about 60ma to have Lateral mosfet bias of about 1.1A.

I intend to also try to add a crossover displacer to see what it does for the sound...

Thanks again juma for sharing this design with us.:up:

Fab

Last edited:

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
R25 value

Hi Gabor,
The trick is to adjust it nicely. R5 and R6 set the current through k2013/j313 drivers (try different values, about 100mA worked for me) and voltage drop across R9 and R10 sets the current through output laterals. R25 loads the Q3 and Q4, you might want to lower it somewhat (I liked 4k7 in the end). R23 and R24 degenerate voltage gain MOSFETs and if you change their value, you'll have to readjust R5 and R6.

As you see, this is not an industrial type of amp (build-it-by-manual approach is no good here) and you'll have to find the balance of values that suits your sound preferences.
Just take it easy, don't rush it (don't burn anything ;) ) take time to listen, and you'll be fine...

I don't know how to design solid state circuits so if I am way off, please go easy on me. I can follow directions pretty well and have scratch built many tube amps and pre-amps.

I have built this amp using all the parts in the original schematic (attached) with the exception of the output MOSFETS I used a quad set of 2SK134/2SJ49 as comes in the Hafler DH200. I am using a +19-0--19 volt DC rail supply.

I can't get any current on the 2SK2013/2SJ313 and 2SK134/2SJ49. It occurred to me that R25 would not let much current flow and that seems to be my problem. I adjust R5 & R6 and the offset and the current through the outputs is the same. If I try to balance it out I get 0 bias with 0 offset.
I tried 4k7 in place of the 10k with no different result.
Sure hope you can help me out.

Attachments

• Buzq+F5_SCH.gif
    Buzq+F5_SCH.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 923
Rush, your output MOSFETs are fine (they are Hitachi Laterals too).
If you have 3mA flowing through input JFETs (I suppose they are labeled k170/j74 GR), you'll have to set R5 and R6 to about 700-800R to get some current flowing through Q3/Q4. If you still don't get any current through Q3/Q4 it means that you miswired something.
Current flowing through Q3/Q4 creates the voltage drop on R9/R10 which opens the gates of output MOSFETs and current starts flowing through them too.
R25 has nothing to do with it - it's just a load for Q3/Q4 VAS stage.

Last edited: