• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Euro Stevens and Billington TX102 Group Purchase

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for your kind words, Matt.

I'd like to say a big thanks to Gregm who really rolled up his sleeves and got stuck in.

But the biggest thanks have to go to Brian and JB who have really put themselves out for us, and to Kuei who I am sure did some sterling work behind the scenes..... :angel:

Roll on Xmas!! :D

Jon

Jon and Greg, just want to add my thanks as well. Thank you for making this happen.

While I am here does anyone know the physical dimensions of the TX102 transformers? I want to buy some enclosures for my Power amps and it would be nice to get something for the pre that matches.

Hi Badge,

I'm no expert but I can't see why not - the relays are performing a mechanical function. Of course, they would have to be electrically isolated - I thought all relays were. I don't know about the effect the proximity of another current (within the relay) would have on the signal current in the TX102 wires.

Any thoughts all?

Jon

Thanks for your kinds words... it was fun really & Jon's wiki is the only way I could afford these cans...

Remote control:

1) The copious, mechanical way is to buy a stepped motor and connect it to the multiswitch via pulley & long shaft (Bent does that I think). Unless one finds a supplier for a remote controlled step motor and a ladder belt (I haven't), this can be a nightmare.
2)
Originally posted by Badge
...I am looking at the remote volume kits from Hong Kong. They use a series of relays, each with a specific resistor. Seems like it would be easy to not use the resistors and hook up the correct transformer attenuation wire to each relay. Your thoughts?
This is the way I'm going, too. I'm already using relays for the selector. One matter there, as Jon notes, is to play with ground in order to isolate the relays from the signal otherwise there's a thump every time you change the volume. But that's manageable...

Much to my dismay, however, I found the cost of quality relays + remote function purchased separately, to be prohibitive:(

So Badge's idea of a kit seems the most viable proposition... except for the quality of the relays.

UNFORTUNATELY, when I tried the bog standard, by the pound, relays on a friend's resistor volume control they sounded MUCH worse than the "quality" ones. So skimping on the relays would be defeating the whole sonic purpose of buying the transformer...

The bad news: this friend purchased the "quality" RF relays direct from a B2B electronics supplier for eur: 4/each minimum order 100 pieces:dead:

I managed to bum a few for my selector but can hardly ask him for another 24 for the volume. So it seems I'm stuck with the manual switch for now...

Gregm said:
The bad news: this friend purchased the "quality" RF relays direct from a B2B electronics supplier for eur: 4/each minimum order 100 pieces:dead:

I managed to bum a few for my selector but can hardly ask him for another 24 for the volume. So it seems I'm stuck with the manual switch for now...

This could be solved by another group buy...
I am currently designing a RC operated switch for a transformer based attenuator.
Per channel 13 relais are necessary, so that would be 26 for a stereo set.
So the 100 relay minimum should be achievable.

Do you have info on the relay, i was designing for gold plated dil relais?

Thanks,

Peter

GP Update

Hi All,

In order to allow Brian time in his busy schedule, please will you pass any queries you may have about the GP to either me or Gregm?

I will be receiving an order list from Brian when it is complete. This list will remain with me to ensure everyone's privacy, and I will use it only to inform you when your items are shipping. Thereafter, it will be deleted. I will not pass any info on to third parties etc.

If anyone has any issues with this (data protection etc), please mail me.

All the best

Jon :)

I have just designed a PCB for a relay attenuator, as some of you may have seen in the "Solid State" forum - based on squadra's idea/schematic. It looks like the cost is about $72 or 70€ for a kit of PCB, relays and other parts. A control/remote control receiver board would be needed also, but that doesn't have to cost a lot.

What's needed? A rotary encoder for volume setting? up/down buttons? LED display? LCD display? No display? Or 20 LEDs? :)

The price mentioned above is based on one kit. If I order parts for more kits it will go down. But how much interest is there?

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Mikkel, This is what I am looking for as long as it is a transparent as possible. You might want to look at the kits our of Hong Kong that have a numeric display and remote. It might be wise to use your design for the relay hook up and combine that with their display/receiver?

Update

All,

just to let you know that the 102s will be dispatched in batches, over a few weeks, as they are manufactured.

For those of you outside the EU, you will be later in the delivery schedule because the 102s need to go to Brian first.

More info as it becomes available.

Cheers

Jon

PS Anyone know anything about chain-sawing marble??? ;)

Badge said:
Mikkel, This is what I am looking for as long as it is a transparent as possible.
I don't think relays are less transparent than a rotary switch.

You might want to look at the kits our of Hong Kong that have a numeric display and remote. It might be wise to use your design for the relay hook up and combine that with their display/receiver?
Are you talking about the kits on the diyclub.biz site? I can't find anything that looks suitable for this application there?

But the display and receiver part is very simple to design, so that's no problem.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.