Elna Silmic II EOL announced

Here i was just looking for silmicII at Digikey and Mouser and first assume there was lack of supply till i came across this thread, Its a shame they discontinued them, the company is into mass production maybe? and the SilmicsII were just not viable for them. Not sure what to use know though, Rubycon had some audio grade caps, not sure of the series and also UCC, but i am sure of the series

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Cerafine were fine in bulging. Bad caps.

Please consider the industrially used series of cap manufacturers if you like consistent results and longevity. Production volume is way higher and thus the reliability too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Everyone keeps debating the audio differences between various capacitors that is "heard" but has anyone done A/B comparisons on a Spectrogram (or Spectrum Analyzer) to measure or "see" the audible differences? This would end the debate.

(like analyzing in the attached image comparing the audio recorded being played back on the same speakers, same song, same volume, but with various capacitors - to see if there is an actual sound difference)

Attachments

• spectrogramview_intro_00.png
    spectrogramview_intro_00.png
    62.9 KB · Views: 19
What would you look for on the spectrogram if you wanted to know the audible effects of Current Noise, Leakage Noise, Dielectric Absorption, and ESR versus Frequency, respectively?

IOW, please describe the visible aspects of the spectrogram appears that applies to each of the above measurable capacitor characteristics. Also please describe how the spectrogram appearance is calibrated to known Thresholds of Audibility for each capacitor physical effect.

Reactions: 1 user