• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Euro Stevens and Billington TX102 Group Purchase

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Pricing, and S&B vs. Sowter

Gregm said:
You've compared them acoustically?

Not with ABX test.

If so, do give an overview of impressions and complement the comparison referred to by Kuei.

TL said that Sowter is in "good mid-fi" range, with which I can hardly agree.

As regards the transformer group buy, it would be best if someone from the group, whose credibility is thought by the rest to be unquestionable and judgment unbiased, could get test transformers from both manufacturers, compare them and then take a purchase decision for the entire group.

One good kit with Sowters:
http://mapage.noos.fr/dom.mafrand/kit.htm

my preamp:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23086&highlight=

Regards
Milan

Re: Re: Pricing, and S&B vs. Sowter

Konnichiwa,

moamps said:
TL said that Sowter is in "good mid-fi" range, with which I can hardly agree.

You may wish to put them side by side in a reasonably resolving system to make the comparison. It is quite illuminating. I can only comment on what it sounded to me, in my system.

Note, I am not saying the Sowters are bad, on the contrary, the upper Mid-Fi range contains a lot of excellent gear which merely falls short in some areas or a little overall, sort of like Stereophile Class A and Class B. Much of the Class B stuff is "upper Mid-Fi".

moamps said:
As regards the transformer group buy, it would be best if someone from the group, whose credibility is thought by the rest to be unquestionable and judgment unbiased, could get test transformers from both manufacturers

I am all for such tests....

Sayonara

Originally posted by cjunk
May be we can modify the wiki so that everyone can express his favourite choice...

That makes sense, although I wouldn't like to hijack jonclancy's wiki. Maybe Jon himself is game for this.

Otherwise, and since it seems probable that a euro GB for Django would ultimately end up with R Bastanis, maybe one of us living in Germany would be willing?

I could do the initial mailing myself, but as I'm based Athens, it would mean added transportation cost (I'm also not quite sure how to get the payment thingy right...).

Originally posted by moamps
One good kit with Sowters
Interesting. The kit costs 580 euro vs. the Django at ~667 euro+vat, etc. BTW, your own pre looks fantastic and labour intensive! I had considered using relays instead of switches -- but at 4euro/relay + cost of remote control, that option quickly put me out of budget.

Hi All,

Firstly, feel free to alter the WIKI - that's the whole idea of it! :D

I think some really good ideas on this GB are floating around - nice one.

As for me, I was wanting the TX102s as components as I have a prototype I want to develop over the next few months. I am interested in finding some high quality switchery for a decent price, but the Django kit might be too complete for me (if that makes any sense! :) ).

However, the idea of using an EU-based distro does have lots of merit (and perhaps a parallel GB with Bent Audio for those over in the US) - it sorts out the VAT and Duty issue for a start.

Time to do a bit of surfing to follow up the links I've been sent (many thanks!!).

Jon :)

I have a Bent version of the S&B Tx102 MkII available for anyone interested. Never used. Can ship in same box it came in. I'm thinking $435 for a pair including shipping in US. E me if interested. They are not used because I opted to spring for the newer version when it came out, since I hadn't gone through the work of doing all the soldering on my original unit yet.

BTW, for those looking for a Shallco switch, you can buy them directly from Shallco. Go to their web site at www.shallco.com.
They will also do custom orders. For a volume control, you may want to ask for a lighter spring.

News!!

....news from Brian Cherry.

Brians is offering a one-off deal which allows most of us to avoid duties, and reshipping expenses.
As Brian notes, this is a "one-time offer": neither Brian nor JB wish to upset dealers -- but hope to widen the scope of this product through those of us that accept.

1. TX102: Twenty (20) pairs minimum
    Very important: Cans shipped to INDIVIDUAL destinations, EITHER from the UK, OR HK!! So, this doesn't have to be a "EURO" buy any more...
    Seiden switches also available, shipping from HK.
    The deal is somewhat urgent (for obvious "dealer" reasons mentioned above)
    [/list=1]
    Jon's wiki had reached 17 pairs.
    1) Are we all still interested?
    2) Any more takers??? We'd need a minimum of 3 more.

Cheers,
    Greg.

Pinging KevinTams

KevinTams also entered the Wiki (btw, no way to mail you so contact Jon or me directly).

This brings us to 18 pairs.
Two to go, hoping everyone else is still on the bandwagon.

Yoke, would you be interested in entering the Wiki? Either Jon or I will be mailing you directly. Jon has already gone into the trouble of creating a group-mail thingy, so we have to get ourselves organised here...

Cheers,
Greg

S&B ping

Hi Greg, I've emailed Jon as you are not setup to be emailed from the forum. I've changed my preferences to be able to be emailed.

Definitely interested in the GP I just need to know what we are buying, just the transformers, or inc. the switch, or the kit? and obviously at what price.

thanks for the effort
Kevin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.